• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tie rod ends bad already?

My alignment guy said there is some play in my front wheels and that he couldn't get a perfect alignment. He said my inner tie rod ends were bad. So we ordered some from Acura. But the car only has 20K miles on it, isn't that premature? Do these go bad often on the NSX? Is his diagnosis faulty? Fairly experienced guy, alignments are their specialty.

to be expected with a track car and R comps....In your case i'm not terribly surprised.

Really? I've never even ran R comps and I don't even track that often. OK thanks so I guess the diagnosis isn't crazy off. Should I start stocking some of these parts since they are going to be discontinued? Or are they shared with other Hondas?

They are NSX specific, but if there discontinued we'd start producing them.
It isn't that common that the wear out not any more than any other car.

Possible your boot was damaged prior (ether ripped or trough heat)

Boot looked good. So I hope he is right with his diagnosis. There definitely seemed like there was some small play in the wheels. If you held one, and wiggled the other, you could definitely toe in the tire a few degrees before the other wheel turned as well. He said its either the tie rod end or the steering rack and he didn't think it was the steering rack. So I hope he is right otherwise I just wasted $200 plus installation.

$200 :eek:
They are pricey but i don't recall them being that expensive.

Two different dealers, one quoted me $130 each and another $70 each. Weird... I hope I got the right ones. They had to ship them from CA, then there was some "ring" that was needed. Whatever that is... Came to $200. Relatively speaking, that's a cheap nsx part.

Yea, I replaced mine last summer. I had a slight dead zone in the wheel at center. I bought aftermarket versions but they did the job. My recommendation is to replace those as a first step in diagnosing any steering play problem.

I think I paid 20 dollars a side for deeza versions and installed them myself.

Updated

We are talking about the inner tie rod ends right? Those are the ones that are famous for going bad...

Last edited:
The aftermarket ones work fine, but lack the "ring" which is a snap ring or collar to keep the inner end from backing out of the rack as you screw the rod into the outer end as you'd align the car. I've only had that happen once when they were brand new, never since. You just have to make sure the inner side is very snug in the rack ends.

Got OEM, have rings... Thanks guys.

Did you have any symptoms of the bad rod ends while driving?

Just asking as I've been chasing a steering shimmy for a couple of months now. My TRE's are fairly new as well, I'm wondering if I should take a closer look at them (can't feel/see any free-play).

That's from tracking the NSX, lol

- - - Updated - - -

When you track you car everything wear out 5x faster :tongue:

Back