• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

to buy or not to buy?

I test drove my first NSX today and fell in love. MUCH more responsive than my supra turbo was and generally more fun to handle... and I can't get enough of those sounds coming from behind.

So anyways, I'm deciding on whether or not to buy this one... It's a black/black 1993. Here's a pro/con assessment on the situation:

Pro's:
Low price: $29,900
No mechanical defects
Dealer has very good reputation

Con's:
Needs some touch-up (they said $200 per panel to get rid of any scratches.. so $1000 extra for a perfect finish)
Was a theft recovery (hence the low price)
Has somewhat high mileage - 71k

What do you guys think? Is this a good buy or not? I'm very attracted to the price because it gives me more money to invest in wheels/tires, suspension, exhaust, stereo, etc. However, I am wary about any problems it may give me. They assure me that it's perfect mechanically and the only cosmetic defects I saw were the scratches on the outside.. no dents or anything and it's never been in an accident. They also provide a powertrain/tranny warranty. I was also thinking.. because of the high mileage, should I ask them to replace the timing belt or anything else before I buy it?

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Rob

I should also note that the view out the rear was rather dirty looking! Is this a problem or a lack of cleaning back there? Excuse my NSX ignorance.

Rob

The milage is not an issue. Have a good mechanic or the local Acura dealer check the car out completely, don't rely on the seller's promise it is in good condition. Also, have a body shop give you an estimate on getting the dings out. That way you know for sure what you are in for.

If the car checks out, the price is good.

Yes, make the sure the car is in good condition first. The mileage is not an issue as long as the car is in good shape and was taken care of. I know some people care about mileage for resale value. However, as far as reliability, at 71K the car is still in it's prime.
Now, if you were buying a vette with 71K, um.. err.. uhh. well you know.
smile.gif

Regarding the timing belt...

It's a scheduled maintenance item that's long overdue. I would try to get them to pay for it or give you a credit.

Timing belts (and the water pump done at the same time) are approximately $1200.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Oh... You didn't mention if this was an Acura dealer...

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

You mentioned that it was a theft recovery. If the car has a salvate title, run, dont walk away from the car. You'll not only be faced with much lower resale value (assuming you can find a buyer), but may have problems insuring it.

If the car is thoroughly checked out, I think you should be ok. Make sure to have it checked for signs of structural repair though.

If it has a salvage title, you do need to research insurance and financing (if applicable) first. I would not worry too much about resale if the car checks out because the current asking price already reflects the history.

Back