• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Terminated for being a bandwidth hog

Jim

Experienced Member
Yesterday, Comcast terminated my internet service. I was verbally warned in January about my bandwidth and they decided to shut me down without any further notice.

This has become common:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2111373,00.asp
http://consumerist.com/search/comca...ively-gets-disconnected-for-a-year-235585.php
http://comcastissue.blogspot.com/2007/04/april-4-2007.html

Anyone else have similar experiences? I do understand they want to make everyone else happy in the neighborhood. :tongue: From what I read, the ballpark figure is 100gb+/month and you are a hog. :rolleyes:

Good riddance Comcast.

PS3 demo games, Emule, newsgroup d/ls, etc.

I believe you can get counters for your desktop to keep track of your usage.

lol I use more then that, I have fiber from Bellsouth and no bitching yet. I may signup for Comcast just to see the most I can use lol :)

If you are using that much bandwidth, can't you just sign up for a higher tier? I can understand Comcast position if you are on their basic and lower end plans and using that much.

Jond - Verizon FiOS is not available in my area yet (seems like coverage is mostly east coast/west coast?)

Comcast does not offer different tier plans. They do offer commerical grade plans. The speed is exactly the same for commercial service :rolleyes: . The price is outrageous too. You might as well get a T1 line. The funny part is I asked Comcast if I could get the commercial plan and they said no since I am on the black list now. LOL. Comcrap told me I am eligible to get service back in 12 months.

I will be getting AT&T DSL that has up to 6.0 Mbps. The office is very close so I should be good to go (my neighbor gets good speed). AT&T has never shut anyone down for bandwidth usage either :tongue:

Jond - Verizon FiOS is not available in my area yet (seems like coverage is mostly east coast/west coast?)

Yeah and it's VERY VERY labor intensive for them to roll it out. We're talking large teams of guys digging 3-4' deep trenches through everyones yards, along all the roads, etc. It took them MONTHS to finish just my small neighborhood.

Shoot, they spent 2 days in my yard trying to figure out how to get the fiber routed under my driveway.

I imagine it will take them years to get it rolled out to the masses.

Hahaha...that's funny. Waiting on the completion of my condo, I had to stay at a buddies place.

I had emule downloading HD movies, MP3's and software. Comcast called him and told him he would have to quit downloading or they would throttle him. I had to shut the p2p down. :(

Comcast does not offer different tier plans. They do offer commerical grade plans. The speed is exactly the same for commercial service :rolleyes: . The price is outrageous too. You might as well get a T1 line.

A T1 is a HELL of a lot slower than DSL/Cable in most cases, at least the downlink speed. I have both Comcast Business (8down/1up) and a T1 at the office. The T1 is our backup link for the Comcast connection and I use it for our phones (VoIP) in case someone is hogging the Comcast bandwidth. Oh, and the T1 also costs about 4x as much as Comcast. I pay about $100/mo for Comcast Business 8/1 with 5 static IPs (plus tax).

Back