• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The NSX/Taiwan Connection

born in taiwan, grew up in OC, now in norco lol

10897DSC00057.JPG

born in taiwan, grew up in OC, now in norco lol

10897DSC00057.JPG

Correction!!!

Made in Taiwan, try to fit in OC, now exiled to Norco :biggrin: :biggrin:

From Hong Kong here. Been to Taiwan on a number of business trips, but can't deal with the food. Best food I had there was an unlikely combination of teppan/french - go figure...

From Hong Kong here. Been to Taiwan on a number of business trips, but can't deal with the food. Best food I had there was an unlikely combination of teppan/french - go figure...

You must be at the wrong places....

:biggrin:

What did you eat? If you are trying to eat something that is not Chinese or Taiwanese, then yeah, it's hard to find something good and authentic.

As for Chinese and Taiwanese food, you won't get much better than you can get in Taiwan.

Taiwanese/American here. Yes, Boba Milk Tea was invented in Taiwan NOT Mainland China.

Taiwanese cuisine is combination of cuisine from many parts of mainland China. You basicly have all in one place, not necessarily best of best, but definitely variety. On top of that many original items from innovation + influence of Japanese during colonial days.

Grandmom was Japanese from colonial days. Althrough book brain washed us differently. Japanese have done a lot for Taiwan when Taiwan was occupied by Japan from 1895 - 1945.

I visit Taiwan once a year, I still stay well connected with Taiwan, I read Taiwanese newpaper daily, I know what goes on in Taiwan good or bad. My .2cent probably worth a lot more than ABC or ABT who don't know much about Taiwan while think they know it all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
China have done a great job reforming after 1990 and it shows. Quite jaw dropping amazing. From piss poor with their people suffering miserably for years form communist economic policy to mega wealth almost overnight. Their government f**ked them up and they still love them. Power of brain washing.

Taiwan's success have absolutely nothing to do with China. Chinese government never did single positive thing or spent a dime for the good of Taiwanese people.

Very few things are made in Taiwan now days. Due to the high cost of labor. Taiwan actually import a lot of labors from other countries in SouthEast Aisa. Majority of factory owners in Taiwan have moved the factory to China to maximizing profit.

Nationalist government that took possession of Taiwan was itself defeated in the Chinese civil war that lasted from 1946 to 1949. This war saw the rise of the Chinese Communist Party to power and the establishment of the PRC in 1949.

Taiwan is technically an independant country at least to anyone who was borned in Taiwan. People have already spoke their well, but war is what prevent that from happening.

Majority of Chinese in USA immigriated to USA after 1950 and prior to 1986 Tiananmen massacre are from Taiwan in fear of war. The door in mainland was completely shut prior to massacre in 1986.

Those who escape Taiwan prior to 1985 missed out on the economic boom. I know many early generation immigrants are consider super landlords in Taiwan at the time. Sold off the lands for penny on the dollar came to the State. Many have never visit Taiwan again after the economic boom.

China have done a great job reforming, China is unstoppable now. It is natural for many ABC, ABT to consider themselves as from mainland and be proud of it. Kissing up mentality.

Chinese language in China is simplified. Taiwan is traditional.

Today the Chinese book still brain wash their people, what they teach in 1st to 6 grade is laughable. Exactly what government want their people to know and think. Most of my Chinese friends from mainland tell me many Chinese still hate Japanese for the WWII. Those are business from previous generations. Even back then there were plenty of peaceful Japanese civilians who were anti war at the time. An entire race is not respondsible for the actions of few.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a conflict two month ago, someone came up to me and being a really smart ass while I am just minding my own business. It was very disrespectful and inconsiderate. At the time if there were no law, I really would beat this guy so hard that he never wish he was born or just make him bleed internally without signs of physical damage, trust me I can and probably walk away without landing in jail.

I was born and raised in Taiwan, I completed 7th grade prior of heading US by myself as a international student. A lot of ABCs hate international students simply because they think all international students are wealthy. I can tell them that not all international students are mega wealthy.

Living under someone's roof was very tough, my first year was difficult until home stay family got themself behind bars for serious crime. I was working every single day including weekends for $5 a day cleaning a low end Motel. You name it, drug addict, drunk, condoms on pillows, sperm, pee, crap on the floor, broken mirror, etc. The worst part of America, I seen it all. Next 4 years wasn't too bad with very kind new homestay family in a farm. It was weird. I had to help out and pick eggs every single day as well while their kids didn't had to help just sit and watch TV while their parents is busting their ass off picking eggs with a stranger who had no business of helping out. Doesn't make sense to me logically considering I wasn't living there for free. This is where learned people will take advantage of you just because they can. Some do it because they simply have to, due to their economic condition. In this case I did not mind too much.

The session usually last 3~4hours, no pay of course. They were kind though and took good care of me. I did that for a little more than a year. I then started to train in martial arts after school and travel and compete on most weekends in tournaments (Jimmy Pham, Gino probably still remember me back in the tournament days during 90s). I would train several sessions after school and stay at dojo at least until after 9pm so that I can avoid the egg session.

My family is from Taiwan evn though I was born here.

Interesting story Jason.......Waaaaaaayyyy back in the day, when I was a poor college student and I didn't like living at home anymore, I rented rooms in different housing situations all over North Orange County. It was all bad, so I kept looking for a nice place to live, even though I hardly had any money. I finally found a nice place to live....a thirtysomething couple from Taiwan had this massive, new house on a hill in Diamond Bar. They didn't have any kids yet, so I guess they felt that renting out some of their rooms couldn't hurt. It was me, some nursing student from Thailand renting another room (Damn it smelled good when she cooked !), and the couple. My first night, I made some Spagetti I think (one of the few things I could cook). I started looking for the silverware -I was granted full kitchen privleges-but I couldn't find any silverware. I asked the guy and he told me that there wasn't any...only chopsticks ! Needless to say, I got pretty good w/ chopsticks out of necesity. I asked the wife if she could teach me how to cook, because, frankly, I couldn't. She agreed, and I learned how to prepare all kinds of stir fry things. I lived there for about a year and a half. Towards the end of my stay, the couple had their first child=a girl. It was at this time that grandma from Taiwan came over to care for the baby because the couple worked full time in the tech. industries in Irvine. Grandma was interesting. Early every morning she would be outside doing these Tai-Chi looking exercises , then she would come in to start preparing the evening's dinner, washing vegetables and stuff...the couple would arrive home around six and every night there seemed to be a massive banquet going on downstairs whenever they sat down to eat. They would be almost yelling in Mandarin, burping, and just letting out some steam I guess after their long days at work. I didn't take part in these dinners, it was their thing....but I was always treated very well by them ( I only had learned a few Mandarin phrases, so I really
couldn't communicate w/ grandma.). I found an even better living situation and moved out finally, but I now found out that I couldn't
live w/ out a ricemaker, and those electric things that keep boiling water ready for tea and ramen. This was my introduction to Taiwanese culture.

The massacre was in 1989 not 1986. I didn't edit my original post due to that I want to keep it untouched.

I found an even better living situation and moved out finally, but I now found out that I couldn't live w/ out a ricemaker, and those electric things that keep boiling water ready for tea and ramen. This was my introduction to Taiwanese culture.
That is very cool. You should visit Taiwan or China if you get a chance in the future. Chinese hospitality have no sides.

I was 13 years old at the time. At that age, although I had my own will, destiny was in the hand of someone else. At that age it is call "小"留学生 not 留学生. Night and day difference in terms of what the two have to endure. 10times tougher.

Here is a page on CIA about Taiwan you might be intereted.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/print/tw.html

Sometimes people should just have more common sense before asking someone stupid questions.

I like China, but the fact is that there are two China. People's Republic Of China (Mainland) and Republic Of China (Taiwan). Communist had backing of next door neighbor Soviet Union and demographicly there is no chance for the Nationalist at the time. Defeat was inevitable. Communist established government in China. Nationalist retreat and established government in Taiwan.

Chinese were brought up to loved their Mao reading his little red book, it is quite amazing, especially the older generation Chinese, even though Mao fxx up their lives and imposed strict rules and took control everyone's live. Really no different than KIM Jong Il of North Korea. His successors however, did admirable job. Economic reform lead by Deng Xiaoping in 1978 then now HU Jintao is doing an amazing job. The prospect of China is great, sky is the limit.

People always ask what is your nationaliy? What should I answer, American, Taiwanese or Chinese?

American, sure I am a US citizen, no different than any other American. This country is just a little over 200 years old, made up of people from all over the world.

Chinese, sure my blood, nothing more, the history is rich and so what.

Taiwanese, sure that is the country I came from, I still have the voting right there. I have a Taiwanese passport as well, which I can use that to travel to most of part of world except communist countries without a visa just like my US passport. Can't do that with Chinese passport yet. You hit a wall everywhere you go unless you got some cash or connections.

The culture between China and Taiwan are quite different. I travel, I know. The impression is you get is different as well. You tell anyone who have a sense of what is going on in the world that you are from China you will get much different impression than if you tell people you are from Taiwan. At least up to this point. The table is turning fast, soon people will all have to kiss up to China.

I was 13 years old at the time. At that age, although I had my own will, destiny was in the hand of someone else. At that age it is call "小"留学生 not 留学生. Night and day difference in terms of what the two have to endure. 10times tougher.

Jason, I agree with everything you said, and seems you have good perspective on what's going on over seas. I grew up a parachute kid as some call it, similar to your experience, probably just need to change the name, location..etc. :) Looking back, it's been interesting. Many others may may not be as fortunate with similar stories.

I try not get involve with the politics back in Taiwan, it's just disppointing and asinine. I understand the motivation of the political parties, but more and more it seems they're out for vengenece than anything else. I'll stop here before this thread gets ugly. I just feel the general public's heart and mind have changed quite a bit in Taiwan, and it's not for the better.

I took my car up to Bellevue/Seattle last August and I was the only Chinese guy from Taiwan. Dan on the other hand, is my Vietnamese buddy:tongue: Close enough:biggrin:

Vance, Polar is half Taiwanese, Jackson(Freelance201) is also Taiwanese...
Rocnsx and his buddy is also Taiwanese too...

There's more Taiwanese nsx owners than HK or mainland Chinese owners in Seattle area!

I just feel the general public's heart and mind have changed quite a bit in Taiwan, and it's not for the better.
Sadly, that is true and I can understand why. There are many terrible sides about Taiwan as well. It is like North Taiwan and South Taiwan. Then ugly sounding Taiwanese dialect language that sound like crap, should had stick to Japanese language rather than that ugly dialect or just 100% maindrain. Complete waste of brain space. Only 1 other language from South East Asia sound worst.

China is going up hill and back at world stage in unstoppable pace, matter of time before it is #1 in just about everything. Internet really help educated a lot of Chinese about what is going on in the world and history. New the generation of Chinese it totally different than the old one. Very willing to adapt new things.

Taiwan simply have zero chance, no matter how much punch it packs, it is already quite a miracle for it to be "Economic Tiger" with South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, and dominiated in Asian economy for years.

Even in Taiwan people will hop or already hopped onto the greener side. That is understandable when new China is like this with Hu Jintao in charge, we have that a-hole Chen dude in Taiwan, they got bunch cities like this:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jDGpNJB2Kb8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jDGpNJB2Kb8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XW-do4dEx7A"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XW-do4dEx7A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Taiwan is technically an independant country at least to anyone who was borned in Taiwan. People have already spoke their well, but war is what prevent that from happening.

Indeed, I remember when I took this political science course in university regarding nuclear weapons, the professor referred to the China/Taiwan situation many times, almost every lecture, and that he truely believes Taiwan is independant. And then he goes on talking about the Taiwanese nuclear programs and the US/Taiwan engagements... peace.. etc etc...

I happen to like a lot of Taiwanese songs. There is nothing wrong with Mandarin, Taiwan, English, Spanish etc.

Then ugly sounding Taiwanese dialect language that sound like crap, should had stick to Japanese language rather than that ugly dialect or just 100% maindrain. Complete waste of brain space. Only 1 other language from South East Asia sound worst.

:eek: Wow! Such an gratuitous remark....sure hope THAT wasn't a selfish prattle against ignorance? I pride myself in echoing the Taiwanese dialect. Will continue to do so for my children and generations to come. With both my parents being a wise mixture of Southern/Northern Taiwanese, my childhood memories (scolding) consisted of Chinese, broken-English, and Taiwanese - being the primary. Needless to say, most "true" Taiwanese people feel an intrinsic bond when speaking in our Taiwanese dialect. And I achieve a sense of home/comfort when Taiwanese is spoken around me. I can't comprehend your slander for such a language, or any other dialect for that fact. Would defunct-ghetto-urban Mandarin be just as susceptible?

As for the cross-straight issues, these are parlous times; all of us (Taiwanese Green-faced Ah-Bianians) eschew communism, and "do-good."

Like all Taiwanese food, Taiwanese Mei-Mei, our native tongue is the Taiwanese dialect; it's the language of Taiwan. ;)

Last edited:
:eek: Wow! Such an gratuitous remark
Don't take it too serious. I understand the passion and belief.

It is my true honest opinion for the pleasantness to the ears. I actually speak perfect Taiwanese dialect, yet I think it is a horrible sounding language. I am a non-speaker to many languages, yet, I find many languages very pleasnt to my ears.

I went to a school in Tokyo with students from 67 different nations, 50% of the students are Europeans. We are all very close because we were all International students trying to learn another language in another country. We often chat about pleasantness of languages we speak. Most find Mandarin sounds pleasant, yet 100% of them agree Taiwanese dialect sound horribe. Ranked as worst of worst. You can test it out and do a survey to both speaker and non-speakers, you will see. A good portion of speakers will say it sounds bad as well. It will be really one sided to the non-speakers.

Will continue to do so for my children and generations to come
I will not allow my kids to learn this language, I totally suggest you not do so for their sake, don't ruin their life unless they are learning Mandarin as primary. If they are going to grow up in US, chances are you have only 1 home language choice, pick wisely. It will effect their future.

You probably know as well as I know, a lot of ABC parents taught the kids Taiwanese dialect instead of Mandarin. I have ABC friends that grow up only knowing how to speak English and Taiwanese dialect. They all have one thing in common, complaint about their parents for teaching them a language that have little to zero practicle use vs Mandrain that have lots of practicle benefits.

You see the kids suffer later on because of this decision. A practical language that yield large potential financial benefit+unlimited social benefit in exchange of a language with little to no practicle use doesn't make any sense. There are a lot of other far more practical languages to learn before that. A parent have to think the long term and ultimate good for their kids no matter the type of belief they have. As far as Taiwanese culture goes, I like everything except the dialect.

As for the cross-straight issues, these are parlous times; all of us (Taiwanese Green-faced Ah-Bianians) eschew communism, and "do-good."
As for Green vs Blue, that is a different topic. Ah-Bianians?, he actually got fans? I don't understand. He made people who support green 心寒. Just look at amount of crimes/corruption he had committed, he is a powerless dictator. Karma will catch him. Ultimate goal and selfish to my own belief wise I prefer green, but Blue is the only choice with justice and greater good for all.

Last edited:
nsxsupra,

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. I know this is an open forum. You have the right to post your belief. And I have the right to present my view.

No language is a bad sounding language. Languages are just what they are, to communicate.

Do you have kids? How do you know what is best for them? Or you want them to have what is best for you? Kids are amazing. You don't know how they will turn out.

If everything in your life is about practicality then no one should drive NSX, learn calculus, understanding art and music etc.

And yes, politics in Taiwan will be a long debate and I am not going there. All I want to say is green is as bad as blue. I told all my friends and relatives in Taiwan to be neutral. If you are loyal to one party then there is no incentive for that party to look out for people's best interest.

This is my view.

I will not allow my kids to learn this language, I totally suggest you not do so for their sake, don't ruin their life unless they are learning Mandarin as primary. If they are going to grow up in US, chances are you have only 1 home language choice, pick wisely. It will effect their future.

You probably know as well as I know, a lot of ABC parents taught the kids Taiwanese dialect instead of Mandarin. I have ABC friends that grow up only knowing how to speak English and Taiwanese dialect. They all have one thing in common, complaint about their parents for teaching them a language that have little to zero practicle use vs Mandrain that have lots of practicle benefits.

You see the kids suffer later on because of this decision. A practical language that yield large potential financial benefit+unlimited social benefit in exchange of a language with little to no practicle use doesn't make any sense. There are a lot of other far more practical languages to learn before that. A parent have to think the long term and ultimate good for their kids no matter the type of belief they have. As far as Taiwanese culture goes, I like everything except the dialect.

As for Green vs Blue, that is a different topic. Ah-Bianians?, he actually got fans? I don't understand. He made people who support green 心寒. Just look at amount of crimes/corruption he had committed, he is a powerless dictator. Karma will catch him. Ultimate goal and selfish to my own belief wise I prefer green, but Blue is the only choice with justice and greater good for all.

While a lot of what you have posted in this thread is skewed towards opinion rather than objective facts, I have to agree with you on the language thing.

While I don't think many lives have been ruined by learning Taiwanese, I wholehartedly agree that if a child of Taiwanese descent is to grow up outside Taiwan, there is only room to learn one language well. That language should be Mandarin. My parents are local Taiwanese (their families have been in Taiwan for many generations, as opposed to having migrated there in 1949). They were among the earliest groups of normal (non-connected) people to come out of Taiwan soon after the 80+ year ban on regular Chinese immigration to the U.S. was lifted in 1965. Hence, I grew up here in the U.S.

At that time, they made the executive decision that I and my siblings would learn Mandarin, as they felt that would be far more useful later in life, no matter if that took us to Taiwan, Mainland, HK, Singapore, or even Chinese enclaves all over the world. Only teaching us a single language besides English gave us the chance to learn it well. Had they tried to teach us both Mandarin and Taiwanese, we would have learned neither language well. Better to learn one well, than 2 not so good.

This has proven invaluable to me, as I lived in Taiwan from 2002-2004. While a lot of people there speak Taiwanese in their private lives, it's almost unheard of to see Taiwanese used in a corporate setting. If you could only speak Taiwanese, you would be at a significant disadvantage professionally, and in many social settings as well. Since Mandarin education in Taiwan has been compulsory since 1949, the only non-Mandarin speaking speakers of Taiwanese are the very elderly. There are also a small portion of the population who migrated from China in 1949, and a small but sizeable population of Hakka people. Neither of these groups can speak Taiwanese at all, but they can all speak Mandarin.

I eventually picked up Taiwanese over the years by listening to my parents and relatives speak it. While I'm not fluent in Taiwanese as I am Mandarin, I can get by.

As for green vs. blue, that's a huge debate. There are pros and cons to both. Morally and ethically, because of the KMT's ruthless and shady past, the good conscience choice is green. From a practical standpoint for the betterment of the economy, the choice is blue. Green is too idealistic to allow concessions on some of the things that would greatly improve the economic situation of the largest number of people. But, many people who lived during the martial law years under the KMT lived through and too vividly remember many injustices and shady activities of the KMT, and can't in good conscience support blue today. I was very disappointed when all the corruption scandals involving Chen broke the news last year. One of the high points of his career was his tenure as Taipei mayor, where he cleaned up many aspects of the city, and did away with a lot of the corruption. I was sad to see him go down the path of politics as usual. It's unfortunate, that he is probably dragging the greens down with him (guilty by association). In Chen's defense, however, as far as I know (I haven't followed the story too closely since late last year), no hard evidence has been presented to prove the allegations. I'd hardly say Chen's a dictator though. He was freely elected for both of his terms. The old KMT rulers from 1949-1996 (and some opinions would say 2000) were the true dictators who ruled with an iron fist, never having been elected to their posts, and not to mention the father/son "dynasty".

In any case, let's not forget that the 2004 election was split 50/50, almost exactly down the middle. That shows that neither party really has popular support. If 50% of the people oppose both the KMT and DPP, it is clear that neither party enjoys popular support, and neither party is the answer to everything as many make it seem.

Last edited:
nsxsupra,
Sorry but I have to disagree with you. I know this is an open forum. You have the right to post your belief. And I have the right to present my view.
No need to sorry at all. It is perfectly ok to post opinion, I post my as well.

The different opinions allow us too see from different perspective.

If you are loyal to one party then there is no incentive for that party to look out for people's best interest.
This is very true indeed. My point of view as well.

If everything in your life is about practicality then no one should drive NSX.
You got me wrong, did not get my point. I will not drive a ugly car either. NSX is a pleasure car, you can own multiple cars, which I do.

Not only The dialect have little to no practical use, most importantly, It doesn't sound very good to me. If someone like the sound, perfectly ok.

Your example doesn't make any sense at all. A language is far greater level than a car comparison. Where can you go with Taiwanese dialect. Where can you go with Mandarin? Even in America, Mandarin is very useful. Taiwanese dialect works at home and local markets in Taiwan. Space and earth difference. I have not even listed the potential benefits from pleasures.

At that time, they made the executive decision that I and my siblings would learn Mandarin, as they felt that would be far more useful later in life, no matter if that took us to Taiwan, Mainland, HK, Singapore, or even Chinese enclaves all over the world. Only teaching us a single language besides English gave us the chance to learn it well. Had they tried to teach us both Mandarin and Taiwanese, we would have learned neither language well. Better to learn one well, than 2 not so good.

This has proven invaluable to me, as I lived in Taiwan from 2002-2004. While a lot of people there speak Taiwanese in their private lives, it's almost unheard of to see Taiwanese used in a corporate setting. If you could only speak Taiwanese, you would be at a significant disadvantage professionally, and in many social settings as well.
Thank you. At least you can see my point. Great parents you got, they really made a great choice.

Do you have kids? How do you know what is best for them? Or you want them to have what is best for you? Kids are amazing. You don't know how they will turn out.
Not yet, but I treat my cats as my own kids. You can read about her here. Imagine if she were a human.

What is the point? Your question doesn't seem to make logical sense. The question is actually kinda disrespectful, but it is not a big deal, word always sound worst than it actually is.

Does having kids automaticly make or guarantee a great parent? You can have kids and be a terrible parent. There are plenty out there. Best for you is not necessarily best for them. Great parents didn't have kids at one stage in their life.

I have been though a lot in my life. I have parents. I live under someone's roof with several different families (parents/kids) and saw what effect a parent's choice will have in the kid's life. Remember I was a "小"留学生 without parents by my side, that was tough. Had to be really strong mentally.

I been to and lived in several countries, experienced several different cultures. The day I am ready, I will want best for them, the last thing I want would be best for me. That is parenting 101

Last edited:
Nationalism aside, I also agree that in terms of "worldly usefullness", Mandarin is used more across Asia than Taiwanese. But I will say that Taiwanese for many people is nostalgic and brings a certain warmth/connection to the native speakers, and there is nothing wrong that that. Just keep in mind there is a diffference between practicality and nostalgia, so just use your judgement in different situations. If you had to pick one for your children who grow up in a foreign country, would you pick the one that would give them a leg up in their future career, or one that give them warm-and-fuzzies?

My dad and his side of the family is "locally Taiwanese", while my mom and her side of the family is "out-of-province" Chinese. Growing up, it was amazing to see the discrimination and segregation between the two. That said, as of late, my green-leaning side of the family have come to the grim realization that A-bien has screwed things up, and have done many detrimental things to the country. On the flip side, the whole family still understands KMT have their downsides as well.

At the end of the day, my conclusion is that the political structure in Taiwan is setup such that whoever comes to power will be corrupted by that power, and due to the nature of the people, the economy, the press, and ofcourse the government, that it will be very difficult for politicians to do good for the people, no matter which side comes into power. That is the sad part for me.

All detailed discussion aside.....A lot of the reason for why the political system is so screwed up in Taiwan now can probably be attributed largely to 2 factors.

1. Taiwan has transitioned from barely better than a 3rd world country to a fully modern industrialized economic power in 2 generations.

2. The political system transitioned from a single party military dictatorship to a true democracy in roughly 10 years.

There are still a lot of remnants of the 3rd world mentality of scarcity defining how many people do things.

There is also the learning curve of the how the new democracy and it's populace figures out the best way to do things.

I'm optimistic that given time, the situtation will improve (no matter who is in power)

As an US citizen, I wish US will butt off Taiwan's interior politics.

If people from Taiwan want to have a vote to decide if they want to use "Taiwan" to join UN, is none of US' business to disagree. Whether UN is a valid organization is another subject.

People voting on matters is what democracy is all about. US is trying to suppress this? kiss up to China? Come on...give me a break.

And also US is selling old and almost useless military equipment to Taiwan at a premium. You call that protecting Taiwan? What a joke. Sadly Taiwan is stupid enough to want to/have to buy them.

I agree the US foreign policy is f'd up. US is in the business of maintaining instability in the region, creating an environment to service its own good, ie selling weapons. How many times in the past 50 years have we heard of US training and selling weapons to opposition parties/rebels to overthrow/counter-balance the existing power structure? Isn't it ironic that Bin Laden directly/indirectly received training/weapons from US or US funded insurgencies?

The Taiwanese buy weapons from the US so it can claim some relationship with the US, hoping it will get some support when sh!t hits the fan. Not surprisingly, US continues to "force" the uncertainty by siding with both China and Taiwan on different issues. As long as there is no resolution to the whole Taiwan Independence issue, the US can continue to sell weapons to Taiwan.

Back