• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tire Cover

I have my track wheels/tires stacked in my car port and Ive seen a fitted cover you can use to disguise and hide the tires. Anyone know where I could find something like that?

Thanks
Armando

Re: tire cover

NSX-Ster said:
An economical solution is to use a cylinder shape grill cover. I know it works on 18's.

Thats a great idea, I ve also seen some covers that have logos on them and really look sharp.

Re: Re: tire cover

MiamieNeSeX said:
Thats a great idea, I ve also seen some covers that have logos on them and really look sharp.

Yeah, those are cool. I've never been able to find those for sale. That's what prompted the grill cover.

Storage Suggestion

Why not just stack the tires on some 2x4's and wrap the cylinder in black visqueen (plastic)?

Re: Storage Suggestion

coolnsx said:
Why not just stack the tires on some 2x4's and wrap the cylinder in black visqueen (plastic)?

Cause every time the wife walks by them she reminds me it looks like crap and then asks why I need so many tires. So out of sight out of mind.

Armando

Then cover the visqueened stack with plastic tablecloths. You can get all colors, how about Christmas and change with the seasons :D

MiamieNeSeX said:
I have my track wheels/tires stacked in my car port and Ive seen a fitted cover you can use to disguise and hide the tires. Anyone know where I could find something like that?

Thanks
Armando

See if you can get an upholstery shop that makes boat covers sew something together for you. Maybe they could put a NSX logo on it too. I have the same problem here. I have three sets of wheels for the NSX and two for the BMW.

Here is a proposal .........

If there is enough demand (we need at least a minimum of 12), I can manufacture a universal tire cover for a set of say 4 x 18" wheels/tires mounted using a heavier Denier weight than the new silver car cover fabric that we just introduced - and it will blend nicely with your gray garage floors too ..... ;)

The tire cover will wrap around the tires and be secured by two or three velcro straps so it can be adjusted to tire sizes, especially if you also have different wheeel sizes. We might also have a pull strap.

To proceed with this proposal, I will need:

(a) Benchmark measurements in height and diameter of a 18" x10" wheel with mounted tires (wheels will add to the height of the stacked tires). Then I can multiply that by 4 and decide how much fabric is needed on "the average" - velcro can adjust smaller or latrger wheel/tire combos.

(b) A few pictures of wheels/tires stacked vertically and/or horizontally (such as in the trailer) - the shop likes to see things in pictures makes less guessing. Measurements of the stacked tires would help to validate (a) above.

You can e-mail them to me at [email protected].

HTH

I have heard that tires can be flat spotted if they are stored in an upright postion on a hard surface. Is this true?

steveny said:
I have heard that tires can be flat spotted if they are stored in an upright postion on a hard surface. Is this true?

I can only give you the "winterizing" comment I heard on Speed channel regarding prepping a motorcycles for winter storage: bump the tire pressure by about 10 psi if it is not raised from the floor, otherwise 4 psi should be enough.

I am assuming the same principle should also apply for cars though the amount of air added may differ.

By the way, we priced the cost of the tire cover using some assumptions of how much fabric it might take [still have not received any measurements or pics]. If there is enough demand we can introduce the first batch with a promotional price to the market for about $69. And once again, I might even convince the shop to toss the logo for the inital 12 order ;)

You can get one from Discount Tires, just call the 800 number and ask for the Yokohama/DTD cover. I just got mine in the mail today.

Yes indeedy.

The one that Discount Tire sells is a thick plastic bag similar to the one used for gargabe/gardening but thicker mill; it has no pull thread or velcro adjustment. But at $20 its a great buy if that meets your needs.

Hrant said:
I can only give you the "winterizing" comment I heard on Speed channel regarding prepping a motorcycles for winter storage: bump the tire pressure by about 10 psi if it is not raised from the floor, otherwise 4 psi should be enough.

I am assuming the same principle should also apply for cars though the amount of air added may differ.

By the way, we priced the cost of the tire cover using some assumptions of how much fabric it might take [still have not received any measurements or pics]. If there is enough demand we can introduce the first batch with a promotional price to the market for about $69. And once again, I might even convince the shop to toss the logo for the inital 12 order ;)

Ill take one once you get them done. The NSX logo runing the length of it would look great.

Armando

And more importantly .....

Using 2004 17/17 wheels with OEM tires as template ....... :D

As I said, stay tuned ....... !!

Attachments

• pict0175e.jpg
    pict0175e.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 427
steveny said:
Maybe they could put a NSX logo on it too.
If this is for her, and not for you, I would suggest that it be printed or embroidered with something that will appeal to her. NOT an NSX logo. Maybe some flowers. Or, better yet, a picture of that oh-so-perfect $400 pair of shoes. :D

Re: And more importantly .....

Hrant said:
Using 2004 17/17 wheels with OEM tires as template ....... :D

As I said, stay tuned ....... !!

I, too, would be very interested. Do not worry about the wheel size, as the outer diameter should be very similar whether 15" or 17". Only the widths would change, so the overall length would need to be enough to handle say two 8" wide wheels and two 10" wide wheels. Personally, I only need the 15/16 setup sizes.

I never saw this thread originally. Not trying to hijack.
You can call Tirerack for the plastic tire covers from the tire companies. We stock them from Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Conti, and Dunlop for sure. They are not expensive. Alex at x294 knows how to find them.
Aaron

Alex@TTR said:
Let me know if you are interested in covers, Tirerack has got them!

Alex

I am, how much?

Yes, Aaron and Alex, I did note that TireRack's for $20 was a great buy a few posts above ;) And I did shop at TireRack only a few weeks ago too ...... Perhaps TireRack might be interested in retailing these covers and putting their logo ....... it's better looking than the body bags ........ ROTFWL!

For those interested, I will post more details on the Vendor forum soon. We are about to release the introduction of both the stacked tire cover as well as the single tire cover - which we think every NSX/sports car should have come with one from the factory. The stacked tire cover will come with applicability to variety of tire/wheel sizes so this in not limited to the NSX community only; and we will offer them with and without logo. The stacked tire cover will come in two sizes, regular which should accommodate up to four 17x9" wheel/tire combo and a larger one for four 20x10" combo.

And both when folded will fit in your glove box, in the storage pouch behind the passenger seat, behind your CD changer, or even under the seats ............ ;)

Stay tuned ........

Hrant said:
Yes, Aaron and Alex, I did note that TireRack's for $20 was a great buy a few posts above ;) And I did shop at TireRack only a few weeks ago too ...... Perhaps TireRack might be interested in retailing these covers and putting their logo ....... it's better looking than the body bags ........ ROTFWL!

For those interested, I will post more details on the Vendor forum soon. We are about to release the introduction of both the stacked tire cover as well as the single tire cover - which we think every NSX/sports car should have come with one from the factory. The stacked tire cover will come with applicability to variety of tire/wheel sizes so this in not limited to the NSX community only; and we will offer them with and without logo. The stacked tire cover will come in two sizes, regular which should accommodate up to four 17x9" wheel/tire combo and a larger one for four 20x10" combo.

And both when folded will fit in your glove box, in the storage pouch behind the passenger seat, behind your CD changer, or even under the seats ............ ;)

Stay tuned ........

I can tell you without a doubt after seeing Hrant's other work, his cover will be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay nicer than the plastic ones we sell :)

Aaron

Back