• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tokyo Nightlife

Hey guys, For all you Single People Or couple I though i post a topic on the nightlife around Tokyo. I been living here for almost 3 years so i Been to most of these places and Know where some nice bars and party spots are. I'll list some general areas for everone but if you want to ask me a question feel free to PM me or email me @ [email protected]. But for you party animals here are some areas to go to: Drinking and clubbing age in Japan is 20

The ever so popular Roppongi aka Roppo (gaijin's playground)
Basicly this is where all the foreingers party at theres plenty of bars and clubs out here. the drawback on this is That every bar or club you go into will make you buy a drink. They may not be a cover charge but you will have to by a drink. Some clubs will charge you around 2000-3500 yen to get in buy this usually comes with 1-2 drink tickets. the avrg price for a drink or beer is 700 yen. Also you get the nigirains trying to hustle you into strip clubs or "tit tit bars" On the weekends its packed.Alot of the bars and club workers speak english so you dont have to worry. Some bars to go to is Firstbar, Wall street, Gaspanic, Club 99, 911, Ect ect. clubs and bars here gets poppin around 11-12 midnight and last till 5-6 am. then you have afterbars and clubs which last until 12 noon. Beware of the Massage girls as they are as you know "speical massages" and also girls who work at bars and club trying to lure you in and buying them drinks . I advise you to go with a friend and watch your drinks as it has been known people have been drugged and there credit card charged up the ass. Pay with cash avoid paying with a credit card. There is a citi bank there that takes foreinge checking, ATM cards where you can pull out cash. All in all this place is pack and fun times to be had. Most bar there plays hiphop and techno.

Shibuya is another popular party spot. Its less trashy then roppongi and has alot of the major clubs there. Most of the locals will go party here. Cost to get in most clubs are 2500-3500 yen which includes 1-2 drinks. They do more ID checks here and searches your body (like regular clubs). they dont hassle you to buy drinks. The clubs here are ususally multiple floors and each floor playing a diffrent type of music. Mainly its techno and hip-hop. To help you out there is a website you can go to to check out events ( its in english). just type in Iflyer in your search and it will either say iflyer.jp ot iflyer.tv. either way. if you click the site and it list events in japan. you are on the right page. I go here more often now since i dont get hassle with buying drinks or stuff like that. Some clubs here have drinks ranging from 500-1000 yen. Theres also clubs which you pay 3500 and its all you can drink all night.

Shinjuku and other areas (ginza Yokohama, Machida)

Shinjuku koboki-cho area is Japans real red light district. Strictly off limits to foreingers ( you get the imfamous X mark )but if you have a local friend he can talk your way in. Maybe on off nights they will let you in.

Ginza is a more ritzy area. Theres some clubs and bars out there but this is where the materialistc gold-digging girls hang out at. Expect to pay out of your ass to party here

Yokohama is not really a party spot but theres some nice clubs and bars here. Theres a place called The hub which alot of foreingers go to. You'll get the famous liter of beer here and drink are arvrg price, you can eat and meet locals here. If your home sick for food they have T.G.I.F right there outside near the station. You can find the normal food and drinks there and you can chat up with the locals.

Machida is another place but the only thing there is another "the Hub" not alot to do here, locals bars and eatiers here And kinda out of the way from Tokyo.

I'll post more when i remember but these are the major areas to party in Tokyo area. If you happend to have a cell phone or wish to call me you can contact me @ 09063417303 i may not answer now since i'm away from home but i'll be back in Nov. I'll definitly come party with you guys and show you around.

Thanks for the write up! Ill be in Japan for the month of Nov. Pretty much the only place i DONT want to be is Roppongi. Ive known for a while i dont want to go there if i dont have to. Too many foreigners in one place is just begging for trouble. Trouble i dont want. :wink:
Thanks again!

From Wiki::redface:

Kabukichō

Crime

According to a spokesperson of Metropolitan Tokyo in 2004, there are more than 1,000 yakuza members in Kabukichō, and 120 different enterprises under their control.

Entering the new millennium, laws were more strictly enforced and patrols became more frequent. These, adding to the installation of fifty closed-circuit cameras in May 2002, reduced criminal activities in Kabukichō, amidst controversy.

In 2004, the police undertook an operation clamping down on illegal clubs and brothels, causing many to go out of business. Also, there is a movement to rid Kabukichō of the yakuza, known as the Kabukichō Renaissance.

In 2009 a man died after being robbed by a bar manager and her staff in Kabukicho, according to the Yomiuri Shinbun.

Don't know where this thread is going, but I can tell you that on many trips to Japan since 1986 I've never felt safer -- in ALL the districts listed above. (No, I do not read, write or speak Japanese.)
Like any big city, Tokyo should be treated with respect by (gaijin) those unfamiliar with cultural and other new exposures.
My $0.02

Last edited:
Don't know where this thread is going, but I can tell you that on many trips to Japan since 1986 I've never felt safer -- in ALL the districts listed above. (No, I do not read, write or speak Japanese.)
Like any big city, Tokyo should be treated with respect by (gaijin) those unfamiliar with cultural and other new exposures.
My $0.02

I totally agree with you on that note. IM not "afraid" to go anywhere in Japan. I just dont want to be around tons of inebriated foreigners at night. It would be the same over here. Just not what i call fun.:smile:

Yeah, The crime rate is low here but there is still crime. As for the J-rock bars( also known as "live house's) i can find some for you. i dont know many out there but i can ask my friend. Just look up live houses and see what comes up.

Back