• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

TB/Water Pump Service in So Cal?

Hello,

It is time for the 90K service. Niguel Motors has performed my last 2 clutch replacements, I'm a bit weary about how thorough they will be with this sensitive service. I contacted Autowave, and its like $2500+ for the TB/Water Pump job, not including hoses or valve adjustment. Any other good shops in so cal that will do a excellent job at a reasonable price?

I was also thinking about skipping it all together, if the TB fails, then I would just rebuild the motor at that time or purchase a low mileage engine. I think that work is about $5K. My car already has 190K miles.

Hello,

It is time for the 90K service. Niguel Motors has performed my last 2 clutch replacements, I'm a bit weary about how thorough they will be with this sensitive service. I contacted Autowave, and its like $2500+ for the TB/Water Pump job, not including hoses or valve adjustment. Any other good shops in so cal that will do a excellent job at a reasonable price?

I was also thinking about skipping it all together, if the TB fails, then I would just rebuild the motor at that time or purchase a low mileage engine. I think that work is about $5K. My car already has 190K miles.

:confused:

I had all that service and more done by Ramon at Niguel Motors and was very satisfied, plus the cost was a lot less than anyone else. You need to check through the SoCal threads for all the people that have been very happy with their work.

Last edited:
I don't even have my NSX yet, but when I do, that's where I'll be taking mine also since Ramon came highly recommended by everyone.

I have used John Martin before, very reasonable priced, but not sure if he still in the automotive industry.

Sorry but I called Ramon this afternoon to discuss this. There is NO ONE in the NSX SoCal group that could say ONE word against him. Tom and he are #1.
I called him because you said he had done two clutches for you. Sorry, there can not be 10 people in SoCal that have put TWO clutches in there NSX ever, sorry, just doesn't pass the bullshit test.
He had no idea who you were and doesn't remember replacing the clutch on ANY car more then once (except race cars). So if you are a customer please idenify yourself, stand up and voice your concerns and we'll all move on. If you were not treated respectfully and correctly let us know. We are concerned everyone is treated properly. If not, I can't understand where were are coming from, I question both your position and ethics.
No more to say!

Hello,

Reading your post over a few times, it seems like the emphasis is on price more than the service or the mechanic. I have no doubt that Ramon is the most price effective mechanic in socal. He's owned more than 5 NSX's and currently owns 2 at this point.

Picking a good mechanic, is comparable to a good doctor, or a safe babysitter. You place your trust/life into these hands. Unless he made you unhappy at one point or another, there is no reason for change.

Letting your engine go to toast and putting a used one in/rebuilt is a shame. There are documented NSX's that are over 478+K on the motor and still running. You're not not even at half life, why intentionally destroy it?

Just my .02

Let me also add something:

I don't know names on this board very well, but at NSXPO here is what I witness on a personal level.

A member had a medical problem in Las Vegas, and he was there in the hospital for a few days, Niguel Motors happen to be there and drove his car all the way back to California and even stored the car at their shop for 2 weeks until the member was able to get on his feet and pick up the car.

That shows me that he's not just about the business, but for the well being of others.

Hey I'm not in Cal but when you do your TB/WP service, make sure you do the plugs and the valve seal gaskets. The motors down anyways so you might as well. I paid $2400 taxes in when i did mine and i changed the plugs and gaskets too...and we pay 13% tax on all goods and services in TO. That price seems steep but I don't live in Cal.

Let me also add something:

I don't know names on this board very well, but at NSXPO here is what I witness on a personal level.

A member had a medical problem in Las Vegas, and he was there in the hospital for a few days, Niguel Motors happen to be there and drove his car all the way back to California and even stored the car at their shop for 2 weeks until the member was able to get on his feet and pick up the car.

That shows me that he's not just about the business, but for the well being of others.

I am the member you are referring to. What you state is exactly correct. Ramon and Tom took care of everything for me. They are without a doubt the best and most honest car people I deal with. I'm very lucky to have them as friends.

+2:smile:

Don't know what the issue is with Ramon and Tom.:confused:

Ramon is doing mine this past week and is taking care of everything. I said "Ramon, I need to do the TB/WP service." He's like "While I'm in there, I'll do fuel pump, valves, seals, plugs, fluids, everything for you, a complete service since everything is apart anyway."

and...he doesn't drop the motor to do this. An excellent option in my opinion.

I pick her up tomorrow morning.:biggrin:

Last edited:
My 94 has 82k miles on it. Still original timing belt. Am I risking it? It's fully stock and has been gently driven for all these years but I have been out of work for a while and am not sure what to do.

I emailed Ramon but the mail was bounced back. Is he still in business?

I live in the lower Ventura county area near Westlake Village. I do have Westlake Independent here.. they do have an NSX guy who seems good but I am looking for someone that has done so many of these he can do them in their sleep! And I liked the post about the other things he takes care of while doing the work.

Thanks!

Jona

My 94 has 82k miles on it. Still original timing belt. Am I risking it? It's fully stock and has been gently driven for all these years but I have been out of work for a while and am not sure what to do.

I emailed Ramon but the mail was bounced back. Is he still in business?

I live in the lower Ventura county area near Westlake Village. I do have Westlake Independent here.. they do have an NSX guy who seems good but I am looking for someone that has done so many of these he can do them in their sleep! And I liked the post about the other things he takes care of while doing the work.

Thanks!

Jona
Hi Jona, He is certainly in business. Some of his customers drop there car off and use the rail system home and back. Mario just picked his car up using that method as was very satisfied.

So he still currently employed there? That is really great news, John is a good guy.
Hi there. I was told by a very reliable source John now works for the Honda dealer across the street for South Coast Acura. At the next meet I plan to get there early to say hi to him.

Back