• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2013 F1 Thread...

Just 10 days to go can't wait! :biggrin: Love the first race as everyone is clueless as to what the pecking order is.

What time does the race start for you guys, around 10pm?

Im offshore in Brazil and it's broadcast here. I have control over the TV system and i make SURE i switch one channel to the FI races. But they are in portuguese??

Well I must say F1 on NBC looks pretty good!

The FIA feed world feed is obviously the same as before so they cant really screw that up. With Hobbs, Matchett and Buxton back it feels about the same and Diffy is a good knowledgable announcer. Anyway I'm very relieved to see NBC isn't phoning it in and is going to do it right and cover practice, qualy and the race.

Having listened to F1 broadcasts with the world feed and also from the SpeedChannel feed,I found the world feed to be light years ahead of Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett.
Varsha often made things up, Hobbs told old stories and Matchet while technically knowlegeable seemed dated.

Listening to David Coulthard talk about technical and driving issues is listening to someone who really knows what he's talking about.

Just back from the track. Vettel on top and looked great (damn, i'm a Webber man). Have to say Ferrari did not look settled. Looks like they were struggling to find the lines. Lots of near offs and plenty of laps wasted due to running wide, way more than any other team. Mind you that's just after practice one. Had to cut it short due to the damn leg...
Webber just looked like he just didn't have the pace. Early days though.

McLaren were certainly off the pace. 9th and 11th, Button and Perez respectively after P2 I think. :(

McLaren not happy with the first day. Lots of changes planned, they turned up with a lot of crates at 11, they are not allowed in before then. Marked "overnight express" though can't imagine how they would get anything outside of Australia in that time?

They have a longer "tools down" period this year i think. Ban from 1:30am i think. Wish i could get hands on some discarded or broken parts. Was looking at a website that makes art from eack seasons old pieces, but very expensive. A little carbon tube as a vase for a few grand!

Taken from http://www.f1technical.net/news/18221

Martin Whitmarsh, Team principal, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes: "Well, today has been a very challenging day.

"Our car appears to be lacking in grip and consistency, and is suffering from significant understeer and poor ride.

"Try as we might, we didn't move forward in performance terms during the course of the day, either.

I commend the two McLaren drivers who worked so hard to get the car up the grid as best they can.

Yes commercial television sucks - BIG TIME.

Well another race, another litany of problems for Webber!

Pit to car telemetry wasn't working, couldn't make final clutch adjustment for the start, KERS not working so didn't get the extra kick up to the first corner, and then they botched the first pit stop - great way to start the season boys! Only consolation was they didn't have the long stint pace to win.............

They had better sort out their continual KERS problems, can you imagine being without KERS next year? Loosing 180bhp over 30 seconds of a lap - that aint gonna work fellas!

So again interesting start of season,bad to watch Mclaren car non competitive and nice to see Ferrari in good shape.
Few surprises Red Bull not fastest car on grid(finally) and Mercedes not fast as it's seems on testing.Good drive for Sutil and Force India.
Congrats to Kimmi.

Checo's car seemed bouncy compare to other cars at certain section of the track from the footage starting from P1. I am surprised McLaren did not dial it out for the race. I wished he could get at least one point. The Pirellis seems to have a different make up than last year esp how the super soft changes from corner to corner and Kimi managed his tires well. Glad to see him & Lotus came 1st.

I really don't understand Mclaren. They ended last year with a winning car so why not continue developing it, instead of starting from scratch with a completely new car!? The reg's have stayed pretty flaccid so i don't see why they feel the need to take huge gambles every year!

As for qualifying why did they not bring Perez in immediately after the whole world saw they were not the tyres to be on? It amazes me that with Mclaren's wealth of resources and expertise that these cockups continue to plaque them year on year. So frustrating! Lewis certainly looks to have made the right move at this moment in time.

Well done Kimi and Lotus, awesome race!

Last edited:
Happy to see the team perform solidly. Im still waiting for the torrent to watch the race. I seem to remember the Aus GP used to be earlier, this 11pm on the west coast is way past my bedtime.

Edit. Downloading the torrent now.

Last edited:
You go Kimi! (And Louis show promise.)

Back