• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The proper style helmet for track use

helmetfront.JPG

helmetside.JPG

helmetback.JPG

Can someone explain why motorcycle helmets are not appropriate for use in cars?

Is it impact resistance? multiple vs. single impact?
Fire retardant?
or is it just that the HPDE event requires a specific kind of helmet?

I find it hard to believe that my half face Snell approved helmet is "safer" than my full face DOT approved helmet. Yet, if I have an open face Snell i'll be allowed to run some HPDE when my full face DOT I am not.

I've never really heard a good answer but eager to hear some facts.

afaik its the fire rating.

SNELL approval is much more stringent than DOT approval. Your typical "biker" brain-bucket is technically DOT approved even though it's not much more protection than a bicycle helmet.

Within the SNELL catagory, you have M rated and SA rated. Between those two, Doc is correct, it's an issue of being made from fire retardant material vs. not. I suppose there isn't much chance of being stuck "inside" a burning motorcycle ;)

Also, as I mentioned earlier: Check with the group(s) or sanctioning body(ies) that you plan to run with. Some may be ok with a SNELL M-rated helmet for HPDE (as opposed to TT or Racing) if that's all you have at the moment. However, if you're buying fresh, SA is the way to go since you can do anything you want with one of those.

Can someone explain why motorcycle helmets are not appropriate for use in cars?
Is it impact resistance? multiple vs. single impact?
Fire retardant?
or is it just that the HPDE event requires a specific kind of helmet?
I find it hard to believe that my half face Snell approved helmet is "safer" than my full face DOT approved helmet. Yet, if I have an open face Snell i'll be allowed to run some HPDE when my full face DOT I am not.

I've never really heard a good answer but eager to hear some facts.
At my last NASA event at Sears Point, a good friend of mine was doing her first ever track day and all she had access to was a moto helmet. I told her that NASA wouldn't accept it so like a proper newb, she emailed the NASA HPDE director and got this clarification back:

"Hi Steve, I have a motorcycle helmet that is Snell approved, My husband says it should be ok, but my friend Robert, who has done many of your events says it won't pass tech inspection! Who is correct"?

Response from NASA:
"You need a car helmet with a Snell rating. Motorcycle helmets are different and have a Snell M rating. A motorcycle helmet is designed to withstand one big impact where as a car helmet is designed for multiple impacts. Since I assume you're going to be doing this more than just this one event, it would be a good idea to have your own helmet that fits well. Open face is fine and probably better to learn in. It's lighter, cooler, easier to see out of and hear your instructor as well. If you buy a Snell 2010 you'll be able to use it for a loooong time".

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
It does seem I really do have to find a place that sells them and try one on. I don't want to go to over board "yet" I've never gone out on a road course yet I'm hoping when I do, I never need the helmet and never crash. I wear glasses so its nice to know that they offer bigger lens openings thou.

Thats interesting how old a Sparco is it? their other products seem to be good quality.
heres another company that does this style http://www.orgmotorsports.com/
If you wear glasses these are a great option

Ehhh it's about 3 years old with a two year old paint job. It does have decent quality but I prefer Arai over them. For the price, this was a deal though.
photo.jpg

Without getting into too many details about testing standards, the SA ratings were developed to be more appropriate for motorsport use.

This includes differences between standards regarding eyeport size, conditioning, impact energies, test anvil selection and test criteria in addition to the fire resistance mentioned earlier.

Although the helmets look alike, and there is some overlap in testing: buy the one that 1) is applicable for your purpose, 2) fits and 3) suits your budget.

For what it's worth, I'd use a full face helmet for any sort of track use.

Back