• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

To NSXPO or not to NSXPO

I just got a '91 2 weeks ago. I'd love to go to NSXPO this year, but the problem is the car's 14 years old, almost at 90k, and AFAIK has never had the timing belt replaced. Being a V8 kinda guy, the whole timing belt thing kinda freaks me out, and I'm paranoid that I'm taking a big risk driving 1200 miles from Austin to Pheonix and back, as well as track time, hoping that the damn timing belt doesn't let loose and lunch my motor.

Am I being paranoid? I can replace it myself, so I really hate paying a dealer to do it (plus I don't have that kind of cash lying around right now).

Decibel said:
I just got a '91 2 weeks ago. I'd love to go to NSXPO this year, but the problem is the car's 14 years old, almost at 90k, and AFAIK has never had the timing belt replaced. Being a V8 kinda guy, the whole timing belt thing kinda freaks me out, and I'm paranoid that I'm taking a big risk driving 1200 miles from Austin to Pheonix and back, as well as track time, hoping that the damn timing belt doesn't let loose and lunch my motor.

Am I being paranoid? I can replace it myself, so I really hate paying a dealer to do it (plus I don't have that kind of cash lying around right now).

Yes its way overdue.
If you make the trek, drive "easy" don't push it and STAY off the track for sure.

Personally if i were in the same situ, I wouldnt, 'cause you never know... Take another car and enjoy the show.

-j-

I would take lots of pictures, get yourself one of those little baby albums, and come without the car. I missed my first one last year due to multiple issues, mostly with myself, and have been kicking myself ever since.

Just show up, (well, register first:D), have a blast, and get the car ready for the BIG roadtrip to Sebring next year (oops, not supposed to say that out loud. Here come the NSXPO police with the comfy chair and soft pillows to exact their justice!!!)

Back