• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Time for rebuild, options and opinions?

Hello all,

I've took my engine apart because I've spun 2 bearings due to lack of baffle on track, got too excited at the corners while testing the set up, forgot the non baffled tank and oil starved it...

And some background on the car, it's 3.0L, APX Turbo, 12psi, methed, engine was rebuilt for lower comp, arp all bolts/studs by last owner cuz he blew a ring. Current setup running 91/ Canadian 94 pushes 509whp, 357tq, fairly flat across the board after full boost, I think I am good on power and response is enough at the track...

Now, the engine is already bored to near max of factory spec 90.48mm / max 90.5mm, but there's a very slight taper on the walls, so I can't really bore it again. Heads are ok, stock heads, gonna put LMAs in as there's some lifter noise.... So I'm planning to go SOS 3.5L shortblock. (Since I'll have to resleeve the 3.0L, Acura have no sleeves available, if I sleeve and rebore, hone, it'll end up to about similar price to let SOS build...) and I'll be adding baffles, accusump, high vol oil pump, and main caps.

Here's the dilemma:

Should I keep FI and up the boost but will I lose even more response? or shall I go NA ITB and sell the turbo kit?

Should I go with Darton sleeves while at it?

And anyone running SOS 3.5L engines FI or Turbo? How is it? Any problems?

Thank You

Kevin

Bummer on the baffle, or lack thereof. It's a good reminder for other folks.

Doesn't the 3.5L require a new custom crank?

You won't get anywhere near 500wHP with an ITB setup even under high compression with race gas. You might bet to 400wHP or so. Perhaps others have tried on e85 to get more. Please share here.

I prefer Benson sleeves primarily due to turnaround time and service. Benson is quite responsive to my email questions and he's earned my business.

Yes, there are a few guys running the SOS 3.5L and some with their TT kit.

Personally speaking, i'm not that good of a track driver so I much prefer throttle response over laggy boost. JIMHO

That blows. So a 50$ baffle costed you a whole new engine? I can relate. A cheap ass head gasket blowing costing me the money I was gonna buy a boat with.:rolleyes:
This is why I am stopping at 450 hp.

Have you considered a J-swap? It may be a better option than another C-series rebuild for your needs.

I think there have already been turbo J-series swaps here, and its supposedly a lot cheaper than rebuilding the C-series (again).

Have you considered a J-swap? It may be a better option than another C-series rebuild for your needs.

I think there have already been turbo J-series swaps here, and its supposedly a lot cheaper than rebuilding the C-series (again).

agree especially if you want to track the car a lot with slicks

I understand about the lack of power of NA build, but if getting to 450 should be good, but with this I'll have to get quite a few more parts for cams, head work, itb, different injectors, headers, exhaust etc. And I don't know how forgiving is NA tolerances going to be, I can't run race fuel here or e85, as it's not readily available here or on the way to track.

And another thing I think is the loudness... Might be a bit too much since I usually drive with my wife or drive it to work at 6am or have to drive 6 hours to track... And my wife might hate me even more lol. The APX set up is fairly quiet, until the wastegate.... But I'd want to weld the dump back to the exhaust...

J swap... Yes and no... Just have to build everything up also from blank, and it's hard to find a J32 or 35 here without them charging an arm or leg from the start. With C at least I know mostly what I'm working with and C is still the heart of the NSX to me, despite turboing it, I'd like to keep the C in there.

However, down the line I might do a J swap in the Nb miata lol

I might be a little biased on turbo... But I think I'll try my friend's itb NSX if the weathe gets better...

BTW I wasn't running slicks, I'm just on Dunlop Direzza Z2... But on 235 and 275 lol...

Not anymore Regan, it's in my car and we're getting ready for tuning.

[MENTION=4034]Coz[/MENTION] is selling his brand new, fully built J motor IIRC

Back