• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tilton Triple Carbon Fiber Clutch

Does anyone have one of these installed on their NSX? I heard a long time ago that they are a bit of an on/off switch but I am not sure of the source to verify the opinion. If you have some actual experience with this clutch, I would real appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,

Lee

Shad from Driving Ambition is a good source for this info. AFAIK, Tilton is no longer nor willing to make this part and its not an on-off like most believe. Its very streetable and if you have one, it may be the last clutch you would ever need. This is the best clutch for the NSX IMO but its pricey.

I spoke to the Tilton guys at the last PRI show as they have this clutch for other cars and they said its very streetable and lasts a long time. I wish they still make them.

I have a source for the Tilton triple cerametallic but I want the carbon-carbon so now I can only have the Exedy carbon from SOS.

Is there a reason you are looking for this clutch? Unless you are making some huge power and just want the Tilton, there are very good clutches available that should handle whatever you are planning on doing to it.

I have a twin carbon carbon from RPS, but I believe it is a one off at this point. New never used(or installed), but I think I may get the new twin disc that RPS makes. The new one works with the stock slave cylinder and the twin CC uses a nice hydraulic slave that is the same basic idea of the Tilton 600 series hydraulic slave system.

Last edited:
engagement is on and off only at lower rpms.

you need to adjust your driving style my slipping the clutch at a higher rpm then usual on the stock friction material.

reverse is tricky but takes about a week to get used to it.

as time passes and the friction material wears off, the off and on engagement will go away to some extent... either that or you get used to it.

i would stick with something more mild if your not making uber HP

happy motoring.

Rob :smile:

Thank you all for the feedback. The reason that I am asking is that it is getting close to the time for a clutch change and I am thinking about trying to make the engine freer revving. I have been driving the NSX on the track for quite a few years now and have graduated to a formula mazda as my main track car. However, I will still probably due 2-3 track days a year in the NSX and I am getting more accustom to the free revving nature of the very lightweight flywheel in the formula mazda. So the current main purpose of my thought is to lighten the flywheel and get it feeling a bit more like my track car. Additionally, I am toying with the idea of forced induction in the future and I would like to be prepared for it if I am going to replace the clutch. Again, the forced induction issue is secondary as I am not sure when or if it will happen. Because the majority of the miles in the NSX will be on the street, I do want something streetable so complete on/off clutches or those requiring tremendous peddle pressure are not the products that I am interested in. I hope this helps with the feedback.

Lee

Last edited:
The Tilton 3-carbon is the best clutch by far. Easy pedal pressure, as light or lighter than stock. The on/off characteristic is due to the REALLY light flywheel, which is only a minor issue in stop and go traffic, but does take some getting used to. The benefit though is quick revs as you mentioned. Also, the clutch engages in the first inch of travel from a fully pressed clutch pedal, opposite of a stock or any other clutch where engaement occurs in the last inch or so of a fully depressed pedal. The light pedal pressure makes it very easy (ie use big toe) to modulate so slipping the clutch on an uphill at a red light is easily done. The clutch has withstood 850 rwhp without any issues, although I admit I don't push the car all that hard like launching the car from 5000 rpm. After driving a friend's NSX with an Exedy clutch, my left leg was so pumped up from the crazy pedal pressure, I literally could not drive my own car for 10 minutes. Back in 2004, I worked with Rob Smith on a 3 carbon plate RPS clutch which came to a dead end because of space restrictions. After further development, the single disc was introduced and now the two plate looks promising. If you are ever in Las Vegas, you're welcome to try the car out.

Best Regards,

Danny

Danny,

I would love to take you up on your offer! I will check with Mark Johnson but according to his website, he has the clutches in stock. If I can still get one, I might fly out just for the test drive.

I will post to this thread about availablility of the clutch.

Lee

I checked with Mark Johnson and these are still available.

Back