• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ticking (clicking) rear-Only low speeds when turning???

I have read over many threads and I am trying to figure out where the clicking is coming from??? I jacked up the car twice and cannot figure out where it stems from. I have checked the brake pads and rotors (look good). I checked the CV joints on both sides, no leaks or cracks. I shook the wheels, no play? I can only hear the clicking when I am under 20MPH and listen closely. The sound is like I have a rock in the tire (from inside the car). Outside with the windows rolled down I cannot hear a clicking. The sound only comes when I move the steering wheel to a side, even with a slight nudge on the wheel. It is definitely coming from the rear. When I am coasting in neutral I can hear it better than when I am in gear????

Does anybody have any idea????? Thanks

Sounds like a wheel bearing that is just starting to go.

^ +1. I'm assuming the clicking only happens when you turn in one direction?

The defective bearing is usually the wheel on the opposite side of the turn. So, if it happens when you turn right, its probably the bearing on the left side.

I had this happen on one car where the bearing developed a flat spot. There was plenty of grease and no detectable play when shaking the tire, but it made a very loud rat-tat-tat sound in turns.

This also happened on my NSX when it was 3 years old and had about 20kmi. Again, plenty of grease, etc, but it "groaned" on hard left turns. New bearing - problem gone (and it was fixed under warranty:biggrin:).

Last edited:
The clicking happens driving straight and both turns. I can only hear it when driving at slow speeds, and I can hear it more when I give the steering wheel a little nudge to either side???? I am thinking it goes away at higher speeds because the wheels are rotating faster. It is wierd, sometimes it is there and sometimes not??? I am thinking maybe it is the mid shaft bearing.

I agree - if it clicks for straight and both turns, its not likely a wheel bearing.

Your thoughts about a mid shaft bearing may be on the right track.

My car does the same thing - click click click like a pebble in the rear tire tread at slow speeds when turning. Only lasts a few seconds then goes away, only noticeable while turning. I thought maybe it was CV joints, but my skilled NSX mechanic said no, although he couldn't positively ID the problem. I even had him check it on two different occasions. I have had this problem for maybe two years now, but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. No other symptoms.

Subscribing to this thread.

My car does the same thing - click click click like a pebble in the rear tire tread at slow speeds when turning. Only lasts a few seconds then goes away, only noticeable while turning. I thought maybe it was CV joints, but my skilled NSX mechanic said no, although he couldn't positively ID the problem. I even had him check it on two different occasions. I have had this problem for maybe two years now, but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. No other symptoms.

Subscribing to this thread.

Sounds like the same problem.

I was going to suggest something stuck in the tires tread but I guess you both checked that already right?

I have seen this on more than one car, could be the axle splines moving around , I have removed the shaft and applied never seize, then re-torqued the axle nuts , alternatively you could remove the nut and try spraying some lube in there then re-torquing.

I was going to suggest something stuck in the tires tread but I guess you both checked that already right?

It's not a pebble in the tire tread. I have changed tires I think since I started noticing this problem. I was thinking maybe it was related to the oversize rear tires I installed, but as I thought about I decided that didn't have anything to do with it.

Also during this period I have had an automatic transmission rebuild. I thought maybe in the process of doing that it would affect or correct the problem, but no change. Still puzzling this one out, but not having any real problems...

Last edited:
Hi,

removing rear brake pads OEM shims and/or rear caliper's pad's spring (removed or not apllying any force) can also do sounds like you are describing, being them straight and turning both left and right.

what you guys say?

Nuno

jack the car up...take the e-brake off, spin each tire freely...listen to see which wheel is making the noise...if you find that it's making the same noise, then take that tire off, dismount the tire from the rim and see if there's an object inside the tire...it happened to me. tire guy left cromie inside the tire...

Hi,

well... i have a slight different problem:

a strong rattle comes from:
- rear left wheel area when i turn right (i hear it)
- rear right wheel area when i turn left (my wife hears it)
- rear left wheel when road make suspension travel up and down fast (i hear it)

this happens since i refreshed and installed my brakes - rebuilt calipers, new rotors, new pads.

I used:

- RB 2 piece rotors in 97+ sizes front and back
- Project mu level 900i front and rear
- titanium shims in front pads
- no shims in rear pads
- kept all caliper and bracket's springs

what gives??

i think that must be something shims/springs related.

Any ideas??

Nuno

Update: My ticking has finally gotten worse. Ticks quite a bit up to 50mph or more now when on the throttle; when off the throttle it goes quiet. Ticks more and louder at low or high speeds now. Goes quiet when you unload the left rear suspension, when you load it again the ticking comes right back. I am thinking it is a left rear CV joint that is soon to fail. Need to get the car in to have it looked at ASAP.

I will post updates as things go along.

Last edited:
This could be the lower sway bar links. I had a similar problem with mines coming loose on the bracket. When I'm reversing or, just driving in first gear trough a parking lot you can hear it clicking. I just tighten the linkage bolts and it's all good now. I guess after awhile all NSX have had this issue. Hope this helps.

RK..

Could be a buildup of rust/scale between the Hub & Disc bell/hat.

had a similar issure with the new R35 GTR after brakes had been replaced. no matter what we did it still had the sound of a rock floating around somewhere.

wire brushed hubs & hats to make clean & a small smear of grease between the Hub & rotor hat...Noise gone. since found out this is a common problem on R35's anyway.

This could be the lower sway bar links.

RK..

+1

Especially if you recently changed the rear coilovers. It is very important that the bolt be held in place with an allen wrench at the end and nut torqued by hand. Some mechanics don't know this and use air tools to torque down the nut on this shaft that goes through the lower shock. The result of this is internal hemorrhage of the link's ball joint and the resulting clicking noise.

I strongly recommend ditching the OEM bar end links and getting these from Science Of Speed...... You can find them here.

endlinks_450.jpg

Dropped the NSX at Curry's in Gainesville, Virginia. My instructions were to check the left rear tire, wheel bearing, and CV joint - maybe I should call them back and add "check lower sway bar links" to the check list.

One nice thing about Curry's is that they are near my house and gave me a ride home!

Will see how the repair goes. Meanwhile, I have to ride the Gold Wing to work tonight. Brrr.

Last edited:
check your engine mounts as well guys before resorting to more in-depth measures.

i had a similar occurence (sounded exactly like what UhuZ describes) which the hack that messed it up was blaming on axle nuts but turned out to be completely loose engine mounts allowing the engine assembly to move producing clicking sounds while turning.

Curry's informs me that they are 100% sure that it is a left rear CV joint. They also inform me that there are none available in the US apparently, and that they will have to order it, so I am looking at weeks for delivery and installation. This is going to suck; either I ride the Gold Wing for a month (brrr) or rent a car.

I checked myself with DelRay Acura and a couple of other places, and the story is the same. I am going to cast around a little but I am probably going to end up just ordering it and waiting. I am also going to need a couple of CV joint kits.

Last edited:
Why not give some of the specialty vendors like Science of Speed, Dali etc.. a call? It's very possible they might have an axle lying around for you. Check the junkyard database too.

I spent part of the morning calling around. Part of the difficulty is that the axle shaft is different for an automatic than a manual car, or so I am told. Which makes the amount of available, used, usable axle shafts miniscule to none. I don't think there are any new left-side axle shafts available for manual cars either.

Last edited:
Back