• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Age Article - Under $40K for a mint condition NSX

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/top-five-f1-cars-for-the-road-20130313-2fzbh.html

Um, the reporter needs to check sources other than what I assume to be only redbook.com.au.........."With prices for original, mint-condition models now commanding less than $40,000". I really don't think so...

Even a mint condition Auto imported from Japan would go for more than $40K. I guess it comes down to the definition of mint. Mint to me is relatively low mileage and great condition inside, outside, engine, etc.

Maybe you could pick up an auto for under $40000 but i think a manual na1 nsx with low km's would still be $50000 plus

Defintely can pick up a NSX under $40K at times, but mint? :)

Direct quote from a journalist: "Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story"

Well, I kinda also laughed when I read that McLaren and Ferrari are like the Holden & Ford battles in Aus.

Ferrari = Much higher output, not as 'hand made'
McLaren = Much more exclusive. Not built in a factory line?

I would put Ferrari more in competition with Lamborghini..............I sit McLaren between Ferrari/Lambo and Pagani/Koenigsegg.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, now that I re-read the article, he was referring to McLaren and Ferrari's battle on the track in F1.......my mistake.... :)

Actually being fair to the journalist... To put the NSX in the same category as the Mclaren F1, P1 & La Ferrari is quite the compliment. The short article was mostly factual with none of the usual unresearched and regurgitated opinions motoring writers feel compelled to give us about how slow and underpowered the NSX is compared to the 600+hp supercars of today!

What most motoring journalists miss with the NSX is it was designed to be used on nice mountain winding roads where 280hp and a nicely sorted chassis will be just as much fun and maybe more than the high hp supercars of today!

What the article will do is have a bunch of people jumping onto carsales.com and seeing where they can pick up a "mint" NSX for under $40K... Only then will the reality will be evident and carsales.com site hits go up!

yep...could definitely see people going onto carsales looking for a car just like in the picture. :)

It is nice to be an article with those other cars that are not even on the road yet.....but it is unfortunate that he links to an article back in 2007 where they do bag the car a little.

Congrats to those who are able to find a must example under $40k....hehe...

Hey Felix.....looks like you may have more competition from more prospective buyers!!!

What most motoring journalists miss with the NSX is it was designed to be used on nice mountain winding roads where 280hp and a nicely sorted chassis will be just as much fun and maybe more than the high hp supercars of today!
Well said AU_NSX .......Like the Roads in Tassy a few weeks ago!! What a great time was had by all........and the NSX certainly has "adequate power".

For some reason i read all the comments. Vast majority gave glowing views on the NSX. Many realised that $40K was under estimating!

For some reason i read all the comments. Vast majority gave glowing views on the NSX. Many realised that $40K was under estimating!

I didn't read the comments but now I have too. :)

I am encouraged to see the majority of love for the NSX.

Couldn't miss one of the earlier comments though.........someone saying they want to be contacted if a there's a mint NSX for 40K as it can't be worse than putting it in shares.......but would be embarrassed driving it........ Luckily this person can stick to their shares.....

Here is the mint $40k NSX they spoke of......they just forgot to mention how many km it might have........

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/honda-nsx-1992-14560694

"HONDA NSX 6 SPEED MANUAL 1992. Very difficult to find another 6 speed manual in black & most importantly Australian delivered new."

Yes I have found it very difficult to find a 6 speed 1992

Here is the mint $40k NSX they spoke of......they just forgot to mention how many km it might have........

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/honda-nsx-1992-14560694

"HONDA NSX 6 SPEED MANUAL 1992. Very difficult to find another 6 speed manual in black & most importantly Australian delivered new."

Yes I have found it very difficult to find a 6 speed 1992

Looks "mint" to me. And, I'm spewing that I didn't get the optioned '93 with a 6 speed, wonder if it's got upgraded factory headers too?

And I also wish I got the 'upgraded' Honda badge on the front? On a serious note, is that a bit big or just the photo that makes it look big?

Last edited:
Yep front badge is oversized. Notice it's also missing the front lip. From the pics it appears tweeters have been placed on top of the air conditioning vents in the doors! Also some buttons missing where the aerial and foglight buttons are.

The seats though look immaculate- maybe a retrim? With over 200k kms you would expect some wrinkles in the leather, those seats look brand new.

Last edited:
Just thought i would advise everyone here that the above mentioned car is a piece of sh*t. The original plates on this car are INSXI.
The owner actually traded it in a month ago for his new BMW, he owned the car for 10+ years and its NOT a 6 speed its a 5speed, its extremely rough all round.
The car dealer gave him 21k trade in and is making a killing selling it for 40k.
Te NSX drives very well for the condition its in, it has service history up to 2008 160,000 ks after that there is no history just a couple of dodgy receipts.
The body has had painted sections throughout and underneath its a real PIG oil leaks, ball joints and heaps of damage underneath, the interior is fairly worn in everyway and yes the seats have been re upholsted.
I just thought i would advise anyone interested not to waste there time if there fussy and are traveling a great distance to see it as its seriously not worth 40k i would honestly not pay a cent more then 20k.
Other then that its a NSX and if you think its cheap go for it.

Very informative first post! Thanks for your input and welcome to NSXPrime!

The car does come out in the photos quite well, there are small indications that support your assessment in the interior only. Only one button is left in the centre consol and the gear boot cover not fitting well either. However it is your personal knowledge of this car that can't be seen in the photos that makes me want to echo funkynsx's question... Do you know the previous owner? Or maybe you work for the BMW dealer? Just curious as knowing what the car traded for is quite intimate knowledge...

Sorry guys but i am not wanting turn you guys off this car or do i want to slag the BMW dealer, i'm just advising what i do know about it.
The car is obviously priced to sell for that price and its coming from a dealer as a trade in so dont expect the type of NSX that us (fussy) owners would want unless you want a project to work on.
The car has been driven all day everyday of its life, its by far a garage queen.
And yes i do know the owner that is why i know all this information about it.
Please go check the car out and see what you think for yourself and report back to this post.

Very informative first post! Thanks for your input and welcome to NSXPrime!

The car does come out in the photos quite well, there are small indications that support your assessment in the interior only. Only one button is left in the centre consol and the gear boot cover not fitting well either. However it is your personal knowledge of this car that can't be seen in the photos that makes me want to echo funkynsx's question... Do you know the previous owner? Or maybe you work for the BMW dealer? Just curious as knowing what the car traded for is quite intimate knowledge...

Sorry guys but i am not wanting turn you guys off this car or do i want to slag the BMW dealer, i'm just advising what i do know about it.
The car is obviously priced to sell for that price and its coming from a dealer as a trade in so dont expect the type of NSX that us (fussy) owners would want unless you want a project to work on.
The car has been driven all day everyday of its life, its by far a garage queen.
And yes i do know the owner that is why i know all this information about it.
Please go check the car out and see what you think for yourself and report back to this post.
not sure why you deleted your first post?
If what you said was true, thats really important information for a potential buyer.
There's nothing wrong with posting an honest opinion on a car if it's genuine.

not sure why you deleted your first post?
If what you said was true, thats really important information for a potential buyer.
There's nothing wrong with posting an honest opinion on a car if it's genuine.

Don't really want to start any trouble with dealers ect thats why i deleted it.
I guess for those that are interested and want to know info about it your more then welcome to PM me.
Funkynsx is that your NSX at Centreline getting work done to it?

Last edited:
Thats my baby.
I just had the eps rack reconditioned among other things.
The black nsx seems like its sold anyway.
Obviously not a prime member.
Still you dont see many manual nsx's for that price.

Back