• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Three laps at shannonville.

Hey guys finally got around to upload one of the vids I took this past summer, this one is the one vid is where I had the less traffic.

I am actually looking for some pointers as you can see I am not fully confident on the NSX yet, and I having problems mostly on the sweeper.

This season I will be spending more time at Mosport, but I will probably need a couple more shakedown on the car first.

Also the gearing on the car is killing me as you can see, anyways some C&C would be very much appreciate it.

Thanks,

-MSR

(video available on 720p)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cvxxxj-5t6E?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" width="1280" frameborder="0" height="750"></iframe>

obviously, I had never been to this track so there always a few elements that we couldn't tell from the video.

It seems to me that you are getting pretty familiar with the track. You missed apex a few times and you should time your hand a little faster when downshifting, and in a few corners, it appears that you are readjusting your seat position before enter the fast high g corner.

My suggestion would be a bucket seat, and yeah, I'm those outlaw that has my recaro without roll bar so don't take my advise if you not comfortable with the idea.

once you are more secure you can pay more attention of the placement of your car at the braking zones and you may be even more comfortable of downshifting to lower gear in the lower speed corner.

it may be just the camera, but it also looks like you not using the whole track, you'll be surprised how much more speed you can carry into the corner (and sooner you can full throttle) if you getting that few more inches before the turn in and getting closer to the apex.

I love the fact that you have the camera, before i have the G2x, I will just look at my everylap and find out the best sessions i did, and I remembering that line, then I just try to piece them together next time I go to the track. I also find watching them before you hit the track helps. Also youtube is your friend, try to see if you have anyone race at the track and take notes of what they drive and how you would approach it in your car.

I'm not an instructor, nor engaged in any race before, so I'm just an amateur. someone please correct me if I given him any ill advise. :smile:

Hey thanks!,

Yeah I have to work on shifting faster, my heel and toe it's ok but defenately I have to do it faster.
I have just bought new seats, they should help slot.
It is very uncomfortable to have to re-adjust at almost every corner, also the leather is very slippery and doesnt help.

I feel where I am having more "trouble" would be the sweepers , I am always thinking the car will just snap oversteer.
I just installed SOS rear beam bushings and toe links, this should help me with predicting the rear end better so I can start pushing more.

Thanks for the feed back,

Any other feed back is very welcome guys.

-MSR

me too on scare of going too fast on sweepers, and took me couple years to try driving fast in those sessions. Seat time is more important than anything, oh, and next time you get to track, just like when you setting up the car, try not to do too many things at once.

say first session, you are going to work on your timing of downshifting and familiar with different lines, see if you notice any difference.

second session, you go ahead and connect the dots. then next session, you work on the fear of sweeper by going just a little 1-2mph faster? different modulation of the throttle, timing etc.

oh by the way, I don't think heel and toe needs to be fast, I mentioned it, is just that from you video, the timing of it could be a little earlier. your brake pedal is what controlling the speed of the corner entry, so doing it earlier will not really change anything. It seems to me that just your hand was a little slow, and by that time you are missing the turn in.

It's true that you need to use the full length of the track to optimize your corner speeds. Seems to me that you are not really giving much throttle when you should be in certain sections (perhaps you know your tires can't grip?). Shannonville full track is pretty fun, not so much for us nsxs. A B18 swapped civic hatch can probably keep up with us with ease.

oh by the way, I don't think heel and toe needs to be fast, I mentioned it, is just that from you video, the timing of it could be a little earlier. your brake pedal is what controlling the speed of the corner entry, so doing it earlier will not really change anything. It seems to me that just your hand was a little slow, and by that time you are missing the turn in.

Got ya!.

-MSR

It's true that you need to use the full length of the track to optimize your corner speeds. Seems to me that you are not really giving much throttle when you should be in certain sections (perhaps you know your tires can't grip?). Shannonville full track is pretty fun, not so much for us nsxs. A B18 swapped civic hatch can probably keep up with us with ease.

Yeah I have to push harder little by little.

Tires are good, Star specs.

I am seriusly thinking on not installing the turbo untill I get more seat time at lease at this little track.

I know I will miss the N/A, dont know why, but I have a feeling that I will.

-MSR

Unless it's wet, there is no reason why your inside wheel shouldn't be up on the curbing at the apex.

Watch the Cayman S lines in this video, both he and I are using all the track as well as putting the tires up on the inside and outside curbing. There are exceptions depending on the track (for example turn 9 here at Putnam the fast line is actually 3' off the curbing due to camber changes). But as previous posters have said, you want to use all the track, including the curbing. BTW: If you can get someone to follow you with a camera that also really helps to see where your car is on the track - because I can guarantee that where you think you are is sometimes far from where you actually are.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B2ZGFn8Czao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is a good example of Arron in his S2000 using ALL OF THE TRACK and then some. :)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tpMFLN0vHS8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
but just beware, sometime if you go for too much

DSCN8687.jpg

only at my home track:wink:

I'll echo what others are saying too. Using more of the track... trusting the car to track out completely will give you confidence and carry more speed overall.

IF your suspension is too stiff and unforgiving though I'd watch out when "using" the curbs... :biggrin: Maybe just aim to feel the seam of tarmac and curb with each tire's shoulder if using the whole curb is too jarring.

I know you said you're getting/got new seats... whether they're adjustable or fixed, try a seating position that has you more upright if you have the headroom. Its harder to tell from the angle in this video but with your torso leaned too far back, you arms are extended too far at the 12 o'clock during turning to be comfortable and you'll react less effectively than if your arms have some slack to work.

Back