• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Titling a race car in IL

Q

Experienced Member
How do you title a race car in Illinois? If the car is a dedicated track car and not road legal, how do you title it?

I'm purchasing a car from out-of-state that used to be a road legal car, but is being converted to a track only car. So the car currently has a regular out-of-state title. If I take ownership I need proof by procuring a title in my name, but it will never pass emissions and will not be plated or used on public roads.

The only provision in the Illinois Title and Registration document that seems to fit is to title it as an ATV. I would have thought there would be a "racing only" title selection.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Hello Q, My review of NADA's 2005 title and registration textbook leads me to believe you would apply for IL title as normal. In this textbook, it states: Title only issued? Yes.
Title brands? Your IL title, when issued, may be branded "Not eligible for registration."

So if it were to work that way, you would have a valid IL "clear title" but possibly branded as not eligible for registration. Hence, no emissions/tailpipe testing and no registration issuance/fees.

Hope this helps you, and PM me if you wish a phone number for discussion...

Ok, so it's a regular title with a "no registration" provision. I would simply make sure the DMV is aware what I'm doing when I go through the paperwork.

Thanks!! :biggrin:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/title_registration/apply.html

Use the Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (VSD 190) for any transaction for title without plates, i.e. title only (if the vehicle will not be operated); duplicate title; junking certificate, corrected title or salvage certificate.

Of course VSD 190 is not available on-line. You'll need to visit the a DMV facility.

AND, Q, don't forget your cash, checkbook, and/or credit cards.

Randy (nsx2tall) I hope you and family are all well. We had a fine Monday at Gingerman a couple o years ago!

Randy (nsx2tall) I hope you and family are all well. We had a fine Monday at Gingerman a couple o years ago!

Now that you let my secret identity out, I can no longer effectively fight crime on the internets. :tongue:

Hope to see you at Gingerman again sometime-- maybe this year?

Also, don't forget that in Illinois, if your NSX is '94 or older, it is exempt from any emission check as it is not an OBDII car.

There is a special type of registration for a race car. Go to the dmv, they can help you. I couldn't pass emisions with my del sol show car so they gave me the forms to register it as a show car/race car. It has certain restrictions which I don't remember. I have extra forms somewhere I'll try to dig up and post.

There is a special type of registration for a race car. Go to the dmv, they can help you. I couldn't pass emisions with my del sol show car so they gave me the forms to register it as a show car/race car. It has certain restrictions which I don't remember. I have extra forms somewhere I'll try to dig up and post.

I'd like to hear more about this. I can't find any references to this in the Illinois Vehicle Code and I'm pretty sure my subie will not pass emissions tests in August. At least not unless they're allowing test pipes now.

I'd like to hear more about this. I can't find any references to this in the Illinois Vehicle Code and I'm pretty sure my subie will not pass emissions tests in August. At least not unless they're allowing test pipes now.

Check out this link:

http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/faq/exempt.html

But as I said, if you have no codes, you won't have to worry about anything. If you cannot get rid of a code, then you want to ask a shop to provide documentation that you completed repairs worth at least $450 and they were not able to fix the problem.

"A waiver allows the owner of a failing vehicle to still be able to renew its registration. A vehicle may qualify for a waiver for the current test period if it has failed at least two tests, received a minimum of $450 of emissions-related repairs from a Recognized Repair Technician, and fulfills all other waiver requirements."

Link: http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/faq/failure.html

Sean -

Do the show car/race car exemption. It's a piece of cake. I used to have that for my Vette.

Title the car as normal. Then send in the exemption, with a picture of your car and a description.The only provision is the car can do no more than 2K miles per year - you will not have to pass emissions or take the test.

If you ever decide to make it street legal again, you'll be OK then.

We'll talk Friday.

- Frank

Back