• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tein Problem

My Teins were installed by a well-known NSX mechanic. Since the install, I only have put about 500 mi normal street miles. There was little if any spirited driving (that is another story.)

I recently inspected my front end and found that the front sway linkages are abutting against the Tein lower damper and have caused denting and ?thinning of the tein aluminum.
The front sway is RM.

Why did this happen and how do I prevent it from continuing?

Thanks

Attachments

• 03310002.jpg
    03310002.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 547
It looks like your sway bar is shifting from side to side.
Is the left side touching at the same time the right is?
The best way to tell if it shifted is, look at how much space is on each side.
If the bolts are not tight enough, it can shift under load.
They make keeper rings, that hold the bars in place.
2 rings that mount on the sway bar, they attach next to the mounts on the car.
Four allen screws hold the ring to the bar, and keep it from shifting.

That or your sway bar might be bent.
Or the sway bar might be upsde down. ( thats a guess)

Just my .02 Canadian cents worth.
After the exchange it's worth is .00 :D

The image above depicts the left, the right is exactly the same, right down to the scratch pattern. Both left and right linkages are simultaneously in contact with the Tein damper (at least with the wheels off and the car on stands), and that seems to be the problem. There is going to be some side-to-side bar motion and that is causing the damage; while collars would be an option, both linkages are in contact with the dampers with the car at rest

I doubt the bar is bent. It could not be installed upside down (the linkage would not line-up witht the bar.)

The only change to the front end was the Teins. I had the RM sway with my stock dampers with no issue.

The linkage does not look like it's lined up right with that bar.
I am using the comptech bars, and they are strait at linkage.
Your bar looks like it is going in an upward direction, and so is the linkage.

attachment.php

I would think the sway bars are the problem.
I think there is only one way to mount those coil overs, so I don't think that is the problem.
Do your RM bars have three holes in them?
Can you take a pic of the sway bar?

I am going to take a stab at your problem. It looks like the shock strut is thicker than OE. Can you flip the link 180 deg and last idea, call Chris @ SOS. Dan

I would remove the RM front sway bar, comparing it with the OEM sway bar and find out the difference in size.
Could it be that you have installed the sway bar out of the middle point ?

Maybe you should marking the middle (half) point of the sway bar and do the installation with the same distance at the bushings and brackets for the right and the left side.

Than you should have also the same distance at the end links and your problem should be fixed.

Please keep us informed.

Maybe you can post a bigger pictures with more suspension parts around for comparing.

James,

In this case, typically you swap the drop links from right to left, reverse their position and the drop link will not interfere. This is common practice and in the install instructions of CompTech's race bar. I am thinking that the RM sway bar is the same.

I have not installed the Teins yet, so I would check with the supplier for sure.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
James,

In this case, typically you swap the drop links from right to left, reverse their position and the drop link will not interfere. This is common practice and in the install instructions of CompTech's race bar.

HTH,
LarryB

Oooh yeah.
I forgot that I did swap my drop links from right to left.
The RE's look allot bigger at the bottom, then the RA's.

The drop link appears to be pushed back by the RM stabalizer bar. You may want to try a stock bar to see if the problem goes away. As a solution, we have an adjustable end link we use with our Moton suspension that replaces the factory front link. This provides about 10+mm of clearance.

Regards,
-- Chris

<<<<The linkage does not look like it's lined up right with that bar.
I am using the comptech bars, and they are strait at linkage.
Your bar looks like it is going in an upward direction, and so is the linkage.

Yes, my RM bar hole (only one) does angle up.

In this case, typically you swap the drop links from right to left, reverse their position and the drop link will not interfere. This is common practice and in the install instructions of CompTech's race bar. I am thinking that the RM sway bar is the same.

Larry,

You ARE the man!
Someone should tell Nick.

I will pull the links and see if this corrects the problem. Thanks.

Attachments

• 04010001.jpg
    04010001.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 171
Back