• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

To Targa Or Not To Targa?

For those of you that went with a Targa model, do you find yourselves actually removing it on those lovely sunny days to let your hair, or lack thereof, blow in the wind? I was contemplating as to which I would actually want to go with as I make my first NSX purchase in hopefully two or three months from now after I sell my house.

I know as far as taking a T through a roadcourse it will not be quite as nimble as a non-T, but I don't plan to be a track demon...just every now and then. :) So also, for those of you that have both experiences, how well do they compare on a twisty course? Aaand lastly, I have never owned a Targa vehicle, or even known someone with one, is there enough room in the NSX for it to fit? I know for some cars its not. Thanks!

At first I wasn't crazy about having the Targa, but now I totally love it. I wouldn't want a NSX without it. It is hard to beat the sound of the anytime screaming behind you with the top off! :)

Last edited:
i rarely remove my targa :smile:

i read someone's post from whileback that the NSX-T's handling is comprimised a tiny bit due to the lack of rigidity from the removable top.

is this true?

also do you experience any rain leaks and such from older used models?

I rarely drive the NSX with the top on. Regarding storage, there's a clamshell supplied with targa models that fit in the engine cover. I sometimes just throw it in the trunk.

I've been considering upgrading to a 97+ specifically for the 3.2 and the removable top. My plan is to ride with a NSX-T owner this saturday before pursuing a newer nsx. I want to see how bad the wind beats up on you at 50+ mph speeds with the top off. I would suggest riding/driving a hardtop NSX and a NSX-T as well before making your decision.

i would definatly go targa, i mean why not? if you liek coupe jsut put the top on, the great thing about the NSX-T si it doesnt look like crap when the top is up, like on most convertibles, it looks just like the coupe when the top is up- and then yu also have the convertible option, its just perfect. look great both ways. man nsx rocks!

If you want a NSX Type T, and the budget permits you, get a 97 and up. The NA2 spec is stiffer, but still not quite as stiff as a NA1 Couple, but pertty darn close.

It's true the T is less rigid, but the NA2 T spec, especially after 02 comes with stiffer suspension to off set the lost in chassis rigidity. I must say, if you own a 02+ NSX T, with the roof on, the car might even be better the original NA1 coupe, mostly due to tighter suspension set up, chassis reinforcement, and bigger wheel/tire package.

As for my self, I drive with the top off as often as I can, just love the sun in S. Cal.

I love driving beautiful women around topless:biggrin:

I live in Houston and it's hot as h@$$ most of the time but I take the targa off quite a bit. There nothing like open air motoring where you can enjoy the sun and the exquisite music of the engine at the same time.

Get the targa, I'm bias:tongue:

Wheelman said:
I love driving beautiful women around topless:biggrin:

now that's COOL :biggrin:
any pix that u can share with us? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

NSXboy2000 said:
i would definatly go targa, i mean why not? if you liek coupe jsut put the top on, the great thing about the NSX-T si it doesnt look like crap when the top is up, like on most convertibles, it looks just like the coupe when the top is up- and then yu also have the convertible option, its just perfect. look great both ways. man nsx rocks!

Well I wouldn't have a T... The extra weight in chassis stiffening is like having a huge fat b*stard sitting in the car with you all the time! :eek:

Then there is the more flexible chasis...

Then you have the wind noise...

And my friend is constantly rubbing sunscreen on and looking very hot and bothered when exiting his S2000 after a weekend drive together...

I can wind up the window have the air-con going and actually listen to music... I arrive quite relaxed and refreshed...

I love the coupe and it is my choice!

ANYTIME said:
it also could be the car is going topless, not the women :biggrin:

why not?:tongue:booo!

but anywho...... the thought of having a T would be wonderful, especially those hot summer nights in socal, cruizin down PCH with the brains blowned out(top down) and a hottie by your side and her hair blowing, plus the cool factor.:cool:

but in reality, its a fair exchange. cool factor vs. performance,.. what ever floats you boat.

Getting an NSX-T makes perfect sense for your situation:

* You are not a track junkie, so the minor loss of rigidity is probably not detectable to you (nor will you care). Also, for NA2 targas the difference is negligible.

* If you want a normal drive, keep the top on. AC won't leak, and I have a 98 targa and never had a rain leakage problem.

* You have the OPTION of looking like a successful millionaire big baller when you have the top off.

There is no down side, and only upsdie. Go for it!

I've owned both. There is also a difference in a 3.0 versus a 3.2, 5 speed versus 6 speed, so that's also something you may wish to consider in addition to a targa or non targa.

I seldom take the top off. I also removed by engine cover so I don't have the clam shell handy, but I don't even take it off and leave it in the garage. And I don't like the idea of putting it in the trunk and thinking it might be sliding around. I like my air conditioning.:biggrin:

If the weather is nice, I ALWAYS remove the top.

Its fairly convenient and really does change the driving experience. I dont find that it is *that* much different then a convertible.

But, if I could have purchased an 02+ coupe, I would have.

The bigger engine and the 6sp are priorities for me, although with the heavier targa car the engine is somewhat negated.

Overall, I prefer having the option of removing the roof panel. But I usually don't take it off on those sunny days that some are talking about. It's too damn hot with the the sun hitting down on you the whole time you're driving (as one poster mentioned). It's really best on warm summer *nights* (as another posted) when the sun is gone but the weather is still nice.

As for chassis rigidity, I haven't been in a coupe before so I can't compare, but driving with and without the roof installed is like night and day. With the roof off, you can really feel the car flexing, especially through the steering wheel, and especially when the car's wheels hit the road irregularity at an angle. Not noticeable with the roof installed, though, which is how you'd have your car configured for the seldom track day.

J

Same here... I rarely remove the top. But when I do, it's a treat. However, on long drives the wind noise can wear you out. And I also noticed the same thing about body flex under hard cornering with the top off.

According to Shad at CT, the NSX-T suspension can be greatly improved by installing CT's Non-Compliance Rear Beam & Toe Links and f/r sways.

Nicest day in LA today, had to take the top off and go for a drive even though I havent been driving due to a waiting list to get alignment done correct:redface: and I feel better already! The car with the top off on a sunny day is NSX THERAPY!

Attachments

• Picture094_12Apr06.jpg
    Picture094_12Apr06.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 118
I've recently upgraded from a 92 coupe to a 99 T and am familiar with the dilemma. I really like the T because you have a lot of options. Warm day top off, Cold day top on, Sleeping kid top on, etc. The cool factor is superb with the T. My boys think dad's T car is even cooler than the coupe.

Track day rigidity issue, minor. Air rushing thru your hair on a sunny Saturday, priceless.

Just my 2cents.

Rod

We went the opposite way from most people, starting with a T and then going to an earlier model coupe (for widebody purposes). We were just talking the other night how we both miss having the T. Especially down in Tucson where there are a lot of nice days that it is functional, even during the summer with the nice warm nights. Nearly all the time the top stayed off permanently, tucked in the clamshell, unless we were driving on the freeway or it happened to rain. :rolleyes:

Either way it is a great driving experience, it just depends on if you like open air motoring. I think our future NSX will once again be a T though!!:biggrin:

i think my widebody looks better because of the t option. Driving with the top out on nice days and cool nights IS priceless. The bose stereo even sounds decent at high speeds with the top out.

Back