• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

To those with the 02 rear conversion

I've seen a number of 02 rear conversions here with the bumper painted differently. I know the 02/03 NSXs have that area in between the exhaust tips, the lower valance left black. I know it's based upon personal preference but what are some of your opinions on leaving that part black or color matching it with the rest of the bumper? And if left black is it painted or left bare plastic? TIA for the replies.

93B18 said:
I've seen a number of 02 rear conversions here with the bumper painted differently. I know the 02/03 NSXs have that area in between the exhaust tips, the lower valance left black. I know it's based upon personal preference but what are some of your opinions on leaving that part black or color matching it with the rest of the bumper? And if left black is it painted or left bare plastic? TIA for the replies.
93B18: At this moment I am looking at my new 02 valence along with the 36 various new parts that came with it. Honestly I haven't a clue where these parts go. To answer you question about paint the mesh is black from the factory and I am leaving it that way and painting the rest to match the car. (Silverstone) Now to figure out if I just take the old valance off or does the whole bumper come off. If anyone in the community has directions to this conversion it sure would be appreciated.

Last edited:
im painting mine all one colour, i dont like the blackout effect, it looks to angular. Im replacing the mesh with silver to match the rest of the inserts. The piece replaces the bottom half of the rear bumper only, i'm led to believe (after checking the fax section ;))

Lower Rear Valance

Now to figure out if I just take the old valence off or does the whole bumper come off. If anyone in the community has directions to this conversion it sure would be appreciated. Below is what was sent with the various parts.
RearBumperDisassembly.jpg

03RearBumperDisassembly.jpg.w300h203.jpg

Last edited:
How much did the 02 valence cost? Additionally, how much does the bumper portion cost? I was bumped in the rear and am considering replacing mine....

SigEpUCI said:
How much did the 02 valence cost? Additionally, how much does the bumper portion cost? I was bumped in the rear and am considering replacing mine....
Price has slipped my memory(must have been expensive) came from Cush Acura Of Escond through the NSX God. Just remembered $650.00 Looks like 200.00 worth of bolts with the valence Damn OEM bolt for front spoiler cost me $5.00.

Last edited:
$650 is about $100 too much, you can simply call Ray Laks Acura and speak to Tim Pollniak (716)826-4109 directly and he will give the best price w/ no club affiliation required. I believe I paid $540 for the 2003 rear valence shipped to my door in about 4 days. All you need is that and the "V" bracket that keeps the center section from sagging, all other parts are transfereable from your old style valence. I left my center mesh area black to not only make it consistent w/ factory specs, but it also seems to give it a nice contrast and more dimension. BTW, the black was just left unpainted and shined up using something like Armour All, rather than painted black.
fc26f4af.jpg

All you need is that and the "V" bracket that keeps the center section from sagging, all other parts are transfereable from your old style valence. Looks like my call on the price of the bolts and fittings with the new V bracket was close.

Back