• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The end of SVT division ?

I'm not a FORD fan, but the end of SVT division saddens me nonetheless.

The main culprits according to the author are the retirement of key people and the Ford GT. Hope Honda has planned their next move better than Ford...

Last edited:
That is sad, seems like Ford is just grabbing for anything that will work. No direction in the company lately. Bill Ford needs to step aside for someone with fresh ideas, who will actually see them through to the end, not jump ship on them as soon as they do not look like the next 64 1/2 Mustang in terms of sucess.

Way to go. Cancel the division that made cars people actually wanted to buy. I say bankruptcy protection by November, sooner if gas & energy spikes again this summer. Dodge is really having trouble with all the SRT models- not.

Kinda sad, but not surprised. SVT vehicles, while special, were still just beefed up versions of other dime a dozen models. This theory may work for Porsche with all the diff versions of the 911, but thats a Porsche. A focus or Mustang by any other badge, is still a Focus or a Mustang, because of the popularity of the regular models and how common you see them around, the desire to have the beefed up SVT versions eventually erodes. Why pay extra money for something you can buy cheap and fix up yourself? Just think if Honda had a 4 cylinder NSX, a 6 cylinder, and an 8 cylinder for sale all at once, the coolness factor of even a powerful v8 would eventually erode because the 4 cyl looks just like it, is cheaper, etc etc etc. The NSX wouldnt be as valuable or as exclusive, specially if the differences are a few body kits and and exhaust, the motor might be faster, but you cant see a motor when its parked or at a stoplight. Hope Fords cut backs are enough, I give them kudos just because they are Ford. :smile:

NSXrunner said:
Kinda sad, but not surprised. SVT vehicles, while special, were still just beefed up versions of other dime a dozen models. This theory may work for Porsche with all the diff versions of the 911, but thats a Porsche. A focus or Mustang by any other badge, is still a Focus or a Mustang, because of the popularity of the regular models and how common you see them around, the desire to have the beefed up SVT versions eventually erodes. Why pay extra money for something you can buy cheap and fix up yourself? Just think if Honda had a 4 cylinder NSX, a 6 cylinder, and an 8 cylinder for sale all at once, the coolness factor of even a powerful v8 would eventually erode because the 4 cyl looks just like it, is cheaper, etc etc etc. The NSX wouldnt be as valuable or as exclusive, specially if the differences are a few body kits and and exhaust, the motor might be faster, but you cant see a motor when its parked or at a stoplight. Hope Fords cut backs are enough, I give them kudos just because they are Ford. :smile:

On the beef'ed up part: Chrysler is doing the same thing very successfully. SRT vehicles do have street creds. Ford's SVT did too. Many other cos. do that (Nissan/Nismo, Mercedes/AMG, BMW/M, Honda/Mugen, Toyota/TRD) some with more creds than others.
On the 4cyl NSX example: that's a poorly choosen one. Ford didn't offer the GT with smaller engine options. And Honda does offer it's own "SVT" programs. They're called "Type-R" and affect all vehicles in Honda's line-up. And having a real Civic or Teg Type-R doesn't erode it's coolness factor because other lesser Civic and Teg's exist. It actually makes them even more cool.

A top OE executive once said "We, as auto-manufacturers do not sell automobiles. We sell dreams." By killing the SVT division, Ford shot itself in the foot big time on this one IMHO.

Meanwhile dodge is slapping an SRT badge on everything. Seems to be working for them.

NSXrunner said:
Just think if Honda had a 4 cylinder NSX, a 6 cylinder, and an 8 cylinder for sale all at once, the coolness factor of even a powerful v8 would eventually erode because the 4 cyl looks just like it, is cheaper, etc etc etc. The NSX wouldnt be as valuable or as exclusive, specially if the differences are a few body kits and and exhaust, the motor might be faster, but you cant see a motor when its parked or at a stoplight.

All the American manufactures are guilty of this. Some of the cars look pretty good but then they put in a cheesy 4 cyl. to boost sales. I personally love the new Solstice for the looks but every other part of the car is crap. I am sure Pontiac will offer the car with a 8 cylinder next years and then be shocked when the car doesn't sell. In fact there is a guy in California who is putting the V8 from the GTO into the Solstice, price 39k. Pontiac should have done this from the start.

I have owned three lightnings and was hoping for the 550 HP version to come out. Guess they lost a sale.

The SRT boys, forgot about em! those stealthy bastages! hehe I stand corrected and will agree that they are doing ok.

Back