• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

tire advice for 2001-2005 oem setup on 1993

I have a 1993 garage queen that came with oem 02 rims and tires, I think I am on borrowed time with the tires and want to replace all four....

no tracking and just regular driving (in an nsx lol) and would like as close to the oem setup it came with, would love to here some suggestions please as the car is about to come out of hibernation here in New York once these storms stop coming weekly.......

I have searched the inventory at tire rack as well as Costco when I enter 2004 Acura nsx to get appropriate size for my 1993

thanks for time

I have a 1993 garage queen that came with oem 02 rims and tires, I think I am on borrowed time with the tires and want to replace all four....

no tracking and just regular driving (in an nsx lol) and would like as close to the oem setup it came with, would love to here some suggestions please as the car is about to come out of hibernation here in New York once these storms stop coming weekly.......

I have searched the inventory at tire rack as well as Costco when I enter 2004 Acura nsx to get appropriate size for my 1993

thanks for time

I'm running 215/45/R17 and 255/45/R17 Yokohama S-Drives on my set. They are good street tires, and strictly OK track tires. If you'd like track tires, I think Advan AD08-R's are available in those sizes as well.

I'm running 215/45/R17 and 255/45/R17 Yokohama S-Drives on my set.

Are you sure they're not 215/40 and 255/40? Here is the chart from the WIKI. I am surprised you're not getting any rubbing esp. if you are lowered since the 45 series tire is 3.4% taller than the factory spec'd 40 series.

View attachment 152000

@docnsx01 the correct 17 inch sizing is listed in the chart. I have the AD08R tire and while great in the dry, you pay a price with higher noise levels on the highway. If you are not going to track your car a lot I'd look at the Pirelli P Zero Nero GT. Per Tire Rack's web site the tire has good reviews and good ratings in dry and wet conditions as well as wear and noise. Cheaper than the AD08R too, however I don't think Tire Rack sells the AD08R in a 215/40R17 any more, however other retailers might.

One note with Tire Rack, sometime you need to search by size verses automobile make. You will note that the Pirellis don't show up as an option if you choose by automobile make. The reason is due to the speed rating difference in the two Pirelli sizes. The 215/40 has a W speed rating (up to 168mph), and the 255/40 has a Y speed rating of 186+mph. Unlikely you will be approaching either limit so not really an issue. If you choose the Pirellis you will need to add them separately to your cart.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited:
FWIW I have a /94 with OEM 16/17 wheels. In the almost 9 years I have owned the car I have religiously stuck with the old RE010s for OEM feel/handling. The roads here in MI have become so awful that the car was becoming unpleasant to drive so I switched to Continental ExtremeContact Sports -- 205/45 front and 245/40 rear. I noticed an immediate major improvement in ride. I thought that given the Continentals were developed so many years after the RE010s they would handle as well or nearly as well as the Bridgestones. Such is not the case. The RE010s were much better in the handling department than the Contis. I know, different classes of tires but just a shout to anyone who might be considering going from Tire Rack's extreme performance summer tire category to the next category down, so to speak, the difference in handling can be very noticeable. I will not push the car on the Contis the way I did sometimes on the RE010s which inspired huge confidence despite being a senior citizen in terms of design. I have a set of 02+ OEM wheels and I'm thinking about getting a set of extreme performance tires -- not too many choices out there. Anyone here have any experience with the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec? They have OEM sizes for 17/17 setup but their test indicates plenty of noise and not greatest in wet. Come to think of it the RE010s despite the fact that at 5-6,000 miles it was all over for the rears, were pretty good -- found them to be good in the wet and guessing no louder than the Dunlops. Any input greatly appreciated as ideally I would like to have two sets of wheels/tires I can toggle between. Tooling around in town - Contis / spirited drives or track events -- RE010s or something similar.Best,Jeff

FWIW I have a /94 with OEM 16/17 wheels. In the almost 9 years I have owned the car I have religiously stuck with the old RE010s for OEM feel/handling. The roads here in MI have become so awful that the car was becoming unpleasant to drive so I switched to Continental ExtremeContact Sports -- 205/45 front and 245/40 rear. I noticed an immediate major improvement in ride. I thought that given the Continentals were developed so many years after the RE010s they would handle as well or nearly as well as the Bridgestones. Such is not the case. The RE010s were much better in the handling department than the Contis. I know, different classes of tires but just a shout to anyone who might be considering going from Tire Rack's extreme performance summer tire category to the next category down, so to speak, the difference in handling can be very noticeable. I will not push the car on the Contis the way I did sometimes on the RE010s which inspired huge confidence despite being a senior citizen in terms of design. I have a set of 02+ OEM wheels and I'm thinking about getting a set of extreme performance tires -- not too many choices out there. Anyone here have any experience with the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec? They have OEM sizes for 17/17 setup but their test indicates plenty of noise and not greatest in wet. Come to think of it the RE010s despite the fact that at 5-6,000 miles it was all over for the rears, were pretty good -- found them to be good in the wet and guessing no louder than the Dunlops. Any input greatly appreciated as ideally I would like to have two sets of wheels/tires I can toggle between. Tooling around in town - Contis / spirited drives or track events -- RE010s or something similar.Best,Jeff

I've only had Dunlop ZII Star Specs since getting my car, so I can't really say how they compare to others. I do like them though, but tread wear is nothing to brag about. The rears last about 5K. Can't comment a whole lot on wet performance as I have only been caught out in the rain a couple of times. They seemed competent enough. Can't comment on track performance either. They do get a bit noisy when worn. I wouldn't mind trying something else at some point, but front and rears seem to never need replacement at the same time, and I don't want to use two different brands. There aren't many choices available in stock 17" sizes. I just got another set of ZII's as I wasn't sure when the ZIII's would be out. Looks like Tire Rack has them now, so I probably should have waited.:frown:

I just got a fresh set of the old ZII's on sale from TR.....as a all around three season tire in NE Pa I likey...

Thanks for weighing in Faron and Doc. I'll likely pull the trigger on the ZIIs on sale. While I really like the improvement in ride offered by the Contis, they degrade the handling which as we all know is the true essence of this car. I intend to have the best of both worlds with two sets of tires and wheels. Naturally this will lead to all manner of other things.............floor jack, power impact wrench (or whatever it is properly called), torque wrench, Bilsteins on lower perch, etc., etc. Or I can just swing by SCA037's place and use his lift and tools -- Hello Brian -- LOL.Best,Jeff

Thanks for weighing in Faron and Doc. I'll likely pull the trigger on the ZIIs on sale. While I really like the improvement in ride offered by the Contis, they degrade the handling which as we all know is the true essence of this car. I intend to have the best of both worlds with two sets of tires and wheels. Naturally this will lead to all manner of other things.............floor jack, power impact wrench (or whatever it is properly called), torque wrench, Bilsteins on lower perch, etc., etc. Or I can just swing by SCA037's place and use his lift and tools -- Hello Brian -- LOL.Best,Jeff
Once Ryan's car is off the lift, the possibilities are endless ;-P

I think I am gonna go with p zero Nero seem to be the newest avail and does everything well not anything stupendous and for the limited mileage I utilize might be the smart way to go

Back