• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tastes like chicken......

By Associated Press
Posted April 12 2007, 7:51 AM EDT

Lost arm
See larger image
(AFP/Getty Images)

TAIPEI, Taiwan -- A zoo worker had his forearm reattached Thursday after his colleagues recovered the severed limb from the mouth of a 440-pound Nile crocodile, an official said...

28972205.jpg

Crikey, look at the hand on the arm, it's just about to put a bad a$$ move on the croc. I see a flip in the crocs future. :biggrin:

doc l.... a dentist's nightmare, eh?:biggrin:

I just saw the story this morning ..... at least they got the arm back and it was reattached to the owner after several hours of surgery.

Dude looks like he is feeling no pain in that last pic.

A couple years ago I had to re-attach part of a foot from a shark bite, but thank God I didn't have to wrestle the shark to get it back. They must have killed the croc. to get that way from him. I can't image he would easily part with that snack. :wink:

It's amazing how they can re-attach limbs like that. So many blood vessels and nerves, muchless the bone and ligament structures around that part of the arm. Does it more or less heal itself once you do the dirty work?

They must have killed the croc. to get that way from him. I can't image he would easily part with that snack. :wink:

The Croc is actually an endangered species and is still alive. It was tranqualized when it bit off the arm, then they shot it two more times (with a real gun) and it dropped it, but they couldn't find any bullet holes in the croc :eek:

what a croc

wtfrick! here's a picture of a "croc tamer"
crocguy.jpg

note the dead eye...jeeeez:wink:

reattachment surgery : The surgical attachment of a severed limb that involves reconnecting the arteries and grafting skin and muscle together. Some reattachment procedures also involve putting the patient in a hyperbolic chamber, which can cause the blood vessels, skin, muscle and nerve tissues to regenerate more quickly and completely.

http://www.amputee-coalition.org/nllic_faq.html

It's amazing how they can re-attach limbs like that. So many blood vessels and nerves, muchless the bone and ligament structures around that part of the arm. Does it more or less heal itself once you do the dirty work?

Bone and ligament re-attachment is the easy part, get the fractured bones close to each other and use plates, screws, rods or external fixation to keep them there and they should heal. Once you find the major blood vessels, re-attaching those is a long, hard job. Nerves, you do your best and I can guarantee they will have permanant numbness and certain degree of loss of function/movement. Greatest risk is of bone or soft tissue infection and gangrene post-op.

reattachment surgery : The surgical attachment of a severed limb that involves reconnecting the arteries and grafting skin and muscle together. Some reattachment procedures also involve putting the patient in a hyperbolic chamber, which can cause the blood vessels, skin, muscle and nerve tissues to regenerate more quickly and completely.

http://www.amputee-coalition.org/nllic_faq.html

Hyperbaric oxygen chamber

Bone and ligament re-attachment is the easy part, get the fractured bones close to each other and use plates, screws, rods or external fixation to keep them there and they should heal. Once you find the major blood vessels, re-attaching those is a long, hard job. Nerves, you do your best and I can guarantee they will have permanant numbness and certain degree of loss of function/movement. Greatest risk is of bone or soft tissue infection and gangrene post-op.

Hyperbaric oxygen chamber

Interesting, thanks for both regarding that information. I once had a 'boating' accident as a child and before i realized it my right knee cap was dangling from my leg, more or less. It didn't hurt because many nerves were severed and I was probably in shock, but I could still 'hobble' around until I went to the hospital. After an inordinate amount of cleaning/disinfecting they numbed it up [THAT part hurt] and put it all back together. As you mentioned, I had numbness along the front of my shin for about 5 years but luckily didn't lose any noticeable control over any muscles. Now everything has 'corrected' itself except for a 2 inch in diameter circle over my knee cap which remains numb.

I used to work in a hyperbaric chamber that was at Shands hospital in Gainesville, FL. It's used to treat all sorts of different conditions and quite often it was used for wound healing.

The strangest case we had though was a guy who had chopped off his own penis because he was very confused about his deep love for God and also his love for prostitutes. Needless to say all sharp instruments were cleared from the chamber before his treatments.

Air embolisms were the toughest treatments. When the treatment started they would take you down to 165 ft of pressure. The same as doing a 165 ft scuba dive. Your voice would sound really bizarre. Very unique experience.

NSX-Stalker

Will his arm be completely functional after all the surgeries are complete? I saw the article in the ny post. What a crazy story!

By Associated Press
Posted April 12 2007, 7:51 AM EDT

Lost arm
See larger image
(AFP/Getty Images)

TAIPEI, Taiwan -- A zoo worker had his forearm reattached Thursday after his colleagues recovered the severed limb from the mouth of a 440-pound Nile crocodile, an official said...

28972205.jpg

Someone really needs to photoshop that middle finger up.

-j-

Back