• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tire pressure help-RSVP

Ok,
so I need "suggestions" on proper tire pressure.

-Bridgestone Potenza S-03
275/35ZR18 95y rears
215/40ZR17 83y fronts

max rated pressure-51psi

Climate-75-100 degrees now (Iowa)

Driving style-around town with some country road spurts.

Please feel free to "guide me" on tire pressure. I have had the car for 8 days and driven it 4 days.

Thanks in advance,

Skyguy

OZ racing wheels Superleggera

Attachments

• nsx wheel sm.jpg
    nsx wheel sm.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 341
Never go off of what the tire's max pressure says on the tire itself. Most cars you will find a plate or sticker inside the driver's door that has the recommended tire pressure. 33f and 40r is correct.

You can adjust it slightly depending on the wear pattern you get.

I'm not so sure that the so3's like to be as low as 33,regardless of what it says on the door jam.I have liked the so3's at 36-38 front and 40-42 rear for the street.Try different pressures yourself and see what feels better to you,thats what I do.

docjohn said:
I have liked the so3's at 36-38 front and 40-42 rear for the street.
What have you found to be ideal on the S03's at the track?

If memory serves me(its been 5 yrs) I liked 38-40 hot front and 40-42 hot rear.No jokes about that last statement,Bob,Ken,John et al.:p

Concerning tire wear I've found 37-38F and 43-44R (cold tires) are ideal for the S-03. 33F ment excessive tire wear on the inside at the front.

Greetings,
Thomas

goldNSX said:
Concerning tire wear I've found 37-38F and 43-44R (cold tires) are ideal for the S-03. 33F ment excessive tire wear on the inside at the front.
The recommended 33F/40R is best. Usually, if tire pressure is too low, BOTH edges will wear faster than the center.

The NSX wears the front tires more evenly if the car is driven with a lot of hard cornering. With a lot of sedate driving, such as highway miles, the inside of the front tire wears faster. This is NOT a sign of improper tire pressures.

I don't have a S0-3

but the best pressure I had with my Kumho MX is 33/35 on track... on road, I raised them back up to 33/38... somehow with the 40psi, the rear tires wears out the center part faster..

NSXLuvr said:
Go with OEM- 33F, and 40R unless u are at the track.

these values are only valid for the stock rims and tires. He's right to be asking here as he needs to find out what works best for him by either asking for someone with similar setup or with some trial and error (the stock could be a starting point)

"but the best pressure I had with my Kumho MX is 33/35 on track... on road, I raised them back up to 33/38... "

NSXDreamer,
Are those Kumho MX pressures hot or cold? I found I liked mine 34/39 hot, 29/34 cold for the track. I run 33/40 on the road.

Ken those street pressures I gave are cold.I don't consider routine street driving the venue for hot vs cold.That said if I had a safe road that was twisty enough and long enough to generate sig heat in the tires then I would go with my track suggestions.I have found that at the track most street tires will go up by 5-7 lbs in pressure after a couple of 20-30 min sessions.With R compounds I have seen as much as 11 lbs increase.

I have found that at the track most street tires will go up by 5-7 lbs in pressure after a couple of 20-30 min sessions.With R compounds I have seen as much as 11 lbs increase.
exactly what happened to me.

dave, I didn't have the very scientific means of the tire presure I'm running. Last time the track temp should be around 80's. I did had my tire down to 33/35 at the track, (assuming cold tires there, since it's been sitting at least for 3 hours after the 40mins drive from home to track) I felt a little unstable than I liked... but nothing too concering since it's just my first session anyway.

then before I head off track in my second session, I had the tire set to 33/35 (it's still warm, but the car had already sit for an hour) before heading out to the track again... brilliant...

I haven't checked the tire pressure since then... I might just go home and checked those pressure (I stored the track tires at my parents' house)

docjohn said:
Ken those street pressures I gave are cold.I don't consider routine street driving the venue for hot vs cold.That said if I had a safe road that was twisty enough and long enough to generate sig heat in the tires then I would go with my track suggestions.I have found that at the track most street tires will go up by 5-7 lbs in pressure after a couple of 20-30 min sessions.With R compounds I have seen as much as 11 lbs increase.

Increase in pressure is directly linked to increase in temperature. R-compounds develop higher temperatures than street compounds (R-compounds need higher temperatures to work optimally), causing the same volume of air to heat up, thus increasing the pressure (PV=nRT) more than with street tires.

I have exactly the same setup. Tires and wheels.

Here is my suggestion for street use:

36 front
39 rear

For track as low as:

31 front
34 rear

These figures go for my way of driving.

A lot of issues are to be considered. Every brand of tire has its own specs for pressure. A Michelin Pilot Sport has softer sidewalls than a SO3. The same goes for a Kumho. A tire with softer sidewalls will develope more movement of air in the tire and will increase temp more than a tire with more solid sidewalls. This will affect the pressure you have to use. The same goes for alignment. This also will affect the choice of tire pressure.

How do you use your car? Much cornering? Highway? Track? Daliy use? Are you a fast driver? All questions related to what pressure you have to use.

Last edited:
Back