• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

timing Belt timeframe

My 05 had a timing belt chang in June 2014 at 51K It now has 65K and of course been 9 years. What experience have you guy had with timing belt issues. Think for safty sake i should just get it done.

You can very probably get by for another year, and it might last another 20 years, but the prudent move would be to change it after 10 years of normal driving like KAZ recommends in his post 7-15-12 "In UK for all Honda cars including NSX registered on or after July 1998, it’s every 8 years or 72K miles whichever comes first.. III just follow the JDM custom of every 60K miiles or 10 years whiichever comes first on my NSX"

This topic was discussed fairly recently.

A number of owner's that are presumably not using their car on the track are well past any of the versions of the recommended timing belt service intervals. I have never seen a report of a complete belt failure. I have seen reports of the timing belt hopping a tooth or two that have been attributed to the belt getting old. However, hopping a tooth can also be initiated by a botched downshift causing resulting in the engine exceeding redline. Being out a tooth or two can also be caused by incorrectly installed timing belts where the initial belt tension was not set properly.

That said, you should do whatever you feel comfortable with and reflects the use of your car.

At that rate you and I should change the belt every 20 years or upon sale of the car...which ever comes first.

I just changed a 17 year old belt and the stamped lettering hadn't even worn off and quite readable.

Back