• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Took it to the track today, fuel dumping out in front of LR tire?

I got the car up on the lift today It's pretty dirty under there and I was hoping to find a "fuel trail" in the muck, but I didn't find any evidence at all. Obviously, that's a pretty major drip, one that I'd expect to make a nice obvious trail in the grime.

I pulled the connections off the canister and it did immediately smell very sharply of gasoline, but then, that's sort of expected even if it is working normally, I would guess. I plugged off the vaccum lines and such to effectively disable the canister.

My plan right now is to take it back out on Sunday and run it hard. At that point, either it won't have an issue, or I'll try and get it up in the air at the track so that I can figure out where it is leaking from.

@Old Guy: I don't overfill my tank. I do fill it up before heading to the track, but it didn't have a problem until it was over half empty. I haven't done any of the tests in the service manual, but plan to at some point.

@Mac Attack: It's coming from approximately where the drain tube from the charcoal canister is located. I don't typically have a jack at the track, so I haven't had a chance to get under it while it's leaking. I replaced most of the lines last year and inspected everything I could get eyes, cameras, mirrors, etc on. That doesn't mean I didn't miss something, obviously.

If you can't see it, why not add UV die you can find at any car parts store to the fuel tank? You need about 1oz for every 5 gallons of gas, then a UV light and a really dark place to inspect. I would add a bit of gas after you dump in the UV die just to flush it all down the gas tank intake pipe.

I'm perhaps a bit overly-paranoid about leaking fuel or oil lines causing fires in the engine compartment, so I wouldn't recommend running it hard on the track. Maybe you can find something like a VERY small leak just revving in the driveway with an open hatch?

After normal driving do you get ANY fuel smell in the engine compartment at all?

Still dealing with this issue. I haven't really done much until recently. I put a new fuel cap on it and swapped a new PCV valve in (it was stuck open). Took it to the track today and smelled no fumes nor had any fuel leaking. We'll see if it continues to work correctly, I guess.

Back