• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

TCS/ALB/handbrake and rear brake light warning lights

The auto electrician spent three hours last night going back over the car and discovered that if he unplugged the multiplug for the rear loom that comes through from the engine compartment and then plugs it back in the lights then take longer to come back on when test driving. In effect what was activated by a few pushes or the brake pedal now takes a 10 minutes drive with numerous brake pedal applications to activate. If you then stop the car and re start the lights reactivate within a few pushes of the pedal unless you break and remake the connection at the multiplug.
From a novice viewpoint this would point at an issue with this connect bit it is clean so any other ideas?

Possible but it's more likely that unplugging the connector is doing a reset of something. This is the harness behind the driver seat or passengers? Have you tried pulling the ALB fuse #32 in the underhood fuse/relay box for 3 seconds?

Mike

Possible but it's more likely that unplugging the connector is doing a reset of something. This is the harness behind the driver seat or passengers? Have you tried pulling the ALB fuse #32 in the underhood fuse/relay box for 3 seconds?

Mike

Pulling the fuse was the first thing we tried Mike. The multiplug is on the left hand side of the boot as you look into it near the bulkhead between the boot and the engine compartment. (Boot being trunk of course)

Oh i see, was thinking you meant inside the cabin. So this is the 20/22 pin harness plug in the trunk over the left rear wheel? Then you probably need to have the Right rear wheel ABS sensor tested as it is in that harness. Don't know how easy to get to it but you could try disconnecting the plug for the wheel sensor for a few seconds like you did for the harness plug to see if you get the same results.

Mike

Oh i see, was thinking you meant inside the cabin. So this is the 20/22 pin harness plug in the trunk over the left rear wheel? Then you probably need to have the Right rear wheel ABS sensor tested as it is in that harness. Don't know how easy to get to it but you could try disconnecting the plug for the wheel sensor for a few seconds like you did for the harness plug to see if you get the same results.

Mike

OK Mike,
I thought the ABS and TCS lights were just a result of the brake lights being activated as these systems shut down as a consequence of a fault with the brakes. Do you think the ABS sensor could be triggering the brake light fault to start with?

That's what i was thinking too. What you said about the harness plug changing the problem made me look to the wiring in that harness. The right rear ABS sensor seems to be the only related wiring in the harness so it would be worth a check.

I don't remember you saying if you did the tests from post #13. Do you see a ground all the time, even when the e-brake and fluid level switches are unplugged?

All i can say is it shouldn't trigger the brake warning light but that's not to say it won't. I have seen lots of things happen in electronics that weren't suppose to.

Mike

That's what i was thinking too. What you said about the harness plug changing the problem made me look to the wiring in that harness. The right rear ABS sensor seems to be the only related wiring in the harness so it would be worth a check.

I don't remember you saying if you did the tests from post #13. Do you see a ground all the time, even when the e-brake and fluid level switches are unplugged?

All i can say is it shouldn't trigger the brake warning light but that's not to say it won't. I have seen lots of things happen in electronics that weren't suppose to.

Mike

I'll ask the auto electrician Mike as I am unsure what he checked but all suggestions are welcome

Hi Mike,
The lights all come on with igition and then go out when the car is first started. After about 5 minutes the rear brake light and hand brake lights come on and then when you accelerate to over 15-20mph the ABS and TCS lights come on. If I stop the car, turn of the ignition and re start the lights go out again and the same cyle will occur.

I purchased a volt meter on line last night to do th tests and I assume by ground you mean that when I connect the voltmeter to the wire and then the other terminal of the meter to earth I shouold get a reading? Sorry I am a total novice when it come to electrics so forgive the question

Kind Regards

Scott

Last few days, my hand brake lights only came on when hard braking, it turned off when I released the brake, but today the lights keep on, then ALB and TSC as well. I checked the fluid level at max mark. What are the possible causes ?

Thanks.

Ok we have a solution. The auto electrician has run a wire to bypass the resistor on the light cluster and the warning lights are no longer coming on. He believes there is a fault with the looms on the rear lights as the resistors have been swapped out so will make up new looms for the lights now we have narrowed down the issue.

Back