• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

TL HP???? on Acura's site

I'm sorry if this is a repost, I did a quick search but didn't find anything.

I was just looking at Acura's website and I saw that they are advertising that the TL has 258hp!! Is that correct?? My 2004 TL was advertised as having 270hp. Is this s screw up, or did they over-rate the engine before??

I thought they passed new industry standards because a lot of companies were overstating their horsepower.

Yeah, I just read that also. You know what I think.....it's a bunch of crap!! I think they got caught over-rating the TL's engine. If the SAE measurement for HP calculations has changed then why do the TSX, RL, Integra, and NSX all still have the same HP???

SAE has changed the formula for calculating HP. The HP on the 06 TL is the same as the previous models if it were calculated with the same formula on the 04 and 05 models.

brandonson said:
SAE has changed the formula for calculating HP. The HP on the 06 TL is the same as the previous models if it were calculated with the same formula on the 04 and 05 models.

That is correct. Almost all Honda's lost HP when they switched over. I think the TSX is the only one that gained. The performance remains identical. Even the NSX dropped to 280. :(

jadkar said:
Yeah, I just read that also. You know what I think.....it's a bunch of crap!! I think they got caught over-rating the TL's engine. If the SAE measurement for HP calculations has changed then why do the TSX, RL, Integra, and NSX all still have the same HP???

FYI, Honda is the only one 'caught' doing this. Just about every car from every manfacturer did too. Coincidently, the new Vette actually gained in the new method.

jadkar said:

FYI, the new SAE rating is a voluntary system. They did not get "caught" doing anything. I honestly don't know why they are using it because it made their cars look worse.

NetViper said:
FYI, the new SAE rating is a voluntary system. They did not get "caught" doing anything. I honestly don't know why they are using it because it made their cars look worse.

I thought it was voluntary (last '05) year but mandatory this model year('06).:confused:

Back