• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Throttle body coolant bypass

Has anyone done this mod? Sounds simple, makes sense. Just disconnecting the 2 coolant hoses that run thru the throttle body keep the air and throttle body that much cooler and therefore more power. Found this in a search where a guy did this to an Integra and gained about 10 ft.-lbs. ANYONE? This was the site.http://www.ultimateresourceguides.com/content/freemods/acura-nsx-freemods.html

Last edited:
Normally running coolant through a system is intended to make the system run cooler. What makes you think the throttle body would stay cooler by NOT running coolant through it :confused:? Why would Honda engineers design it the way it is knowing full well that cooler air makes for better combustion? So I have to question your premise that it would run cooler.
Happy Motoring!

From what I understand the coolant running through the throttle body is to prevent it from icing up in cold climates. If you live in a relative warm area and don't drive during the winter it might be ok to bypass it and you may or may not pick up a little power.

i used to do this with all my non-nsx honda motors, but that was 10+ years ago. "people said" you could get a few HP by doing so.

any guinea pigs?

The coolant in the throttle body is there to heat up the wax in the fast idle valve as soon as possible and keep it warm to minimize the amount of time spent at high-speed idle. It's purely a fuel-saving feature. There's no way that little line is going to transfer enough heat to the air in the throttle body @ peak torque or HP (topping out around 6 cubic feet per second) to cause a meaningful difference in air density.

Back