• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The latest (mis)information on the NSX replacement

I went with my partner to check out prices on an MDX today and mentioned in passing to the salesman that I have an NSX. He then proceeds to tell me how the next generation will be out in 2005 and will cost only $55,000. After I expressed disbelief as to the price, he assured me that he has the "insider information" because he is a high volume dealer (but not in NSXs).

Amazingly, despite being confident that he knew something none of us did, I then asked him about the HSC and he said he never heard of it, never seen photos of it nor read anything about and he questioned me as to what it was. I then suggested he read Prime to get an education on what may and may not be the next generation NSX.

My father just picked up his new MDX from Westchester Acura... Fully loaded except for the body moldings 41k..... i did read thou on the MDX forum that people were getting them for 1k below list.

That's where we went. The MDX with touring package and DVD entertainment system only has a list of $41,045 including the destination charge. We got a quote of $39,237.

What package did your dad get?

RSO 34 said:
Amazingly, despite being confident that he knew something none of us did, I then asked him about the HSC and he said he never heard of it, never seen photos of it nor read anything about and he questioned me as to what it was. I then suggested he read Prime to get an education on what may and may not be the next generation NSX.

What a dumbass!

Look at the Latest RL post. I think we are going to see a 3.5 L V6 with 350HP. :(

Ferrari is going to have a 4.0L v8 with 125HP/L. I would hope Honda could do the same HP/L with the V6. That would give us 440HP. The HSC would be AMAZING with that power. Bye bye Z06 :D

Yeah, but the new Z06 will have 500+ hp.

Jim

Jimbo said:
Yeah, but the new Z06 will have 500+ hp.

Jim

Well, I am hoping the Honda comes in about 2-300 lbs less than the new Z06 which would make up for the HP diff.

The Z06 is rumored to have 500HP, but I don't think that number is confirmed. It would be a large jump from 405.

Net,

The new base model C6 has 400hp. It's not a stretch to think or believe that the new Z06 will have 500.

The Ford GT has 500 and the new Mustang Cobra will have 500 too.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be REAL happy with a new NSX that had 450hp.

:D

-Jim

Jimbo said:
Net,

The new base model C6 has 400hp. It's not a stretch to think or believe that the new Z06 will have 500.

The Ford GT has 500 and the new Mustang Cobra will have 500 too.
-Jim

True, but both of those have Superchargers.

I would really doubt the new cobra will have 500 HP. Why would anyone want a GT for 100K more if the cobra was just as fast? Did you read that somewhere? From what I have read it will be a lot more expensive and be a better all around car.

NetViper said:
I would really doubt the new cobra will have 500 HP.
I think it's wild speculation at this point, another one is that Ford's going to put a V10 in some incarnation of the Mustang. I wouldn't believe it until I actually see it in showroom floors.

$55,000 ?

I will be getting a new 2004 soon (on a 3 year lease), but this post has me sweating a bit. I would not figure it would be replaced until late next year (I guess I am wrong), and what are current NSX owners thoughts if they do come out with a $55K NSX ? I wouldn't be happy. I know that many other car companies went to the lower price (300 ZX to 350 Z, RX7 to RX8), but I have always thought of the NSX as competition for the Porsche 911 (which I currently have). If they price it at $55K it will still be more expensive than the 350 Z, S2000 (which should be there mid range car), & RX8, yet now be seen below a 911, or the entry level Ferraris. It might be associated with the Corvette (that's not a good thing.

I could see maybe the prelude being re-released with the NSX engine being priced to compete with the 350Z/G35 type market, and the HSC being the new supercar with bigger power numbers at a much higher price...but I don't see an NSX being 55,000...

I don't it is a bad idea to have two sports cars.

1) $55,000 3.5L Vtec 350 HP -- covette, boxster etc. competitor.

2) $100,000 Supercar with 4L V8 500HP all aluminum etc.etc.

I've always thought that's exactly what they're going to do. 2 different cars. In my mind, that what they'll do.

They Already Have A Boxster Competitor

They already have a car that competes with the 350Z/G35, & Boxster/Boxster S in the S2000. If you look at the performance numbers they are very close for $20K less (compared to the Boxster). If they introduce a $55K NSX I will be very disappointed. It is a slap in the face of all previous NSX owners. That is a 40% drop in price. That is unheard of, and will probably relegate the NSX to Corvette status, not Porsche or Ferrari. I got the NSX in part because of the exclusivity. At $55K I guarantee it will be as plentiful as the Corvettes or Mustang Cobra, or Porsche Boxsters. Sad.

Ok, so what would happen if they put out a $80-90k car and then had a $140-$150k Ferrari killer? I could only imagine what that car would be like....

Wasn't

A Ferrari Killer...when the NSX first came out isn't that what it was ? In 1991 it could compete with and destroy the 348 Ferrari across the board, even the 355 was given all it could handle with the 290 hp NSX. It wasn't really until the 360 that the Ferrari could actually claim a technical/performance advantage over the Acura. They have the Ferrari 420 coming out, but I would think a high 390 hp NSX would be able to compete. They need an NSX coming in in the high $80K's- low $90K's that can do the low, low 12's, high 11's that would burn Ferrari's butt again. If they came out with a $55K NSX that say has the 350 hp V6 I think it will : 1) Piss off existing NSX owners, and 2) lower the class of the NSX to Corvette level, not keep it with the Porsches, or Ferraris.

Re: Wasn't

Fanman said:
A Ferrari Killer...when the NSX first came out isn't that what it was ? In 1991 it could compete with and destroy the 348 Ferrari across the board, even the 355 was given all it could handle with the 290 hp NSX. It wasn't really until the 360 that the Ferrari could actually claim a technical/performance advantage over the Acura. They have the Ferrari 420 coming out, but I would think a high 390 hp NSX would be able to compete. They need an NSX coming in in the high $80K's- low $90K's that can do the low, low 12's, high 11's that would burn Ferrari's butt again. If they came out with a $55K NSX that say has the 350 hp V6 I think it will : 1) Piss off existing NSX owners, and 2) lower the class of the NSX to Corvette level, not keep it with the Porsches, or Ferraris.

Totally agreed!

like I said I could see a 290hp prelude out there with an NSX motor i. There's no need to stop using the motor I can't imagine they wouldn't use it in something and price it at 60-65000 pr so above the s2000 since it;s s larger coupe. Then do the HSC/NSX well in the 300's and the expensive car.

1st isn't the nsx engine a derivative of the Legend engine and isn't it already in the TL and hasn't it alread pretty much been maxed out as far as reliable horsepower goes?

So isn't it reasonable and about time that Honda used some of its latest tech in a new engine? And if the HSC remains all Al won't it still be expensive ie. => $89,000?

Who cares about Corvettes/Ferraris/Porsche when you drive an NSX unless what you care about is what other people think.

No, I got to believe that Honda will release a $60,000 car that will on the track outperform everything but the GT40, Enzo, and Carrera GT. That's what the HSC seems to be about...not hp! and it will be reliable as all Honda's are.

unltd172 said:
No, I got to believe that Honda will release a $60,000 car that will on the track outperform everything but the GT40, Enzo, and Carrera GT. That's what the HSC seems to be about...not hp! and it will be reliable as all Honda's are.

I think your dream of what the HSC is would be nice, but lets talk reality.

There is NO WAY ON EARTH the HSC will keep up with a GT40, Enzo or GT with 300HP. Not a chance. Probably not with 400 HP.. maybe not even 500 HP.

The HSC needs to beat the 360 (soon to be 430), the gallado and the 911 Turbo. To do this, it will need to be light weight, but seeing the trend out there, I doubt it will be much under 3000lbs. It is going to need at least 400HP+. It is going to need carbon fiber and aluminum to be light. And to do all that it is going to cost some $$$.

I expect $90K or more.

unltd172 said:
I think you misread my statement "beat everything BUT the gt40, enzo....

Sorry, I did miss that. Nonetheless, I think the current price level is OK. I mean, it is an exotic car. I won't be able to afford a new one, but a lot of guys here can and others can take advantage of their used ones in 3 years.

Lofty Goals

The new Ferrari will have 400+ hp (going from 394 hp 360 should see 430+ hp in the 420), the new 911 TT Porsche will have 460 hp, the Viper has 500 hp, and the Z06 is slated for 500 hp. I honestly don't see a "new" NSX being able to compete with this kind've of straight line hp.

But I do expect it to run with the new 911 (340-350 hp), the new Vette (400 hp), new Cobra (390+ hp). Honestly it has to keep the same weight (even less would be nice but don't bet on it given improving/heavier safety equipment) and must really be 350++ hp. I really wouldn't expect a $50K-$60K pricetag, or I would say this is my first & last NSX. If I were them just give it a 400+ hp engine capable of running with the new 420 Ferrari, Porsche GT3 level cars.

Back