• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Too much frt brake bias with brembo lotus brakes?

I finally installed my brembo big brake kit. Lotus esprit calipers all around. I just did a track day and noticed too much bias on frt brakes. How could I correct this without installing a balance bar pedal setup? I was wondering if I could put bias valve in the lines and fine tune it that way?

Different pad compounds?

If you have Brembo GT (lotus) all around, you have a 50/50 bias which is too much REAR bias. You would want somewhere between 65-55% front bias. It all depends on tires and suspension setup (spring rates). A front bias is safer than the 50/50 rear bias you currently have. You don't want the rears to lock first.

You have two options, use different compounds F/R or install a brake bias valve. Dali sells a kit with lines or you can buy a Tilton or Wilwood valve and DIY. They make two kinds, a knob type that allows fine tuning or a lever type that has several preset indents.

Last edited:
will the bias effect the abs or tcs?

will the bias effect the abs or tcs?

Traction control - no.
ABS - yes, but in a good way.

Right now, with Brembos front and rear the ABS will be triggered by the rears locking up first.

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=399&CFID=15269044&CFTOKEN=40219996

prop_kit_uninstalled.jpg

You'd ideally want to use two rotary knob valves as the lever style limit you to certain positions and can vary up to 20% from one unit to another's same position. The rotary valve gives you unlimited positioning, however, you will want to install a gauge per channel to make sure each corner is getting the same pressure. SPA makes a good gauge with two channels of sensors. We sell this if you need it.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Which bbk will yield the best brake bias without installing the bias valve? Does the Stoptech bbk have this brake bias problem?

Henry.

AP Racing.

:confused: Doesn't the AP racing use a BBK up front and just a bracket to move the OEM caliper out on the rear? RB +2 setup looks it would be a better setup than the AP rear as RB using a whole new bracket instead of just a add on bracket.

BTW: This is NOT an "ideal" setup as you still have too much front bias. The clamping force of the OEM 1 pot sliding caliper can't match the 4 pot in the front. This is better than BBK front and OEM rear, but only slightly better - still something like a 70 +/- % front bias.

:confused: Doesn't the AP racing use a BBK up front and just a bracket to move the OEM caliper out on the rear? RB +2 setup looks it would be a better setup than the AP rear as RB using a whole new bracket instead of just a add on bracket.

BTW: This is NOT an "ideal" setup as you still have too much front bias. The clamping force of the OEM 1 pot sliding caliper can't match the 4 pot in the front. This is better than BBK front and OEM rear, but only slightly better - still something like a 70 +/- % front bias.
AP has a full, extremely well-balanced 4-wheel system that was developed a few years ago. This system completely replaces all OE components front and rear, and includes separate parking brake calipers.

The rear system uses a 4-piston caliper and a 330x28mm 2-piece rotor on an aluminum hat. The OE parking brake cable is rerouted and re-used. The 6-piston front system has been upgraded to the latest strap drive disc mounting technology.

These kits were not marketed into the USA as there was some question about whether or not there was still a market for such a complete system. Drivers in the UK who track their upgraded street NSX's absolutely love the performance of the AP solution. If a few people got together and talked to Stillen (AP's USA agent), I'm sure a small batch of these could be made up again.

Chris

The AP Racing 6 piston front 4 piston rear kit is very nice, but the calipers are extremely wide, making wheel clearance a big problem. They are signficantly more offset to the outside of the car compared to even other very wide caliper kits, like the Stoptech kit. For the money, it's hard to touch the Stoptech kit.

-- Chris

Ok recently I checked compounds. I had a softer compound on the back compared to the front. iI swapped the rear pads with the same compound as the frts. I just came back from Mosport big track. The braking felt awesome there with this set up. No fade and lots of straight stopping. Mosport is a high speed bigger track than the last track i was at. The last track was a slower tight corner track with 2 straights and lots of corners. Im going to tray the new set up therre this weekend. I will let you know.

Ok recently I checked compounds. I had a softer compound on the back compared to the front. iI swapped the rear pads with the same compound as the frts. I just came back from Mosport big track. The braking felt awesome there with this set up. No fade and lots of straight stopping. Mosport is a high speed bigger track than the last track i was at. The last track was a slower tight corner track with 2 straights and lots of corners. Im going to tray the new set up therre this weekend. I will let you know.

If you have Brembo front and rear I would run a softer compound on the rear (like you had). You already have a 50/50 bias if you run the same pads F/R - not good. You want a slightly front bias both for safety and because you when you brake, the weight transfers forward.

On top of it, you never mentioned your suspension setup and tires (sizes and brand/model). ????

Last edited:
The AP Racing 6 piston front 4 piston rear kit is very nice, but the calipers are extremely wide, making wheel clearance a big problem. They are signficantly more offset to the outside of the car compared to even other very wide caliper kits, like the Stoptech kit. For the money, it's hard to touch the Stoptech kit.

-- Chris
Yes, the AP Racing 6-piston front caliper has 5mm more caliper protrusion in the direction of the spokes than the S/T 4-piston front. This will make it difficult for some wheels and not a big deal for others. And for all-out performance, it's hard to touch the AP Racing kit -- at any price.

Link to template: http://www.apracing.com/drawings/p16161.pdf

Last edited:
So how much is the AP front and rear kit?

Henry.

Yes, the AP Racing 6-piston front caliper has 5mm more caliper protrusion in the direction of the spokes than the S/T 4-piston front. This will make it difficult for some wheels and not a big deal for others. And for all-out performance, it's hard to touch the AP Racing kit -- at any price.

Link to template: http://www.apracing.com/drawings/p16161.pdf

For me personally, I can't imagine ever needing more than the Racing Brake big rotor upgrade kit. Inherently should maintain OE brake bias.
That would depend 100% on the driver and his/her intentions. Brake upgrades are made for drivers, regardless of what car they are driving.

My two cents...remove the brembo lotus calipers in the rear and go back to OEM NSX calipers only in the rear. Then only use the front Brembos...it works on my track car.

Which bbk will yield the best brake bias without installing the bias valve? Does the Stoptech bbk have this brake bias problem?

Henry.
Performance Friction:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134437&highlight=performance+friction

-Piston sizing designed specifically for the NSX with the stock master cylinder (or the same size master cylinders in a twin-master racing setup). Custom calipers, not "off the shelf" compromises. Bias optimized for the NSX's weight distribution, tire size, center of gravity, and background from PFC's JGTC racing background on the Epson NSX as well as input from FXMD's production-based Time Attack racecar.

-355x30mm rotors (14" rotors) increasing brake torque and 'bite', as well as distributing heat over a larger surface area to reduce overheating.

-PFC's "Multi-pad" caliper technology (same used in JGTC and ALMS Prototypes and Grand-Am DP). 4 brake pads PER caliper (one pad per piston) which improves even pad wear, brake modulation, and release characteristics.

-Forged Monoblock caliper. Not cast like many monoblocks on the market. Resulting in an extremely light and rigid caliper which improves brake consistency, pedal feel, and modulation.

These are by far the best brakes ever made for an NSX that i've driven on (and i've driven on most every system out there) -and is the same design and architecture that i've driven on in many professional race cars (Grand Am GS, GT, Speed World Challenge, etc...) and is arguably one of the best if not the best in that arena. Pricey - yes, but arguably the best option out there for the NSX.

Billy

Hey Billy,

Any issues with the multipad technology. IIRC the Z06 come with multiple pads at each rotor. I see so many at the track that got rid of the multiple pad set up and just get Stoptech's.

Back