• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thinking of going 17's all the way around.

Currently have the 16" and 17" factory combo on the car but the availability of tires in those stock sizes is pretty limited. ie. The local Discount Tire shop "only" carries the Dunlop DZ101 in those sizes.

If I go to 17's (ie 2002-2005) all the way around they carry over a dozen different choices in the stock sizes.

Anyone here go 17's all the way around? or do most people stay with the staggered sizes?

The roads here suck and won't be getting any better with all the budget cuts so I don't want to go any bigger than 17".

Visually, most aftermarket wheels look better on an NSX staggered IMHO.

Running the same diameter wheel in front and rear usually creates an illusion that the front wheel looks larger then the rear. Also, if you have a big lip(deep dish) in the rear, the illusion is even more apparent.

Im running 17/18 and 18" rears(depending on tire size) are not a problem for most CA roads.

Go 17's all around if you plan on getting a set of oem 2002+ wheels.

Gah. Guess I'll cross those off the list.

That 17/18 OZ combo in black from TireRack(special order) is looking better and better.

There is no mystery to 17/17.Works just fine, more tire choices ect.. There are so many wheel options just browse the vendors sites.Only you know whether you are looking for esthetics ,light weight,or both.Things to remember,if only for street stick to 215 front and rear can be 255 on up to 275 widths.Make sure hub centering rings are included if hub bores don't match.Make sure the new wheels come with lug nuts that have the appropriate taper or seat design.I'm sure there are plenty of unknowing owners out there who buy second hand wheels on line and use thier stock lugs or worse random pep boys lugs.

That is why I like using TireRack. They send you the correct lug nuts, centering rings(if needed).

Choices I've narrowed it down to right now are the ASA(licensed by BBS) AR1's(silver) in 17" (7" wide front, 8" wide rear) with 215's up from and 245's out back.

or the OZ Ultraleggera(black) in 17 x 8 up front and 18 x 9 rear with 215's up front and 255's in rear. These are about double the price of the ASA's but look bad ass. Wife gave me the evil eye when I showed her the price on these. :p I may have to buy her a new lens for her camera if I buy these so I need to add that cost into these as well. ;)

8 inch is too narrow a wheel for the nsx if you are going to a 17 or 18 inch wheel.Its ok if you are messing around with the original 15/16 combo,but that is real ol school:wink: 9-10 inchy is what I would be looking at for the rear.The classic rear tire size for the 17/18 combo is 265/35/18.

If memory serves me correctly, the TCS will engage if you run 17's all the way around on early model cars like yours and mine. I know this by experience. If you don't mind driving WITHOUT the TSC engaged then it shouldn't be a problem. You'll just have to turn it off everytime you get in the car as it is on by default upon startup.

You would think that would only matter if the overall tire circumference were radically different from front to rear.

Interesting. If I put my car as a 92 on tirerack it shows a 255/18 for the rear. If I change that to 94 it shows a 265/18 for the exact same wheel.

Those OZ's(17/18) look so nice I am leaning in that direction(wife's evil eye aside).

You would think that would only matter if the overall tire circumference were radically different from front to rear.

Interesting. If I put my car as a 92 on tirerack it shows a 255/18 for the rear. If I change that to 94 it shows a 265/18 for the exact same wheel.

Those OZ's(17/18) look so nice I am leaning in that direction(wife's evil eye aside).

Tire rack is not always correct , also they are very conservative to avoid issues.

If memory serves me correctly, the TCS will engage if you run 17's all the way around on early model cars like yours and mine. I know this by experience. If you don't mind driving WITHOUT the TSC engaged then it shouldn't be a problem. You'll just have to turn it off everytime you get in the car as it is on by default upon startup.

You just need to make sure that you tire size is within +- 3% of stock.

I had my heart set on going 17/18 but came across a smokin' deal on some 17" BBS wheels from www.rbwheels.com

for the price I paid I was willing to compromise :biggrin:

Actually , it looks like you could make a set of 17 / 18 from what they have in stock , you would need to buy two sets and refinish them , but this is just the sort of crazy thing I would do , you never know , the left over 18" fronts and 17" rears could sell on ebay as singles??

The Ultraleggeras are racing bred really light, very high quality wheels. An excellent choice!

yes , but also easily bent / broken , I have a set.

8 inch is too narrow a wheel for the nsx if you are going to a 17 or 18 inch wheel.

That is kinda what I thought too but went with it since other wheel choices were showing the same. If there were more tire choices for the stock 16/17 combo I would stick with them. I don't like having to put a mediocre tire on my car just because that is the only ones the tire shop can get in stock sizes.

Tire rack is not always correct , also they are very conservative to avoid issues.

Yeah, noticed that. Discount tire at least gives you the option of choosing plus 0 size when selecting tires for your rims.

Actually , it looks like you could make a set of 17 / 18 from what they have in stock , you would need to buy two sets and refinish them , but this is just the sort of crazy thing I would do , you never know , the left over 18" fronts and 17" rears could sell on ebay as singles??

Too much damn work. :biggrin:

yes , but also easily bent / broken , I have a set.

That is what I am worried about. The roads can be pretty bad in some parts of CA. The times I have ventured into NV you instantly know when you cross the state line because the roads are so much nicer in NV. Hell, even one of my OEM rims has a slight doink in it which likely came from one of the previous owners hitting a pot hole.

If memory serves me correctly, the TCS will engage if you run 17's all the way around on early model cars like yours and mine.

My 91 works perfectly fine with 215/40 and 255/40/17 02+ wheels. If you go with 245/40 I can agree with you. On 91-96 cars you solve any potential problem with 255/40.

17/17 is my favorite combo, a good compromise overall. The wheel shape makes a lot of difference to the appearance of the size. 02+ wheels are sexy! :) If you're worried about bent rims go for forged ones. Volk maybe. OZ's are not expensive. If you bend one just buy a new one.

Last edited:
if someone finds lightweight wheels at good price and style we can agree on, i'd be inclined to purchase 17 in and 18 in sets together and split them in separate 17/18 sets.

Might try getting these OEM style in silver:

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/ACURA/NSX/2002/

Would I need to use spacers to put these on my 92?

I have the same ones 17/17 on my 91 I got off a 2002 and had them powder coated black. Autowave did a great job by using a little wider spacer on both the front and back to clear the brakes and made the car look much more aggressive with no rubbing. They fill out the wheel well.

Last edited:
Back