• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thoughts on a JDM 1990 Honda NSX

I can't help you determine a value, however owning and driving a RHD car in a LHD country is a pain the a$$.

No doubt. I wouldn't daily it and drive it almost exclusively to car-related events. That is my hope as to retain the novelty of it. I guess the other potential issues are the differences in fuel grades and radio frequency.

Noticed it doesn't have an emblem in the front...was that a feature of these first-year cars? Updated tail lights as well, it seems.

It should have an emblem on the front.

Just FYI as I had a RHD car before, there are a few parts that are RHD specific and thus, if you needed to replace them, you would need to find someone that can import JDM parts for you. It is a lot easier nowadays compared to when I had mine but something to keep in mind. Sometimes even the windshield is RHD specific.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, registering it with the state does not mean federally legal and thus, if they really wanted to, they could take it from you and crush it at anytime.

Just FYI as I had a RHD car before, there are a few parts that are RHD specific and thus, if you needed to replace them, you would need to find someone that can import JDM parts for you. It is a lot easier nowadays compared to when I had mine but something to keep in mind. Sometimes even the windshield is RHD specific.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, registering it with the state does not mean federally legal and thus, if they really wanted to, they could take it from you and crush it at anytime.

Does the include all cars imported over 25 years old?

- - - Updated - - -

You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l7JCb3RDqQ

^Way to crush a man's dreams...literally. At least the commentary on the video was entertaining.

- - - Updated - - -

This particular car (built December 1989) should be okay, no?

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ%20Site/pages/page2.html#Anchor-28852

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/278/kw/vehicle/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDU1NzIyNTU2L3NpZC9SYzNnaGpKbQ%3D%3D/~/importing-a-non-u.s.-version-%2F-non-conforming-vehicle-or-car-into-the-u.s.

Seller says he has forms DOT HSV-7 and EPA 3520-1

If it was my money I'd try and get guidance, direction, and some kind of verbal blessing from the parties that decide if the car is legal to import or not.
Relying on opinions on a forum won't do much good if your car is being towed to a crusher.

driving a rhd in a lhd country is a mental and physical challenge ...as DocL mentioned

Yes, I'm resolved to spend my $ elsewhere. Now if the NSX wasn't available at all in the States these past 25+ years, I would have a better argument, but seeing that I can buy a perfectly good example made for the U.S, the answer is clear: paying a premium for JDM is absolutely out of the question. Please excuse my momentary lapse of judgment.

Next year when Canadians can start importing '02 Type Rs, we will be saying "Do it!! And bring it to NSXPO!!!"

Last edited:
OP,

If you are really serious about legally importing a JDM NSX, contact these guys.

http://www.japaneseclassicsllc.com/

I have not purchased a car from them, but from all the research I've done, they do it the right way. Your "new-to-you" JDM NSX will not be crushed as it will be fully legal and can be licensed in all 50 states. They could possibly be another MotoRex, but you really won't know until it is too late.

Keep in mind the difficulties with a "gray-market" car though. Financing if needed, auto insurance, etc. These are all things you have to take into consideration prior to making the move. State registration is the easy part, which is why so many cars that are illegally imported make their way through DMV.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to ride around Suzuka in one just like that. That Red is a beautiful car in person. And while I was there I saw a Black one that was spectacular.

Jealous. Sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity!

OP,

If you are really serious about legally importing a JDM NSX, contact these guys.

http://www.japaneseclassicsllc.com/

I have not purchased a car from them, but from all the research I've done, they do it the right way. Your "new-to-you" JDM NSX will not be crushed as it will be fully legal and can be licensed in all 50 states. They could possibly be another MotoRex, but you really won't know until it is too late.

Keep in mind the difficulties with a "gray-market" car though. Financing if needed, auto insurance, etc. These are all things you have to take into consideration prior to making the move. State registration is the easy part, which is why so many cars that are illegally imported make their way through DMV.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the lead. I've given up on the JDM NSX. Now if they got another one of these http://japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1989-honda-acty-street-kei-van/...

I've looked at it as well.. Might move forward with it. The markup on the NSX is so high in the US it's laughable.

This reminds me of a job I had in High School. Somehow a uniform company trusted me with the delivery truck (a converted postal truck) to deliver uniforms to Police and Fire Departments. It was RHD. It made me question all my love for driving. RHD is SUCH A PAIN IN THE ASS. You'd have to be crazy in my opinion to drive a car like that here. It zaps all the fun because, even after 2yrs, I was always constantly compensating by being on the other side of the road. YMMV obviously.

It's why I can never own one of my favorite cars.. the R33 GTR or a true NSX-R

Last edited:
I own a Japanese spec NSX in Japan and have a few thoughts on this.

First, I remember when this car was put up for sale and I don't think there were any concerns about its legality.
Forms that you want to have:
-CBP Form 3461 (CBP Release...should have chassis number on it)
-CBP Form 7501 (Entry Summary...should have chassis number on it)
-EPA Form 3520 (Declaration of Importation - Should be marked in Box E as "vehicle is at least 21 years old...original unmodified condition"
-DOT Form HS7 (Declaration of Importation - Should be marked in Box 1 as "exempt due to being 25 years old"

You file the latter two forms and get the first two forms. If he has the latter two, which he says he does, and they're signed with customs entry numbers at the top, it's a good bet that he went through the proper channels. I'd still want to see the CBP Form 3461 specifying the release however.

The only problem with this car really is that it was stated to be a 12/89 (December 1989) which is impossible. His chassis number for a Japanese car was consistent with a 9/90, so if it was released prior to 9/2015, you could potentially have issues (not likely). Just something to think about.

I don't know how many other people here drive a RHD in the US, but I do fairly regularly, and I drive a LHD work vehicle on roads in Japan. It's not that big of a deal, and the Japanese don't even think anything of it. Just realize your normal habit patterns will have to change and you'll have blind spots where you had none before. I do prefer LHD in a LHD world as that's how I learned, but I really don't mind the swap. In fact, about all I'd get rid of my NSX for would be a US Midnight Pearl '95-96.

All that being said, it's smarter to buy a US NSX that has maintenance records than chancing spending alot more money on this car hoping the PPI will give an accurate indication of where the car is at maintenance-wise.

Japanese NSXs are not much of a bargain when all said and done, even when you source it and import it yourself. You'll spend more in the long run to have almost an identical car as a US model with unknown maintenance status.

- - - Updated - - -

Thoughts on this. If you look at the forms above and have those, it has been released. Japanese Classics LLC isn't an RI (Registered Importer), they just import the car and broker it through given the proper documentation. They're just a dealer that knows how to import a car via the exemptions. Motorex was an RI in that they received the car and were tasked by NHTSA, DOT, and EPA to bring the car up to a conforming status to be issued a bond release, which they failed to do on numerous occasions. If you have the CBP release forms and they are accurate, there's nothing to worry about as they're bringing these cars in under exemption status straight off the boat. There's no "gray market" status.

Keep in mind also that even though this complies with Federal law, you still may need to meet more stringent State laws such as smog, safety inspection, or even CARB. Trying to register in CA is like trying to import to another foreign country after you bring the car into the US. It's an expensive 2 day process which many cars fail. Many DMVs are now wise to the fact that they need to see the above paperwork to verify the car's legitimacy, but like you mentioned there's a way around everything and people will take the easy way out.

Last edited:
Back