• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Timing Belt and Water Pump Issues by Year?

Just a note on TB/WP service prices - they vary greatly. A local dealer wanted $2,000 in Mar 2007. Even worse, it was $1700 for the TB/WP, plus $300 extra to adjust the valves. Well, everything is apart for the TB/WP job, so the valve adjust takes less than 1/2 hour and requires zero extra parts. I didn't even respond - if they wanted to rip me off to begin with, no sense bargaining with them.

So, depending on who you have do the job, your price may vary. Of course if you get the job done by a place that doesn't do it correctly, then you can replace a possible TB failure with belts that are off a tooth (or more) or other potential problems. You can do a search on Prime for those horror stories.

Price is not always a good indicator - just choose the mechanic carefully. Seek recommmendations from others on Prime.

PS: After the above price quote, I did the job myself & was glad I did. As an engineer, I'm too fussy and want every bolt back to specified torque, every wiring harness and connector back in its original place, etc, etc. (my wife regularly warns others about engineers)

Last edited:
I hate to disappoint all those who are waiting for me to report that my engine has destroyed itself by breaking its timing belt, but I grounded my NSX pending TB/WP change. I actually did this quite a while back. 16 years on a timing belt. Don't think I'll be the crash test dummy on that deal. However, I bet there are quite a few NSX's running around with old, high time belts owned by people who wouldn't know a timing belt from a belt of scotch. My initial question still remains. Why does the manufacturer not make the change mandatory rather than recommended? Maybe I am just confused. I still want to conduct destructive tests on my Integra belt and my NSX belt when it is removed. Totally unscientific, I know, but curiosity prevails. And, yes, I will, in all likelihood prevail on Larry B. for this work. After I flatbed it up there.

I hate to disappoint all those who are waiting for me to report that my engine has destroyed itself by breaking its timing belt, but I grounded my NSX pending TB/WP change. I actually did this quite a while back. 16 years on a timing belt. Don't think I'll be the crash test dummy on that deal. However, I bet there are quite a few NSX's running around with old, high time belts owned by people who wouldn't know a timing belt from a belt of scotch. My initial question still remains. Why does the manufacturer not make the change mandatory rather than recommended? Maybe I am just confused. I still want to conduct destructive tests on my Integra belt and my NSX belt when it is removed. Totally unscientific, I know, but curiosity prevails. And, yes, I will, in all likelihood prevail on Larry B. for this work. After I flatbed it up there.

Its pretty hard for a manufacturer to make a replacement TB mandatory when the warranty expires before the service is due. Besides, they stand to make a great deal of money rebuilding your engine if it breaks so why would they care? I think that 90% of the NSX owners are pretty knowledgeable about the need to replace it on time.

Last edited:

first of all nobody wants to see your engine blown, now to answer your question, you are hung up on recommend or required,lets get real if you dont change your t/b its not the end, just expensive!!! as far as testing the belt,when an eng. starts the crankshaft is the driving force,the camshaft is the driven ,it is this constant stress and relief (or whipping action)that causes these belts or chains to fail (not excluding a water pump failure) so just dont pull it apart ,you want to create the same job it does just increase the load factor , :wink:

Has anyone made a thread with reputable mechanics or repair facilities for the NSX Prime?

Not that I am aware of.

Post up a new thread in the appropriate local forum and ask for recommendations,

Back