• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tire matching (yes, i searched)

OK so my wheels are 17x 7.5 +45 in the front and 18x9 +35 in the rear.

I want to run 265/35/18's in back. either the Toyo T1-S or R1R

now the issue, I want to run a 215/40/17 in front, but is the 215 a solid size for my un-standard front wheels? also, I need to know which tires pair best with the 265's out back in either the T1S or R1R

If anyone reading this has solid input on the T1S vs R1R, id be grateful to hear it. For the sake of argument, im taking wear out of the equation. so my main points are WET traction, noise, and DRY traction.

Thanks in advance guys.

Why are your main points wet traction and noise? This is an NSX we are talking about right? Are you racing it around in the wet all the time on the freeway? Those Toyo's are supposedly terrible, check out Car and Driver's latest comparison test. There are quite a few better tires out there even given your odd priorities. :)

Anyways, 215/40/17 and 255/35/18 will be a better fit for your wheels regardless of which tires you buy.

Last edited:
I'm no tire expert but i do know that a Toyo T1-r or T1-S is a cheap tire. Not very good at all. Comparable to my Falken FK-452's which are rubbish at putting the power down.

the R1R is a much.... better tire, one of the top ones. Also look at Hankook RS-3, Dunlop Z1 star spec, Nitto are apparently also decent. There are more but to name a few of the better value tires, Some people also like Khumo XS which is in the same price bracket. If you want to spend more you can look at Yokohama's or Bridgstones.

From what i have learnt from fellow Prime members it is some times worth dropping in width for a better tire compound as even the smaller tire will provide far superior grip than a inferior tire.

Why are your main points wet traction and noise?

I have two sets of wheels and I daily drive the nsx. While it rarely snows enough here to accumulate, the roads do tend to get wet often from October through Feb. Racing? Hardly :p here it is September already so I'm getting ready. Ill save the super soft compound tires for the warm summer months, but I don't want to be completely 'all season' tire during the mild/cold fall and winter months.

Yea, the small diameter front tires really limit tire choices for the NSX. 215/40/17 sizes are not very popular, especially in the sub 300 treadwear categories.

You have a choice of:
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
Falken Azenis RT-615K
Yokohama Advan Neova AD08

These are all summer tires of course and I'm sure you have seen many reccomend the Star Spec. Nitto also offers possible sticky tires but you are going to have to do weird sizes like 205/40/17 and 245/40/18 - which would match the 7.5 and 9.0 widths. Actually, 205/45/17 might work better with 245/40/18, but you may incur some front rubbing at that size. Hankook Ventus V12 Evos come in these sizes and they might work.

Otherwise you have to move to 300 treadwear and options open up to the likes of Falken FKs, Yokohamas S.Drives, and BFGoodriches. These also will be better suited for daily driving and non-track use.

Your original question was about the front size. Get 215/40-17, which should be just fine for those wheels.

What year is your NSX? If it's a '91-93, go with 265/35-18 in the rear; it's a better match for the TCS for those years. If it's a '94-05, get the 255/35-18, for the same reason. Either rear size can be mounted on 18x9 wheels.

The R1R isn't available in 215/40-17. If you're looking for a sticky tire like the R1R, get one of the three tires listed above by N Spec.

Whatever you do, don't mix the T1S with the R1R. As noted above, the T1S is a relatively low performance tire, and the R1R is a very sticky tire. You really don't want to have tires with such dramatically different tires on different corners at the same time.

Speaking of the wars, will a 265 width tire "bulge" on a 9" wheel?
Slightly, but not excessively. It's approved for mounting on 18x9, although it's at the low end of the approved range (9.0-10.5" for most 265/35-18 tires).

Last edited:
Back