• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Timing Belt Shields, new heavy duty design! GB

Most of us are driving our cars, wondering how old the balancer is, should it be replaced, many mechanics say it is very rare they come apart so why bother replacing it. It is rare they come apart, but if it is your car, ouch, it's a gigantic bill!!

I just came up with a simple shield that will bolt over the plastic cover on the bottom end, behind the harmonic balancer. It is secured in place with a single bolt and indexes off the stock cover, no need to do any mods for the install. Pull the balancer, bolt the shield in place, balancer back on and you just installed an $8000 insurance policy. The shield is strong enough that if your balancer ever comes apart, the floating steel disc will bang against it and keep it away from your timing belt. It should be strong enough to take quite a bit of abuse, and there will be one hell of a racket, telling your to get the car checked out. Worst case should be needing to replace the shield and the lower plastic cover!

I am finishing the third generation of this part. Folks have been asking for a Heavy Duty version with no lightening holes and after running the numbers I can make the cheaper but not putting holes in the ring too. New price $85!
These will be back from the plater in about 2 weeks and I will post pics when they are done! Same durable nickel plating, stainless fasteners, just heavier!

I am almost out of the light weight version, $100, pictured here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83460
PM me if you want one of the light ones...

I am doing a group by with free US shipping on pre-paid orders for the Heavy Duty Timing belt shields, $85! PM if you want to combine shipping for a number of these and they will be $80 each!

Thanks, Dave

Attachments

• NSX timing belt shield, 05-05-2009.jpg
    NSX timing belt shield, 05-05-2009.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 309
This shield seems like a good idea.

I think there's something to be said about NOT replacing the balancer just "for fun".

My grandfather used to be the mechanic for a hydroplane race team. One time the driver insisted that they replace the old balancer with a shiny new one just because it wasn't old. Well halfway through the first race with the new one on there it shattered into 3 pieces. One went through the top of the boat and another went through the bottom of the boat. Not a fun day for them (I was there). The boat was halfway underwater by the time they got the crane hooked to it.

Of course now you have me wondering if mine has ever been replaced.

Hi Dave,

I saw this and spread the word on the UK site, NSXCB and already have 6 interested members within a couple of hours.

Would you be interested in doing a run of these for the UK members if I have 10 committed buyers?

Thanks in advance

regards, Paul

Hi Dave,

I saw this and spread the word on the UK site, NSXCB and already have 6 interested members within a couple of hours.

Would you be interested in doing a run of these for the UK members if I have 10 committed buyers?

Thanks in advance

regards, Paul

Paul,
Put your group together, I can look at cost for international shipping to send the whole batch to you.

Once you have the total number, PM me.

Dave

This shield seems like a good idea.

I think there's something to be said about NOT replacing the balancer just "for fun".

My grandfather used to be the mechanic for a hydroplane race team. One time the driver insisted that they replace the old balancer with a shiny new one just because it wasn't old. Well halfway through the first race with the new one on there it shattered into 3 pieces. One went through the top of the boat and another went through the bottom of the boat. Not a fun day for them (I was there). The boat was halfway underwater by the time they got the crane hooked to it.

Of course now you have me wondering if mine has ever been replaced.
Sounds like a shield is the way to go for you and your grandfather...to bad I wasn't making one back then:rolleyes:

1. Senninha (10 parts to the UK)
2.?

Dave,

What is the difference between the heavy duty one and the lighter ones?

Is there any benefit of one over the other more besides weight?

Dave,

What is the difference between the heavy duty one and the lighter ones?

Is there any benefit of one over the other more besides weight?

The Heavy Duty shield will not have the holes in it, should be able to take more abuse when the damper comes apart. This will give one more time to figure out 'What is that racket!?!?!'

You can get a light one today, the Heavy Duty ones are a couple of weeks out.

Heavy Duty will be less money, how often do you see that?

Does the balancer come off in a clutch replacement?

I'm wondering if I can save labor costs by having a shield put on at the same time as a new clutch.

Does the balancer come off in a clutch replacement?

I'm wondering if I can save labor costs by having a shield put on at the same time as a new clutch.

It's on the opposite end of the motor so it does not come off with a clutch job. I would guess the mechanic would do it at the same time for few $, with what it cost for a clutch job!

This would be a free install if doing a timing belt, everything is off already.

1. Senninha (10 parts to the UK)
2.NSXROC
3.SSMS2000

Last edited:
Not hard to do.

Remove the A/C and alternator drive belts.
Remove the crank bolt.
Slide damper off crank shift, this is a snug slip fit, no tool needed.
remove 2 bolts from the TB cover.
Install Timing belt shield with the 2 supplied bolts.
Install damper, torque to spec.
Install A/C and alternator drive belts, tension to spec.

You will need to have access to the crank damper holder to re-torque the crank bolt.

Even laying on your back with the car on jack stands it should not take much over an hour, pulling the right rear tire will help if you are doing this on jack stands.

I'll take a Version 2 lightweight version that you have in stock. P.M. sent for billing

Thanks, Joseph

Last edited:
I'll take a Version 2 lightweight version that you have in stalk. P.M. sent for billing

Thanks, Joseph

Thanks,
PM sent, PayPal received, will ship Light weight version tomorrow!

Dave

Sorry,
This has been slow, parts are finally back from the plater and ready to ship. PM sent to the couple of you that wanted to get in on the GB. Thanks.

I have few extra from this run. Please PM if you are interested in getting one.

Dave

Thanks to those who got on board with this GB. All are shipped.

Here is a pic of the new HD version! Still have a few at the intro price of $85 and one of the light weight ones $100.

PM if interested,
Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• NSX timing belt damper shield, HD 2009.jpg
    NSX timing belt damper shield, HD 2009.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Dave, I got one of the 1st ones. How does this improve on the design? a.k.a - Why the hell should I buy your new one. :tongue:

Juice,
Only reason to buy another one would be because you sold your old one with your last NSX!!!:biggrin:

Latest version is little heavier duty because there are not holes in it, folks thought the lightweight did not look robust enough...plus no holes means I can make them less expensive:wink:

Dave

Update:
I am out of the lightweight shields for about 2 weeks, more in the pipeline...will post when back from the plater.

There are 2 left in stock, of the HD shields if any one needs to get one. More in the next batch too.

Thanks for the support!

Dave

Just rec'd mine in the mail. Shipped the same day as order. With the high RPM's, every NSX should have one. Best insurance for your engine.
Spend $100.00 vs. $10,000+ (not including install labor $$$)

Thanks again Dave.

Just rec'd mine in the mail. Shipped the same day as order. With the high RPM's, every NSX should have one. Best insurance for your engine.
Spend $100.00 vs. $10,000+ (not including install labor $$$)

Thanks again Dave.

Thanks for the plug:wink:

Only one HD left from the batch.

More on the way!

Dave

Back