• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Throttle Body

Before I start my next question, I want to thank everyone on this board for taking the time to answer all my questions. All the input has helped so much, and I really appreciate it.

Here is the situation. I am getting very close to a purchase of a '96 NSX. I asked the owner to take the car to his local dealer for a inspection. I was determined that the throttle body needs to be replaced. Evidently, the car at one point had a dead battery and was jump started. Something didn't go right, and damaged the electronics in the throttle body. Except for a the fact that this part is on factory backorder from Japan, the owner is paying for the cost of the repair at $1,700.

Should I be concerned that there may be damage to any other electrical components? The service manager working on the car, and at my local dealer both say that there should not be any other concerns. I'm beginning to feel that I am just being way to picky about the cars I'm looking at, to the point that I am seriously considering buying a new NSX.

Also, just for future reference for myself and other owners, what could have gone wrong to cause this problem? I know the battery isn't easy to get to, so did he jump it from the starter or something.

I would like to add that the current owner of the car has been great to deal with and a real nice guy. What ever the out come of this car is between us, it has been a pleasure dealing with him.

Thanks for reading.

Ascot71,

The first thing is regardless of any issue or not, you really need to be comfortable about the purchase. So if you are not, then you need to get comfortable or reconsider.

Taking a look at your specific issue, the car has a "Jump Start" terminal very close to the throttle body. It is located under the plastic cover, just about the starter. It is the + terminal, so you need to ground your - terminal to the engine. Well, sometimes the throttle body looks like a nice candidate for this:(.

The key thing is that the 1996 NSX has "Drive by Wire", which means the throttle is not connected to your foot through a cable, but rather it is electronically controlled by a unit that measures your throttle pedal position and then there is a electrical motor/electronics IN THE THROTTLE BODY, to work the throttle plate.

Actually this arrangement is pretty cool. One thing I noticed on these cars it that the cruise control is incredibly accurate, with very little roaming from one speed to another as you go up and down hills, etc. I have a 1991 with cable and it roams 1-2 mph now and then:)

So, if a big spark was generated by accident during a jump start it is possible that this motor/electronics has been damaged and the throttle body needs to be replaced.

What is the symptom that the car exhibits?? I think the key here is can you actually check the rest of the car completely, even with this bad throttle body? I think we need to understand a little more about the car to give any further advice.

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks for the reply Larry.

The symptoms were that there was a severe hesitation in the throttle response. The service manager says that the rest of the car is in excellent mechanical condition. Once the throttle body is replaced, he will finish the engine performance inspection.

I am really pleased so far with the PPI from Acura. For only $350-400, I was given a ton of info. The only real concern once the throttle body is replaced is the timing belt. I have talked to 3 different mechanics, and all had different opinions. The car has less than 20K, but is over 6 years old. At a quote of $1500-1700 for a new belt, water pump and hoses, I have just been figuring on doing this work as an extra cost to my purchase, no matter what NSX I end up with.

Thanks again,
Tim

OK,

So the process is they will fix it and continue with the evaluation? Sounds like a good plan to me.

mmm.....1996 w/less then 20K. This is a very difficult question to really advise you on. The fact is I will not advise you, but lay out the situation and you decide.

"By the book", change it. Remember the cost of a belt failure is $$$$$$$$$$$$, bent valves, etc.

It is a risk thing. Some folks are willing to take a risk and let the "time" specification slip, some are not. It has to be your decision. If you are the type of individual that wants a "clean slate", no worries, then nothing more needs to be said :)

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks again Larry. My concern was that there was a surge in the electrical system that may have caused damaged to other electronic systems that may not show up until I am half way to Vegas on my first road trip or something. Does the EFI or ignition system have a "limp mode" if they start to go out, or will they just quite? Sounds like I have some time to think about it, as a nation wide search did not find a throttle body, and the factory has not given a date for the back order.

As for the belts, I appreciate your thoughts. But like I said, I was figuring on doing them anyway, unless I end up with a new one of course. I have an appointment Wedensday to drive a '99 they have and talk more about an '03.

Have a good weekend,

Tim

There is some sort of limp mode, but I am not 100% sure about it.

Maybe you are using the wrong source for the throttle body:)

I recommend in addition to a search for the new one, have the dealer check at places like ERZ motors in NYC for a used one.

Yes, the dealer may complain about warranty, etc. But it is a viable option, it would take as long as the mailman to get you one. I am sure there are enough 1995-up NSX's that have been wrecked, as sad as that may sound, that you will find a used one.

I would not consider this a typical "wear" item, it would not likely be damaged in a wreck, sans a fire, so one out of wreck would be fine IMO.

Good Luck, HTH
LarryB

Back