• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tire size- 93NSX with16/17" wheels,HELP

My questions are:
1. Does the '93 TCS values differ from the 2002?

I'm going to try 215/40-16 + 255/40-17 Bridgestones on my '93.
Now the '93 TCS was ok for going 245/40-17 in rear, will it accept the 255/40-17 for rear as well as go 215/40-16 OR 215/45-16 for front?

2. Can i mix RE010 fronts (215/45-16
WITH
RE040 rears (255/40-17)??

Need to get tires ASAP. Thanks all!
Dennis
RI

TCS is calibrated differently for each year car. The TCS on your '93 will work fine with those sizes, which are 2.4 percent larger than stock in front, 0.7 percent larger than stock in the rear.

However, I think you're better off using the same tires front and rear - for example the RE010 front and rear (with the 245/40-17) rather than the RE040 (with the 255/40-17).

dennis said:
My questions are:
1. Does the '93 TCS values differ from the 2002?

I'm going to try 215/40-16 + 255/40-17 Bridgestones on my '93.
Now the '93 TCS was ok for going 245/40-17 in rear, will it accept the 255/40-17 for rear as well as go 215/40-16 OR 215/45-16 for front?

2. Can i mix RE010 fronts (215/45-16
WITH
RE040 rears (255/40-17)??

Need to get tires ASAP. Thanks all!
Dennis
RI
I owned a 1995 NSX-T a few years ago. When time came to install new rear tires I chose 255-40x17 Kumho 721 Supras. They worked great on the OEM 17x8.5" rear wheels.

NSXIMAGE said:
I chose 255-40x17 Kumho 721 Supras.
I assume you're referring to the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 tire, not the "721 Supra". As noted in this topic, the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 tire was designed primarily as a "budget performance" tire. It is pretty good, but was not intended to be as good (for dry traction and cornering) as today's best tires such as the Bridgestone S-03, and is not even the top of the Kumho line. On the other hand, it is inexpensive. If you're looking to save a few bucks on the tires on your NSX and you're willing to compromise the performance of the car in order to do it, the ES100 might meet your needs.

On the other hand, if you care about achieving the entire performance potential of your NSX, the OEM tires (Yokohama A022H, Bridgestone RE010, Bridgestone RE040) offer a great handling "feel of precision", that is immensely beneficial even for those who only drive their NSX on the street, but enjoy the precision handling when cornering, either on a mountain road or a highway ramp. The OEM tires are terrific for someone who wants to enjoy the slot-car handling that the NSX is capable of. If someone drives his NSX only in commuter traffic or on straight highways, this attribute may be less important.

Remember, you get more "bang for the buck" by spending a little more for better tires than for any other part on the car.

KUMHO tires

nsxtasy said:
I assume you're referring to the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 tire, not the "721 Supra". As noted in this topic, the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 tire was designed primarily as a "budget performance" tire. It is pretty good, but was not intended to be as good (for dry traction and cornering) as today's best tires such as the Bridgestone S-03, and is not even the top of the Kumho line. On the other hand, it is inexpensive. If you're looking to save a few bucks on the tires on your NSX and you're willing to compromise the performance of the car in order to do it, the ES100 might meet your needs.

On the other hand, if you care about achieving the entire performance potential of your NSX, the OEM tires (Yokohama A022H, Bridgestone RE010, Bridgestone RE040) offer a great handling "feel of precision", that is immensely beneficial even for those who only drive their NSX on the street, but enjoy the precision handling when cornering, either on a mountain road or a highway ramp. The OEM tires are terrific for someone who wants to enjoy the slot-car handling that the NSX is capable of. If someone drives his NSX only in commuter traffic or on straight highways, this attribute may be less important.

Remember, you get more "bang for the buck" by spending a little more for better tires than for any other part on the car.

Thanks for your detailed description of these tires. I had the 721 Supras in sizes 215-40x17/ 265x18 for well over 20k miles. Only one flat and lots of highway miles. I had the rears replaced at 22k miles and when the car was sold, the fronts were still ok.
I ordered the tires from Discount Tires mounted on some Enkei RPO-1 wheels. Both were a great combo for what I did with my NSX-T ... daily driver. I miss it dearly.

Back