• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Taylor Guitars

Once again, ole moneybags here is on a quest for a musical instrument for one of my children. So far, I have bought: two flutes, a piccolo, a sax, Fender MexiStrat, Line 6, crappo drums and bass w/ Fender, Shure mic, full Yamaha 600w club pa.........)

Being the cheap bastard, I am looking at USED guitars...Taylor accoustic-electric guitars for my 12 year old daughter.

If I just went and bought new, I would probably go with a 414 ce ($1900 at Guitar Center). I figure this or a 314 ce are the lower-level serious guitars. the 100 and 200 series have some laminate in them now.

Question 1: Is it worth it to get a newer model (2004+, I think) that has the Taylor Expression system instead of the Fishman that comes in older models? I was thinking yes.

Question 2: Do any of you have 514-814 and recommend highly over a 414?

Question 3: What to avoid?

This is for semi-paying coffee shop and small amature shows, performing own music, strum and pick...hopefully to progress to a little more...

I would like to spend less than $1000 for a nice 414 w/ Expression or not-so-nice +models w/Fishman...

Would also like to hear from any Taylor owners...

Thanks,

Bill

I am not too familiar with Taylor guitars, since I play mostly Ibanez and ESP electrics. But another factor you may also consider is comfort. Some guitars look really great, but are not the most comfortable to play. I usually select guitars on tone first, then comfort second.

Back