• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Question. Why did you buy NSX?

Damn lambos. I can't buy it right now and i know i will buy one later, but damn i wannit right now so bad so i just can't wait. you know nsx is a finest japan car but it has only one problem - lamborghini. Damn lambs make me think that nsx isn't cool enough...
How you guys deal with it?
I know a lot of children who don't know how to drive but always talk about how great Lambos are. I for one think most Lambo are trash. The only Lambo that looks like a drivable car is the Gallardo. If you don't have a chance to sit in a Murci or Diablo, you would not know how poorly the cars are designed. Almost everything on those cars hinders your ability to operate the car. You simply cannot see jack while sitting on the driver's seat. I would not even attempt to back up the car without having another person guide me. I could talk all day about how cool a Zonda is compared with my NSX. Oh, should I buy a Zonda instead of the NSX? NSX or Zonda? Hmmmm.... it would be nothing but trash talk if I don't really have the mean to afford a Zonda. So to summarize your dilemma: Yeah, I have(supposedly) $40k to spend on a car and the NSX is a top candidate, but that $200k Lambo that I cannot afford makes the NSX not cool enough. How do I deal with that?
The way all of us real NSX owners dealt with this is to apply that $30k to $90k that we truly have and bought the NSX that we can actually afford and call it a day. Sounds pretty easy and practical, right? Masturbatory fantasies just won't work.
Steve

For the OP, there is a thread from a couple months ago regarding NSX owners who have sold their NSX, and then either regretted it, or purchased another NSX thus coming full circle. In this thread, many of these people explain WHY they went back to the NSX. Good read.

I would be interested in this thread, do you happen to know what it was titled? A link would be best!

Thanks,
David

Greetings

Rent a Lambo for a day before buying one. That way you can take it driving without the owner or a car salesperson riding with you -- be sure to take all insurance with zero dollar deductible. You need to drive it at least 200 miles at one time. You may have to fly to Miami, Vegas, or LA to do this It will be an eye opening experience.

Martin

I know a lot of children who don't know how to drive but always talk about how great Lambos are. I for one think most Lambo are trash. The only Lambo that looks like a drivable car is the Gallardo. If you don't have a chance to sit in a Murci or Diablo, you would not know how poorly the cars are designed. Almost everything on those cars hinders your ability to operate the car. You simply cannot see jack while sitting on the driver's seat. I would not even attempt to back up the car without having another person guide me. I could talk all day about how cool a Zonda is compared with my NSX. Oh, should I buy a Zonda instead of the NSX? NSX or Zonda? Hmmmm.... it would be nothing but trash talk if I don't really have the mean to afford a Zonda. So to summarize your dilemma: Yeah, I have(supposedly) $40k to spend on a car and the NSX is a top candidate, but that $200k Lambo that I cannot afford makes the NSX not cool enough. How do I deal with that?
The way all of us real NSX owners dealt with this is to apply that $30k to $90k that we truly have and bought the NSX that we can actually afford and call it a day. Sounds pretty easy and practical, right? Masturbatory fantasies just won't work.
Steve

Freakin hilarious Steve!:biggrin:

Greetings

Rent a Lambo for a day before buying one. That way you can take it driving without the owner or a car salesperson riding with you -- be sure to take all insurance with zero dollar deductible. You need to drive it at least 200 miles at one time. You may have to fly to Miami, Vegas, or LA to do this It will be an eye opening experience.

Martin

and then, you will know to buy the NSX :biggrin:

I decided a few months ago to buy a newer car. I looked at the Cayman S. Local dealer had a demo for 56K. Didn't like the commoness one on every corner and no targa. Looked at a lotus Exige S dealer offered a left over 07 with no miles for 60K wife wouldn't sit in it and I thought it was a hell of a lot of fun to drive but very inconvienent. Bought an 05 Red/Blk NSX 68K. Will be here next week.
Tony

I bought mine on a whim and knew nothing about the car. I never even test drove one until the car was delivered to my house. It was my daily driver for four years and it may resume that duty when my lease is up next April with my current car.

I bought mine on a whim and knew nothing about the car. I never even test drove one until the car was delivered to my house. It was my daily driver for four years and it may resume that duty when my lease is up next April with my current car.

+1
:cool:

Because I wanted a four wheeled motorbike.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mweFrLiRSCY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mweFrLiRSCY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

My reason was a little different than most. I'm a car guy and I've always had a 'top 10' list .. but when it was my turn to buy, the list narrowed to one when tested against my requirement to "be a daily driver, year round". Where I live, that means it has to start at -35; be driveable and safe on ice/snow; be reliable; and not be a rust bucket after 5 years. After 7 years and 60k miles .. it continues to meet those requirements.

I've always summarized it as: "the looks and rarity of an exotic; the performance of a muscle car; the gas mileage of a family sedan; and the reliability of a Honda"

Well I can't answer why I bought one (because I haven't yet) but the reason I am preferrring to go seeking one very soon one over a Corvette or Porsche is because Hondas are, hands down, the best engineered cars on the road & Corvettes & Porsches (along with Mercedes Benz & BMWs) are, at least here in Dallas, belly-button cars. Everyone has one! I don't want to see myslef coming & going every 5 minutes. O.K., I do currently drive a Honda Accord coupe (a belly-button car for sure), but I'm trying to change that. I got it at the time because I needed a daily driver in addition to my 308...

Well I can't answer why I bought one (because I haven't yet) but the reason I am preferrring to go seeking one very soon one over a Corvette or Porsche is because Hondas are, hands down, the best engineered cars on the road & Corvettes & Porsches (along with Mercedes Benz & BMWs) are, at least here in Dallas, belly-button cars. Everyone has one! I don't want to see myslef coming & going every 5 minutes. O.K., I do currently drive a Honda Accord coupe (a belly-button car for sure), but I'm trying to change that. I got it at the time because I needed a daily driver in addition to my 308...

You aren't selling the 308 are you?

I wanted a true sports car, and I wanted to sit in front of the engine- sometimes I think that means the same thing.

What other mid engine cars are affordable for someone who is looking at an early NSX (I got a '92)?

I wish the 911 didn't have the engine in the wrong place, or I might have bought one of those instead.

MR2- even the 2nd gen turbos are more in the compact car class, good competition for Integras and Civics.

Fiero- ... moving on...

Nick

You aren't selling the 308 are you?

Sadly, due to a major bad career decision, I had to sell the 308 a few years ago. When I had it, I was SERIOUSLY torn each time others would try to get me to trade in the 308 for an NSX. I will have another Ferrari in the near future (not sure how near & it will probably cost quite a bit more than a 308...) but in the mean time I want an NSX instead of my Accord EX V6 coupe.

one of the most beautiful cars ever made. (2nd generation exterior for me)
perfect handling.
RARE. you dont see it every day except yours. LOL

Greetings

I looked at sports cars for 10 months before purchasing. I created a spreadsheet and drove 46 machines that I did not buy. I looked at and drove cars costing over $100K. Money was important, but I wanted something that can be driven daily, was fun to drive, was different or could easily be made special, and could driven without serious extended downtimes for maintenance.

I drove Acura, Audi, BMW, Corvette, Ferrari, Ford GT, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lamborghini, Lexus, MB, Porsche, Vipers, -- I don't think that I left out anything else that I drove. I rented a few of them so that I could run the hell out of them without the owner or a car salesman sitting white knuckled beside me.

The Ford GT was the most amazing of them all. It was pricey, but affordable. It was too scary to own -- it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

I drove 5 NSX's that I did not buy -- screwed up by not buying the 3rd one (perfect color combo), but thought too much money at the time. Pet bought me the one we have for my birthday.

Cheers,
Martin

Last edited:
Back