• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

TCS on or off?

Do you routinely drive on the street with TCS on or off?

• Total voters
Off always.

I've actually gone as far as unplugging it. After owning/driving the car for 10 years plus... for me there's nothing worst than TCS.

Simply personal preference... but I can't stand it.

I drive with it off when I remember. There is nothing worse then giving the car a little throttle coming out of a corner and the power cuts out because of the TCS, so annoying!

I usually run with it on, simply because I'm not thrashing on the car on the street anyway (typically). I took my boss for a ride the other day in it and when I spun a U-turn I got on it a bit, ass end started kicking out and then she fell on her face. It was nice to know it works properly, but at the same time, it killed the moment of "spirited" driving. lol

Mines no longer working now that I have replaced the ECU with the EMS series 2.

EMS stage 2 can retain stock TCS with minor issues of it turning itself off occasionally or you can use the native TCS that is included with the S2 but requires some additional set-up programming.

On an N/A car TCS is an annoyance that I used to turn off because it can be a momentum-killer. However with a high HP car I rather like the safety net- I think that stock TCS works well at 400 HP + and it seems to take just enough of the edge off.

Why would you turn it off for street driving? Are some of you actually sliding in corners on the street? Please explain further.

Mine is always on unless at the track.

ON for me.
I learned quickly when I did a 360 making a U-Turn on a 4 lane road.
A little throttle and it spun around like a top.

I can still kick the back end loose ~10% degrees or so around a corner with it on.
That's all I need.

Last edited:
I keep mine on just because I hate driving with dash lights on lol

Routinely, I drive with TCS on. I've turned it off a couple of times to get the rear end out (only when the conditions warranted). I'd never leave it off as a matter of routine.

Always OFF - street or, of course, track...... that is unless the pavement on the street is damp, then ON.

Always on. We had our first very short shower in the past 6 weeks and I got caught in it. The roads in South Texas get like ice on the first rain. The rear kicked out when I changed from 2nd to 3rd without very much throttle. I was glad it was on. Then, I was worried about the clowns around me who were slipping and sliding. These unicorns are far too rare to take chances on the streets. It was bad enough getting caught in the rain.

Off at all times, unplugged it as well. I used to leave it on but due to wheel change on the 91 to a 17/18 setup the TCS would kick on all the time for no reason.

On because the light is annoying, if I'm going to drive fast ill turn it off

Off always. I learned my lesson when making a quick U-turn and expecting to power slide if necessary, but instead power was cut leaving me in an OH SH!! situation during heavy oncoming traffic.

At the track, TCS & ABS = OFF.

I feel the engineers really designed TCS for rain/snow/ice conditions. Otherwise normal conditions it's a bit optimistic or wishful thinking, stock it just doesn't have that much power to be justified.

Last edited:
exactly what does it feel like when the TCS comes on? does it feel as if the engine will not make power for a second, then it comes on strong?
as if you have a lag in the power?

That's what it feels like to me. I notice it most when I do a hard acceleration followed by a quick shift from 1st to 2nd, especially on uneven roads.

I leave it On (default position) 99% of the time. On the track I turn it off, as well as do the hand brake trick to turn off the ABS (first gen ABS kind of sucks).

Off at all times, unplugged it as well. I used to leave it on but due to wheel change on the 91 to a 17/18 setup the TCS would kick on all the time for no reason.
Actually, the TCS doesn't kick on "for no reason". In the case of a 17"/18" wheel setup, it almost certainly goes on because you chose the wrong tire sizes. The TCS on a '91 won't activate if you're using the proper tire sizes - 215/40-17 front and 265/35-18 rear.

Back