• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

the new Woody NSX (tons of pics inside)

A few of the details:

9.2:1 pistons
Full blueprint and balance
Enough internal engine cleaning to pass a white glove test
Air to water intercooler

Old motor out:
1.1glenn_w1.jpg

1.2block_final_clean.JPG

Fresh bore and hone for new oversized pistons:
2fresh_hone.jpg

Every internal part cleaned by hand...I mean every part!
3.1cleaning3.JPG

Final measurement checks:
3.2bore_clearances.JPG

4.1assembly.JPG

And more measurments:
4.2clearances.JPG

Completed shortblock:
5complete_shortblock.JPG

6complete_shortblock2.JPG

7assembled_engine.JPG

8assembled_engine2.JPG

The new avatar:
9.1engine_pre_installation.jpg

9.2done_done.JPG

9.3cold_air.JPG

9.4cold_air_enginebay_close.JPG

8.5 psi and VERY conservative timing maps for Glenn to try out the car:
woody_8.5psi_dynographs.jpg

Good conservative tuning. This was recorded from the rear bank of cylinders - the front bank was reading .3 - .4 leaner in comparison:
woody_8.5psi_airfuel.jpg

Do you have a pic of the heat exchanger for the aftercooler fluid resovoir? I am ineterested to see the size and spec's of what you feel is needed to effectively cool the fluid for long duration runs.

Thanks.

Two Things

Devin - a GREAT job with Glenn's engine.....two things.

What is the part brand / number of the air intake filter?

Regarding the aftercooler cool water supply line, it appears from the pix that the hose "goes up" before it comes down to the A-N fitting on the aftercooler water inlet fitting. This could very well be an illusion; however, if it is not the system will "vapor lock". When I first got my BBSC, the water plumbing was similar to these pictures until I changed out the lines. WHERE IS THE AFTECOOLER RESERVOIR? You have Glenn's SS line routed over the Paxton inlet; whereas, I have mine under the Paxton inlet. We bothe use 135° Earls or Russell fitting. Remember the pictures of my setup that I mailed you?

Nice job, strong and safe numbers. 1 Question on the cold air intake, Is it 3" or 4"?

Thanks and keep up the good work
Armando

Attachments

• untitledcai (Medium).jpg
    untitledcai (Medium).jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 798
Just a quick note to say thanks to Devin and his crew at Payn Tech. My car presented a few unique challenges which were dealt with a degree of professionalism I have not before encountered. The attention to detail and willingness to go the extra mile to do it right made the project as painless as possible. Every step of the project was documented and I received regular updates and pics. Trust me, these may not seem like much but they make all the difference when your dying to get your car back! The car runs as good as it looks and I am amazed at the smoothness resulting from Devins tuning on the SSBB. I challenge anyone who wants to take her for a spin to find any difference in the performance other than a huge increase in acceleration. The cold start, warm start, idle and AFR's are perfect. I picked her up on friday and put 1000 miles on her over the weekend with out a hiccup!
In short Woody = one very satisfied customer

Sig said:
Do you have a pic of the heat exchanger for the aftercooler fluid resovoir? I am ineterested to see the size and spec's of what you feel is needed to effectively cool the fluid for long duration runs.

Glenn's heat exchanger measured 2.5 x 6 x 22 and is a true double core. We logged some full throttle runs from 2nd gear through the top of 4th and into 5th - average IATs stayed around 125 - 130F I believe with no cool downs.

Re: Two Things

AndyVecsey said:
Devin - a GREAT job with Glenn's engine.....two things.

What is the part brand / number of the air intake filter?

Not sure of the brand. It is a private label filter that we keep in stock.

AndyVecsey said:
Regarding the aftercooler cool water supply line, it appears from the pix that the hose "goes up" before it comes down to the A-N fitting on the aftercooler water inlet fitting. This could very well be an illusion; however, if it is not the system will "vapor lock". When I first got my BBSC, the water plumbing was similar to these pictures until I changed out the lines. WHERE IS THE AFTECOOLER RESERVOIR? You have Glenn's SS line routed over the Paxton inlet; whereas, I have mine under the Paxton inlet. We bothe use 135° Earls or Russell fitting. Remember the pictures of my setup that I mailed you?

The hose does travel upwards, but towards the end of last year so did my personal setup with no problems whatsoever. Glenn has a 1 gallon polyethylene plastic reservoir up front in the engine bay, again very similar to my old setup. Never had a problem on any car with a constant purge system like this.

Last edited:
PaynNSX said:
Glenn's heat exchanger measured 2.5 x 6 x 22 and is a true double core. We logged some full throttle runs from 2nd gear through the top of 4th and into 5th - average IATs stayed around 125 - 130F I believe with no cool downs.

Are you measuring the IAT's with the OEM sensor beyond the throttle body or did you bung a new sensor before the throttle body to measure the actual temp. of the charged air before it gets inside?

Sig said:
Are you measuring the IAT's with the OEM sensor beyond the throttle body or did you bung a new sensor before the throttle body to measure the actual temp. of the charged air before it gets inside?

OEM sensor mounted in the intake manifold. Due to heat soak above the engine assembly, I would suspect actual charge temps to be significantly lower if recorded pre-throttle body - this has been the trend with cars that we've added additional temp sensors to the charge piping (isolated from the intake manifold and engine).

Here is a pic of the core:

heat_exchanger.JPG

heat_exchanger_low.JPG

Congrats, Woody! Looks like one hell of a quality job by Devin. He should be commended for the attention to detail, layout, keeping you informed ... on and on.

Back