• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The accessory I've never seen.

Has anyone ever seen a structural "roll" bar setup for the Targa" The piece I envision would replace the Targa roof with a bar system that would preserve the structural rigidity inherent with the top in place. Likely it would be padded and would eliminate window closure option when in place. It would just latch in and stiffen the body, yet still provide the open motoring experience.

I'm kinda surprised that this thread has only seen one reply. I have thought about this issue since I bought my Targa, after much talk with NSX afficianados about the relative benefits of the coupe body. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to look at welding and metal fabrication classes at the technical college.

Has anyone ever seen a structural "roll" bar setup for the Targa" The piece I envision would replace the Targa roof with a bar system that would preserve the structural rigidity inherent with the top in place. Likely it would be padded and would eliminate window closure option when in place. It would just latch in and stiffen the body, yet still provide the open motoring experience.

I knew whatyou were talking about before you described it because I have thought of the same thing. You are talking about a bar that would tie in where the targa attachment points are from the B-pillar to the A-pillar. This would be an outstanding item that could quickly go in and out, and give all the rigidity of the top in place and would give extra safety and more headroom for a helmet.

I am surprised no one has thought of making such a thing. Perhaps this should be posted in the vendors section. This is a great idea.

Comptech had produced a limmited run of sturdy roll-over bars for the nsx that fit behind the seats partialy blocking the rear view.If you want some increased chassis rigidity for the t roofed cars consider two methods I and many others use.1) standard harness bars for 5 point shoulder harness in most cases bolts to the b pillar shoulder belt points adding stifness 2) the type r front braces.

Funny how like minds work ............ been tinkering with a design on paper for over a year now!

I have thought of an X shape two bars where you have the flexibility to pivot for easy inserts and removal at the X, and somehow lock it into position. Still working on it ..... :cool:

To add to docjohn's post, Comptech's shock tower brace also helps a lot even if you don't have a SC.

I've thought the same thing. I would wonder if simply bolting something to the holes on the edge of the winshield frame could be too much load for it and maybe crack the windshield? A real roof has its load distributed.

Would something like this work?
You would weld a bar as high up on the top corners of the firewall as you could, I would think assuming they're rigid enough, that they could bend down out of your way, and then bend back up to attach to the rear firewall(as high as possible).
The bad thing though, welding, cutting etc on a $100,000 car is not my idea of good times.

Or. They have something like this for my mustang, although my mustang is a unibody, it still would probably help with the NSX-T. Just square aluminum beams welded the length of the cabin.

The first time I drove my S2000, I was impressed with the front to rear chassis stiffness, but on the first curve, I found it was a wet noodle side to side. An X-Brace made all the difference. I have the Ritmo harness bar just for a little extra bracing on my NSX.

Dali's rear chassis stabilizer will help too. I have it on my car and the difference though may not be big, but the strength compared to what is there now is quite obvious: http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1721

But I was thinking something like this for an X roof brace. Note that once you open the doors, the only thing that is holding the car together is the bottom chassis.

Last edited:
Back