• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thoughts on the value of our NSX now

i really think its gonna around 100k would you 2002+ owners sell there cars for the newer nsx? synth?

80k for this new nsx would drop the 2002+ price alot imo.

Last edited:
...I don't think the new NSX will affect the resale value of the NA1/2 all that much. ......The original NSX is a pure focused driver's car with little to no technology between the road and the driver, it's just you and some basic inputs.

I think this sums it up well. The folks buying older NSX's are buying them for what they are. The new NSX's competition is all the other cars in the class (Porsche 911, Audi R8, Nissan GTR, Corvette) IMHO, it has no relation at all to what the market value will bear for older NSX's

For a comparable, Older 911's values rise for what they were historically in the sports car realm and/or nostalgia for the *ahem* middle aged buyers who seek them out. The finer examples will continue to appreciate and the thrashed out versions will sink.
The NA1 fits that description as well, and probably even has an advantage due to the fact there are fewer examples available. The well preserved cars will continue to be in demand. NA2 may not fare as well, IF the new NSX is in the $80K range. If it's in the $120K range it would be less of an impact. Frankly, I don't see them trying to push the price much over $100K.

Last edited:
i really think its gonna around 100k would you 2002+ owners sell there cars for the newer nsx? synth?

80k for this new nsx would drop the 2002+ price alot imo.

If priced at around 80k, would it drop the prices of the 2002-2005 models? In theory, it's possible. I think there is a chance the value will go down a tad. But it's hard to say at this point. We all know that many NSX owners have an emotional connection to their car, and not to mention the relatively low production from 2002-2005. If you look at other special cars that have been replaced by a "newer" model, the special ones still demand a high price and have maintained their value (ie. e30 m3, aircooled 993, etc).

Personally, I really don't know what I would do if the "new" NSX is within my price point. It's a tough decision. Keep one of the greatest cars ever built, or "upgrade?"

yeah i dont see it being 80k tho bc the older nsx was 90k already but who knows. i have to see it in person first but 3 years is a long wait time could buy a nice used lambo for 80k in 3 years also

My NSX is worth about $25000 (if it was all stock) I certainly would not want to sell it for less than that (assuming I wanted to sell it), even though I spent over $15000 in maintenance and upgrades. The NSX owners who do not have the money to spend over $100000 for a new car would probably not likely give up their cars soon and not for less money.

Last edited:
Buy the car to drive and enjoy yourself, not keeping in pristine shape for the next owner.

I completely agree with this statement. I didn't buy the NSX to think about selling it and worrying about how much it'll be worth in the future. I bought it for me because I love everything it is and stands for. In all honesty, most likely I'll be buried in this car! :tongue:

I do agree that the newer NSX will go for around if not a little more than $90K considering Honda is making it AWD & hybrid to make a statement (as per its MO). Still wouldn't sell mine just to "upgrade."

I'm not much of a fan of the way NSX 2.0 looks (R8 wanna-be front end and the lights in the back just look like a TSX). IMO, I think the "original" NSXs have a much more exotic look, where as the NSX 2.0 just looks like a mix of the already existing supercars, like the R8 & Gallardo.

I'm expecting the orig NSX will retain its value quite well. In Japan the value of older Skyline GTRs have appreciated, especially the R34 since the introduction of the R35. Sure the new GTR kills the older ones in all depts but like NSX 2.0 it's so different from the older, simpler RB powered Skylines that it's actually made a lot of GTR enthusiasts cling to their older machines. I expect the new NSX will draw new owners but like what I've seen with Skyliners, the new car might split the community into two distinct camps.

Posted from my iPhone

. Used R8's are creeping down towards the 80k mark

No, not really.

The R8 is holding very well at the 100k mark. There are a few high mileage ones in the mid 90's. I've not seen any in the 80's.

I have almost no interest in most new cars or new car styling. I do however love the R8.

Last edited:
I agree with you SWIFTVISION. I am not really enamoured by any of the "new" sports cars, except the Audi R8 (with the V8).

Most, if not all, cars now have to many of what I like to call baby sitters, or nannies. I could have bought any year of NSX, but I purposely bought a 1991 because of the fact that it was the lightest, it did not have power steering, it was a standard (though a 6 speed would be nice), I can turn off the traction control and I have removed the ABS. This car is pretty much as close as you can get to pure driving experience. It is just you and the car. The view from the cockpit is second to none. The car should be an extension of you, and to me, the NSX is just that.

When/if the new NSX comes out, I will check it out at the dealership. I will marvel at its technology. I will wonder how many computers and electronics are in the car controlling every aspect of the driving experience, probably even controlling parallel parking. Then I will hop in my 1991 NSX and become one with the car and the road and drive away with a smile on my face knowing that I own one of the best cars ever made.

Really doesn't matter to me what my car is worth. I honestly plan on keeping it till I die. This has always been my dream car. I actually had a guy at cars&coffee over the weekend asking me if I would sell it. I explained I couldn't replace it and didn't matter how much he wanted to pay for it. Lol

Really doesn't matter to me what my car is worth. I honestly plan on keeping it till I die. This has always been my dream car. I actually had a guy at cars&coffee over the weekend asking me if I would sell it. I explained I couldn't replace it and didn't matter how much he wanted to pay for it. Lol

Oh please, EVERYTHING is for sale (at the right price).

I bet you would sell me your car for $200K, cash, right now.

No, not really.

The R8 is holding very well at the 100k mark. There are a few high mileage ones in the mid 90's. I've not seen any in the 80's.

Just did a random quick search and these two showed up:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=306274757
26,800 miles, $89,900 list price. Drop a few thousand off if you push the salesman as this is being sold by a dealership.

Same story here:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=313587766

When the dealership list prices are just under 90k, you are likely to find private sellers or motivated dealerships who will come closer to the $85k value. 2008 was 4 years ago, values drop...

Right, the two cheapest R8's in the country are 90K. With most in the high to mid-90's.

Some things that need to be considered:

This new NSX will be released in 2015, a 2005 will be a 10 year old car. It's value will probably be close to bottoming out by then.

There were less than 1000 02-05 NSXs made. That is a miniscule amount. All of them will be valuable, with top picks depending on quality, mileage and paint rarity of course.

For the amount of 02-05 NSX available, there will be very few people who will be "cross shopping" the new NSX with them.

An $80k new NSX may affect the price, but in the long run, I can't see it happening. The original car is just too old and too rare. A new NSX will come 10 years after its last production run of 248 cars for 2005! Any price above $80k is just a bonus to the resale of the older cars.

Last edited:
Guys the NSX, much like the 98 Porsche 911 (993) C4S that I have, may just stay where it is and/or increase in price yearly.

Both cars were made in low production numbers and both are classics when compared to newer versions...time will tell.

I don't know if I'd say that, look at most of GM's line up in the 80's and 90's.

Impala
Malibu
Grand Am/Prix
The SS badge that they slapped on pretty much anything
Etc.

yeah, but that said, the fact that the current Impala, for instance, is a rental car at-best hasn't really hurt the value of a well-kept original '60s example either.

I figure we could see at least a brief upswing in value around the time the new car comes out if it doesn't suck. This would be mainly due to just increased awareness as there will invariably be comparisons to the "classic" NSXs in the reviews and articles. How much/how long?: who knows...

Question: What would you rather own... a 1956 300SL Gull Wing or a 2013 SL550?

(NOTE: Don't answer you'd like the 2013 SL63 Black Series or I'd counter with a 1956 300SL Gull Wing aluminum body, knock-off wheels and sport cam.)

Answer: Different strokes for different folks. (NOTE how values have changed -- granted it's been over 50 years.)

Last edited:
beating the R8 price like a dead horse...

When the list price on a used car is $89k, the sale price is not necessarily $89k unless you are one of those crazy people who doesn't bargain with a dealership. Unless you are going to Carmax, expect to talk down the sticker price. The bigger the sticker, often the bigger the margin to bargain.

So when I see $89k sticker on a big ticket item like an R8, it says $85k or less to me. Those 2 R8's are pretty solid looking too - with 4 years on the market I bet there are some kicking around 40,000 miles or more and the price is going to be lower. Or maybe you have one that has been a little fender bender that brings the price down a touch. Either way, a motivated buyer with a little patience and around $85k or less in his pocket can probably find a used R8 to wiggle their butt in to in my humble opinion.

Yeah, I'd rather have a '67 or '66 Vette than a new one. it's the look/design.
It's a wait and see for the new NSX. Only time will tell.

The price of the NSX will largely be dictated by the people on Prime. Well, kind of anyways. It's a rare bird...so when the supply is little, the seller sets the market. The NSX will be worth what the people on this list want it to be.

I bough a pretty pristine 2004 and it's pretty much in the same condition as I bought it (minus a few aesthetic changes). I occasionally check Ebay, AT, etc and from what I see, I could probably sell it for the same price I bought it for. Probably for more actually.

I know opinions vary on the new NSX, but what I think is agreeable is that it won't be the same benchmark car as the original--in terms of performance, rarity, and what other cars it competes with. The original NSX still shines--I think everybody here can attest to that, the attention it gets, etc.

I think the original NSX run has already cemented its legendary status. I don't expect the new car to impact the values in a negative light. The cars will maintain their values--which is essentially an increase in value as vehicles are a depreciating asset. Given what I've seen (of at least late NSX models), the prices are stable.

One question I have for the peanut gallery is--where do you come up with 91s (and to a lesser extent 05s) being that much more valuable? Is theory founded in reality or only speculative--do 91s cost more than say 92s or 94s? It makes sense for 05s to cost more than 03, 04s, etc because they are newer and likely lower mileage--but is the delta really that great? I think the newer run 02-05s will be similarly priced to one another and I don't have the knowledge to say that 91 > years after it.

Back