• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

thermostat issue?

BAG

Registered Member
When driving my new purchase home(2 1/2 hours) this evening my temperature gauge would read zero or +1mark when in 5th gear and 80 mph. When I'd downshift and accelerate it would rise a little more then return to low levels at lower rpms. When I'd stop and restart it would initially rise to about 50% level then again read +1 mark at lower rpms.
A thermostat malfunction was discussed when purchasing via BARNEY.
How do i troubleshoot issue and am I ok to drive till addressed.
thanks....
BAG

The thermostat is one of the few failures I had on my NSX in 10 years. You can do a search on it, but in short, the Honda thermostat is an overdesign that causes a reliability problem. Where the rest of the world relies on a brass plate sealing to a brass seat, Honda puts an O-ring around the moving plate. That O-ring often "mushrooms" off of the moving plate, causing the thermostat to stick open. For that reason, when my thermostat failed in 2005, I replaced it with one from NAPA rather than an OEM part. Never had it fail again.

Is the gates thermostate from rock auto's any good?

i've heard good and bad about the Oem Honda by posts on here.

I have a brand new Mugen one sitting at home but not sure i should fit it or not by reviews i have been reading that they open too early. epsecially be pants here in the uk as we don't have the hotter temps you guys do.

My car cat sit there for 10 mins and it only starts to register on the temp guage, on a drive it can drop below half on one occasion hitting the first notch so i'm sure it's stuck open and need to by a replacement.

Also need to buy two new o2 sensors, pre cat, going to order NTK 24172. Rock Auto do the o2 sensors at the best price i can find. make sense to order both thermostate and sensor from same place.

They do these brands never heard of any.

Gates and BGA

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,195366,parttype,2200

the other one isnt in stock.

The tstat was bad when I bought my 1997 NSX in 2006. I replaced it with an OEM part, which was different than the one in the car. I don't remember exactly what was different, but I remember thinking at the time "hmmm....this looks like it wouldn't do what the first one did." It has worked perfectly since for whatever its worth (30K miles).

Back