• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thinking about upgrading my 1995 rims (16/17) to some Enkeis (17/18)...

Aesthetics aside, am I going to notice a massive difference in my ride and handling? The current tires are modest (245s on rear, 215s on front) and the newer ones comparable to slightly wider in rear.

BTW, the last NSX I had had 18/19s and they were meaty. I didn't enjoy that ride too much. Bounced all over the place.

I actually prefer the handling on my 17/18 Prodrives to the OEMs. Ride is a touch smoother though that could also just be because changing wheels forces you to change tires.

18/19 ride quality and "bouncing" don't always mean it's the tires or sizing of wheels. A lot of the bouncing characteristic was probably from your suspension.

Good point. My old one had a pretty tight setup. This one seems a little more forgiving.

BTW, New Orleans...you ever take the NSX down Tchoupitoulas? Back in the day, that was one potholed street.

Good point. My old one had a pretty tight setup. This one seems a little more forgiving.

BTW, New Orleans...you ever take the NSX down Tchoupitoulas? Back in the day, that was one potholed street.

Haha I still store my nsx up north but have driven down here a few times. That street is a ton better now but the roads down here are by far the worst I've ever driven on.

Now they have Saint Charles all torn up and I can't even get to the grocery store without construction!

Hello- Wondering if you upgrade from your 95 wheels if you will be putting them up for sale? I'm located in Chicago burbs. Thanks

Aesthetics aside, am I going to notice a massive difference in my ride and handling? The current tires are modest (245s on rear, 215s on front) and the newer ones comparable to slightly wider in rear.
You won't notice any difference in handling due strictly to the difference in size (although see below). Ride comfort will be slightly harsher with the larger wheels due to their shorter sidewalls, but the difference won't be huge.

However, you may encounter a substantial difference in handling with a different make/model of tires. For example, "extreme performance tires" (like the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 or Kumho Ecsta XS in 16"/17", or the Dunlop Direzza ZII or Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R in 17"/18") will give you much, much better handling and grip than tires from a lower performance category, with a downside of faster treadwear. You can also find differences in handling and grip arising from differences in tread depth or air pressure. So you may find differences in handling and grip, but that does not mean they will be due only to the difference in sizes; chances are, they aren't.

Back