• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tire Recomendations

I need a new set of tires and was wondering if there's anything better than the stock RE010's. I love the grip, but the wears killing me :). The front's lasted 12,400 but the rears only 4,500 miles. I don't do burnouts, track it, or doughnuts....only when I'm gonna change them. The dealer sugested Yokohama A022H0. They're 6 lbs lighter, but how do they compare in grip and wear??? I don't want any tire that has less grip then the stocks and from a brief search here they seem to have more :). Anyone got another opinion on these or any others like Pirellis or Michelins???

I also don;t care much about the tread pattern and almost never drive in the rain so aggressive patterns aren't a problem. I just don;t want any tire that has any less grip, worse temperature rating, or can afect the handling adversly. More grip and life would be good. And if you have any idea how much life to expect please let me know too.

Oh and i have an 01 with the 215's and 245's

Thankyou kindly :)
Dan

Check your alignment? :confused: When I had my nsx, my rears lasted 10k miles with about 30% tread left. The only reason why I had to replace my rears was because I had a nail near the side wall. My front tires had plenty of tread left (about 60% or little more). Just to let you know as well, I drove my car pretty hard with the occasional dounut and burn outs. :biggrin:

Dan Ciesniewski said:
The dealer sugested Yokohama A022H0. They're 6 lbs lighter, but how do they compare in grip and wear???
The Yokohama A022H0 is the other OEM tire (besides the RE010) developed specifically for the NSX. The grip is outstanding - at least as good, if not slightly better. I would not expect them to last any longer than the RE010, though.

Dan Ciesniewski said:
Anyone got another opinion on these or any others like Pirellis or Michelins???
I would suggest you read through this recent topic, since the person who started it seems to have similar preferences to yours. He wound up with the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, which seems to be a good choice, although I haven't heard enough about their treadlife to know how it compares with other tires. The Bridgestone S-03 might be another good choice for your needs; it offers excellent performance, and should last longer than the RE010, although it costs more than the Goodyears.

Checking your alignment, as mentioned above by NsSeX, is also a good idea. Furthermore, keep in mind that you can reduce the amount of rear toe (use less than the recommended spec) to increase the life of your rear tires, at the expense of a slight reduction in handling. That may be another valid alternative for you, since you like the grip of the OEM tires.

Of course, you can reduce the rear toe AND change to one of these other tires. Just remember that if you do that, you won't know how much your treadlife increased due to the alignment, and how much due to the change in tires...

Thanks, so far, I plan on getting an alignment with the new tires, but don't want to lesser the toe in. My main concern is just trying to find a tire that has the same or more grip then the stock ones (not even slighty less) but with a little better wear.

I also should add that I sadly only drive in for pleasure and I drive it like I stole it :)

If that's the case, I personally would recomend michelin pilot sport 2's. From what i've heard about them, they were specifically designed for cars with natural camber. I currently have pilot sports, but plan on switching over to the ps2's when its time for new tires.

NsSeX said:
If that's the case, I personally would recomend michelin pilot sport 2's. From what i've heard about them, they were specifically designed for cars with natural camber. I currently have pilot sports, but plan on switching over to the ps2's when its time for new tires.
The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 doesn't come in 16" sizes, so there is no size for the front wheels of Dan's '01.

The sizes are available for the original Michelin Pilot Sport, however (as noted in the topic to which I posted the link above, as well as in your post, of course).

Dan Ciesniewski said:
I also should add that I sadly only drive in for pleasure and I drive it like I stole it :)
Driving it "like you stole it" on the street still doesn't require the amount of front toe-out or rear toe-in that spec recommends. As NSXTASY suggested, use less than factory specified front toe-out and rear toe-in and you will have the best of both worlds. Good handling and better tire wear.

The SO3s will be your best choice and is what I use. I like them very much for the reasons that NSXTASY stated although I use a larger than stock width on a 1994: 225x45x16 and 255x40x17 as noted below by NSX-Racer.

Last edited:
OLDE GUY said:
The SO3s will be your best choice and is what I use. I like them very much for the reasons that NSXTASY stated although I use a larger than stock width on a 1994 with 16 inch front and 17 inch rear wheels.
Which means 225 and 255 I guess? That's at least what I use for this tire.

I have Pirelli PZero Neros 17/18 in and I love them. The rears have 10K on them and look like they have another 6-8K mi to go. The ride is softer and the grip is comparable to my original Yokohamas - also, turn-in is crisper which is probably due to a lower profile tire than OEM.

NSX-Racer said:
Which means 225 and 255 I guess? That's at least what I use for this tire.
Yes.

My first post in this topic has a link to the discussion in the other topic, where I suggest sizes for the various tires for the '94-01 NSX. For the S-03, they are 225/45-16 and 255/40-17.

1HOT NSX said:
I have Pirelli PZero Neros 17/18 in and I love them.
Although it's an excellent tire, the P Zero Nero does not come in sizes suitable for 16"/17" wheels on an NSX, so that's not a choice for Dan's
'01.

Last edited:
nsxtasy said:
Although it's an excellent tire, the P Zero Nero does not come in sizes suitable for 16"/17" wheels on an NSX, so that's not a choice for Dan's
'01.

Off topic: But it comes in sizes suitable for my Diesel Ford Mondeo - it's of course overkill for a caravan but I really already ordered the Pirellis to alter my NSX towing machine to a mountain road monster - beware you Bimmers! :biggrin:

(Maybe sometimes I will use the NSX to tow the race prepped Mondeo on the trailer)

nsxtasy said:
The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 doesn't come in 16" sizes, so there is no size for the front wheels of Dan's '01.

The sizes are available for the original Michelin Pilot Sport, however (as noted in the topic to which I posted the link above, as well as in your post, of course).
:redface: ahh I forgot that he had oem rims. Thanks for correcting me Nsxtasy :biggrin:

Back