Tcs

Hello all, I read some information about TCS issues. But some prelimary info might help here. I just changed the tires all the way around yesterday. I kept the same size front and rear as before. The only difference is brand, I went from Yokes to Nitto's. Now the TCS green light will flicker on and start to react under medium to heavy acceleration. Dry roads, going stright too. I can turn it off, but I am wondering how much tire pressure plays a role in this. It seems odd that a sensor would be an issue here to happen at the same time tires were changed. Any input or anyone else's experince with this would be helpful. Thanks in advance. 92', All stock except for wheels, tires, and driled rotors.

Two possible causes.

The more likely is indeed the tire sizes. One brand's tires are not necessarily the exact same size as another brand's tires (even if the nominal size on the tirewall is the same). If your tires were non-stock sizes that were close to the threshold for the TCS to operate, changing brands could indeed have put you just over that threshold. What tire sizes are they?

The other possibility is that new tires are often slippery for the first few hundred miles, due to the mold release lubricant on the surface of the tire. This could cause wheelspin and the TCS to activate.

Thanks nsxtasy. The tire sizes are 225/40/17 up front and 255/40/17 in back. They tried to talk me into 275/40/17 on the back but after looking at the tire chart in the faq I said no to that due to the issue which you suggested. The second option you mentioned may be the ticket. I think I will try to drive it with the TCS off for a week or so before I start to throw money at the problem. Thanks for the info.

You may have this effect also when the tires aren't new any more. The NSX has a very good traction that stresses tires that are not capable of bringing it to the ground. I would claim the Nittos to be not as grippy as the OEM brands or other aftermarket tires.

I had this effect when I drove Dunlop snow tires - on dry roads I had TCS flickering up to 3rd gear (of 6) under heavy acceleration. On the track I experienced this effect also with OEM Yokos and Michelin MXX 3 up to 2nd gear - but we're talking about maximum foot an the gas.

You may switch to better tires next time.

tmc/nsx said:
The tire sizes are 225/40/17 up front and 255/40/17 in back.
That could be the problem. The front size is 4.4 percent larger in outer diameter than stock, and the rear is 0.7 percent larger. That means that the front-to-rear ratio is changing by 3.7 percent - supposedly within the 5 percent threshold for proper TCS operation, but possibly not, due to size variation, and this will get worse as the rears wear faster than the front. I would have chosen 215/40-17 in front (3.0 percent larger than stock), which would make both sizes the same as '02-04 stock, and change the front to rear ratio by only 2.3 percent.

NSX-Racer may also be right; the Nittos are not all that grippy, and this could be a factor as well.

Thanks guys. I would tend to say that the tire grip is probably the culprit, deducing that I had almost the same exact size as before with no problems. Hopefully after I scrub these tires up a bit they will be more grippy and this won't be much of an issue. To be continued...thanks again.

Back