• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The PERFECT NSX Dash setup, who's got it?

Yes it is a standard navpod with the bracket provided by SOS. The dual component Pioneer screen is only about 1" deep so it fits nicely in the pod. And the head unit fits perfectly in place of the center rear speaker. The rear speaker grill also serves to provide ventilation to the head unit which has a small cooling fan on it. And yes the Pioneer NEX2500 has rear camera input (which I love now that my NSX has the same technology as all of my other cars!). It also has wired Apple Carplay (the USB connection was installed in the console). I particularly love the wired Pioneer remote, and the subwoofer volume control next to it. With that remote control at my fingertips, I rarely have to use the touchscreen! And of course the Pioneer has Bluetooth so I get full streaming functionality along with full utilization of all stock components. With this setup I can even still play my '80's cassette's!!

One more thing that makes this setup work so well: The Pioneer unit has preamp outputs. These are necessary if you want to connect the new Pioneer to your existing Bose speakers (since these speakers have their own amps). While my existing Bose speakers are definitely the "weak link" to my system, they still work and sound decent. I decided I will wait for something to fail inside my doors, either the Bose speaker amps or the window regulator (both well known problem areas), before I tear into the door panels and at that time with the door panels off I will install new door speakers. For now my 600W amp is only being used for the new 10" subwoofer, but we ran the wires through the engine firewall for the future door speakers.

Thanks for that info as i am seeking options right now. Do you have pics of the unit and the pod before you installed in on the car? Like the back of it? I want to see how you managed to let it sit so flush and tight

View attachment 162510

Here is my perfect dash setup. The new Pioneer NEX2500 component system. Screen installed in the Honda pod and head unit installed between the seats where the center speaker was. Note the Pioneer round remote mounted where the coin tray was. This system allowed me to connect the original Acura stereo into the Aux Input of the new Pioneer unit, which allows me to continue to use not only the original stereo but more importantly the original trunk-mounted Acura 6 disk CD changer!! 600 W amp in the trunk and 10" subwoofer under the passenger side floormat, all from Science of Speed. Happy to send more photos to anyone interested.

Looking good and local NorCal member too!

If you ever want to replace the stick on CF dash panel with an actual CF version (with matching door trims) and NAV POD too, let us know! We are not far from you in Fremont!

www.euroboutique.us

408-905-9034

Is anyone out there with a first gen Nsx running an aftermarket single Cd/head unit after their Oem unit and changer quit? I'd investigated the rebuild several years back but wanted to keep cd player capabilities which the rebuild did not offer. Any input appreciated.

> Is anyone out there with a first gen Nsx running an aftermarket single Cd/head unit after their Oem unit and changer quit?
(I'm not sure if your "and" is inclusive...both your head unit and CD are not working)

If you OEM head unit is still happy then you should abandon your CD player. Keep the actual unit in place for nostalgia

Mechanical players are not cost effective at this point. Cheaper and easier to deal with a pure digital device

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-plays-store-bought-CDs-but-not-my-burned-CDs

If your head unit is dead, then I would NOT cut up your console...they are going to be worth a small fortune uncut, rather get an aftermarket one. There is a solution for keeping the existing console uncut, using a backing plate and a small receiver amp. Doesn't look pro, but it will do the job nicely.

I wouldn't gut your OEM head unit either. A new face can be purchased for $200 and build something around that.

Is anyone out there with a first gen Nsx running an aftermarket single Cd/head unit after their Oem unit and changer quit? I'd investigated the rebuild several years back but wanted to keep cd player capabilities which the rebuild did not offer. Any input appreciated.

Yes we have done some OEM radio to Single DIN setups primarily for guys who want Audiophile quality sound. Check out the latest Sony high output deck called:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/rsx-gs9

If you have an OEM dash panel and need it modified for a single DIN, give us a call, we have done quite a few!

thanks

Can you not refactor the face of the RSX-GS9 to fit within the existing NSX console? A nice laser cut bezel that integrates with the console?

Also, with a lot of our media a short digital to analog conversion (DDA? ADA?), I presume Sony is selling a faster DA conversion?

I suspect we are truly down to the point where a US$2 BT/MP3/Aux 12v tuner head unit is a reasonable option. Just get a backing plate and use some xylene to wipe off the unnecessary silkscreened writing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvu2VrH7niI

Nowadays a cheap USB cable is effectively the same as a gold plated USB cable. Whereas an analog patch cable there can be a difference in throughput.

I used to multi-track record, cut tape and even make carts for a radio station in the '80s, so I can appreciate high-quality analog audio equipment. I'm not sure such sound effectively exists with everybody using the similar chips...and the sound is being reproduced in a less than optimal environment of the NSX cab.

At some point, probably sooner than later, the NSX console is going to be NLA and people will rue the day they were cut up. I spent a significant extra amount of money for my last Mustang fastback as it has an uncut interior; at it is super common to see all kinds of hacks to install speakers and head units. No, I don't do anything to my nice cars that cannot be undone. If I had a bit more skill and a little better tools, I am certain that the NSX stereo can be retrofitted with new guts using 100% of the old interface.

There has to be a reasonable alternative than to cut up the console cover.

Thx for the replies folks. Yea, i've got a totally stock 29k mile 91 i've owned for many years, and i'm not going to take a chance with the console. I had checked into having the existing head unit basically gutted and replaced with the new "guts" as quite a few folks i believe have done, but i would like to retain the ability to play cds. I had thought maybe someone now was essentially doing the existing head unit "new guts" approach with a unit that had a single cd in it. I may have misunderstood what they were doing, but i thought that was essentially the process. FWIW, i have older muscle cars with radio's over 50 yrs old and they still work fine. LOL

I started a reverse engineering project with the NSX Alpine display with the intent of using an SDR, but I quickly determined I don't have the ability or knowledge to pull this off without a massive expense in time. I still have kids in high school and a ton of honey do's. So it was boxed up and shelved for next decade.

However, I suspect people would be willing to pay ~$500 for a drop-in retrofit or a 100% internal emulator. This would be a good value as the console alone is worth $400-$600 and that is before the labor of refactoring the console to fit the new unit.

Or alternatively, it would be neat to see a high-quality aftermarket console that can be machined on-demand to fit a specified audio unit. It might be cost-effective to CNC a two-piece console and either bolt or weld the pieces together. There is a fair amount of 3D scanning and prototyping capability (also next decade). I need a shop and crew like Jay Leno's...

Comm with the CD changer M-bus has been done
https://github.com/picohari/atmega128_alpine-mbus-emulator

Again, should not be hard to sell a couple of hundred units at a few hundred apiece. Hardware cost is likely <$50.

There has to be a college student looking for a Kickstarter project with a reasonable return.

> FWIW, i have older muscle cars with radio's over 50 yrs old and they still work fine.

Yes, I do too. Squeezing a simple single transistor AM radio into something the size of a shoebox at the cost of 10% of the vehicle is not difficult. Though, it would sound much better with new caps too.

The big reliability issue with the NSX is the polarized caps. I'm guessing that if Alpine spent an extra few dollars per radio on tantalums instead of the cheaper electrolytic caps, the stereo would mechanically wear out first.

Up to this point, there was no solution for NSX owners who wanted a true carbon fiber panel (like OEM) but retain their stock panel for future use!

We now offer a full carbon fiber Double DIN panel made from screw with robust OEM screw holes and ashtray delete. We even have the OEM vents near the shift knob. This is our latest V.4 panel and is made of 100% carbon so it's both super strong and lighter weight than a stock panel.

Features:

a) Lighter weight than stock
b) Super Strong 100% carbon fiber
c) OEM Robust Screw Posts just like stock
d) Slots for sensor near shift knob
e) Double DIN opening is perfectly cut with GLARE reduction
f) Retain your stock dash panel

here's a link to our site, or PM us for details on availability!

https://euroboutique.us/collections...made-from-scratch-1991-200-nsx-ashtray-delete

It's the ultimate DD dash panel for any NSX owner while retaining your stock panel for safe keeping!

thanks

EB Staff

Super light weight and strong:

Stock panel weight is heavy and this is WITHOUT ashtray assembly too:

Up to this point, there was no solution for NSX owners who wanted a true carbon fiber panel (like OEM) but retain their stock panel for future use!

Stop lying. Full carbon consoles I’ve made for years. You just recently had a company make them but you still offer the overlay garbage that requires people to exchange parts. Actually most if not all are overlay that requires a core exchange. Be careful what you state because I actually make parts vs you who doesn’t and just outsources. It’s a smear to the craft and passion to those who actually do the work and a lie to the community who fall victim to your marketing.

Please do not use the word "garbage" - just because you don't like them, there are MANY MANY owners who pick this option for their own reasons. OEM consoles in many NSX cars are damaged, peeling, and we give them a new lease on life. There are tons of advantages to OEM consoles being used.

One of the biggest reasons we use OEM consoles for Double DIN is to retain the ashtray as seen below:

(added benefit is our design allows a recessed Glare reduction design)

Every NSX owner has different preferences so it's good to offer options.

thanks!

0A78F504-319E-4030-A809-214C4F9088EF_zps5umbjzfb.jpg

Ironically, this image perfectly illustrates the point @Stephen@NCAutoUSA was trying to make.

Last edited:
so for those of us less experienced..the issue is mainly advertising....correct...some parts are labeled carbon fiber but may be an overlay of an adhesive film vs a full thickness carbon fiber vacuum formed weave....and in the past both have been simply labeled as carbon parts...

Like me to scroll in my previous texts and messages throughout the years that label them as garbage “not from myself?”

My main point was making false statements claiming to be the first when you know that most if not all parts you offer “outsourced” are overlay. I stay out most the time but when facts aren’t correct and when people rightfully know they are lying is when I’ll always be happy to chime in.

Last edited:
so for those of us less experienced..the issue is mainly advertising....correct...some parts are labeled carbon fiber but may be an overlay of an adhesive film vs a full thickness carbon fiber vacuum formed weave....and in the past both have been simply labeled as carbon parts...

Exactly, there are many variations of carbon fiber parts in the auto industry as a whole!

We do make some parts in 100% carbon but the cost of the mold is extremely high. Most of our parts are carbon fiber over the OEM stock parts which is how many mfr. do trim pieces. If you go pull off any modern BMW with carbon dash or door trims and look on the back side, it's plastic OEM parts overlaid in carbon. This is quite the industry norm. Even our Ferrari has many OEM dash trim pieces that are simply overlays of OEM plastic parts.

There is nothing wrong with either, both have their advantages and disadvantages. A lot of NSX owners want OEM dash panel underneath to maintain the screw posts and ash tray. Currently we do not make a carbon fiber dash panel with the ashtray from scratch. If a customer wants an ashtray retained, it must be an OEM panel modified.

Anyways, customers will always pick what they want, we are just here to offer options :)

Check out our latest part 1 of 3 series in which we detail doing a custom stereo install on a NSX:

https://youtu.be/iXTXIk3njgE

cheers
EB staff

www.euroboutique.us

Exactly, there are many variations of carbon fiber parts in the auto industry as a whole!

We do make some parts in 100% carbon but the cost of the mold is extremely high. Most of our parts are carbon fiber over the OEM stock parts which is how many mfr. do trim pieces. If you go pull off any modern BMW with carbon dash or door trims and look on the back side, it's plastic OEM parts overlaid in carbon. This is quite the industry norm. Even our Ferrari has many OEM dash trim pieces that are simply overlays of OEM plastic parts.

There is nothing wrong with either, both have their advantages and disadvantages. A lot of NSX owners want OEM dash panel underneath to maintain the screw posts and ash tray. Currently we do not make a carbon fiber dash panel with the ashtray from scratch. If a customer wants an ashtray retained, it must be an OEM panel modified.

Anyways, customers will always pick what they want, we are just here to offer options :)

Check out our latest part 1 of 3 series in which we detail doing a custom stereo install on a NSX:

https://youtu.be/iXTXIk3njgE

cheers
EB staff

www.euroboutique.us

^ Fitment is off, center console is covering the controls and the vents sitting over the center console. Might be a minor adjustment but I couldn’t live with that.

^ Fitment is off, center console is covering the controls and the vents sitting over the center console. Might be a minor adjustment but I couldn’t live with that.

Yes you have a good eye and we agree, the video was taken before final adjustments were made and a few screws were left off the top. The radio needed some final adjustments as you have an infinite amount of movement in the SOS Radio cage we use which is a good thing and allows the radio to be positioned correctly. Every radio and different model requires fine tuning.

We have another NSX getting a Sony 5000 app radio and it took a bit of finessing to get it to sit perfectly. Will post some more pics later.

thanks!

Back