• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Top Gear Series 11 Starts Sunday, June 22

Series 11 countdown: Cheap Alfa Challenge

We've long said on Top Gear that you can't call yourself a true petrolhead unless you've owned an Alfa Romeo.

Only when you've experienced the passion, the soul and the racing pedigree of a car from the pride of Milan will you know what it is to truly love cars. It's one of the few things Jeremy, Richard and James absolutely agree on.

Right then, said the Top Gear office, if that's what you three think then you can go off and buy a sub-£1,000 Alfa each and we'll set you a series of tests to prove that what you're actually getting into here isn't passion and soul but inconvenience, heartache and a sudden mysterious puddle of greenish liquid appearing under the passenger seat.

Except in the case of Hammond's chronically ill-judged purchase, which didn't have anything under the passenger seat except a hole through which you could see the road.

The new series of Top Gear kicks off at 8pm on Sunday June 22 on BBC Two.

http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/2951/

Series 11 countdown: Audi RS6 vs skier

In the last series, Jeremy got very excited by the Mercedes E63 estate and the BMW M5 Touring, which he successfully proved were superior to a large 4x4 when it came to that most realistic of all tests - blasting down the runway at Manchester Airport.

Clearly someone at Audi was paying attention to this and decided to crash the fast estate party with the RS6 Avant, boasting a turbocharged V10 and wheel arches nicked straight off Gene Hunt's Quattro.

So we sent Richard to the Alps to find out if it was good enough to overthrow the Merc/BMW axis of power.

And to make things more interesting, we organised a race against two fearsomely fearless French professional skiers.

It was always going to be a close fight, but Hammond had two things on his side. Firstly, the small matter of 572bhp. And secondly, the hope his adversaries would get distracted by some chalet girls and waste half an hour demonstrating how sensitive they are by running through Jack Johnson songs on their iPods.

Warning: This item may contain a Top Gear presenter speaking French. Badly.

Series 11 countdown: GT-R v Bullet Train

The Nissan GT-R is clearly quite a car.

The kind of car that's built with such obsession that its tyres are filled with nitrogen so they don't suffer excessive pressure change when they get hot.

The kind of car that has an engine hand-built in a hermetically sealed room to ensure absolute precision and cleanliness.

The kind of car that got Jeremy so excited he was prepared to fly all the way to Japan to drive it.

Unfortunately, Richard and James insisted on tagging along too, so the Top Gear office came up with a very special race.

Could Clarkson in his technofest Nissan get from one side of Japan to the other before Hammond and May could do the same trip using public transport?

But not just any public transport. Japanese public transport: the most reliable and, thanks to the famous 186mph Bullet Train, the fastest mass transit network in the world.

As we said, the Nissan GT-R is clearly quite a car. But then, against that sort of adversary, it needs to be.

Looking forward to see the new series.
1302557879vy8.jpg

Series 11 countdown: Top Gear vs the Germans

Not long ago, we got a call from Sabine Schmitz, legendary 'Ring-mistress, official Friend of Show and, as it turned out, presenter of the German television equivalent of Top Gear.

Our programme wants to take on your programme in a series of challenges, she said.

And because she's actually a bit scary and could probably kick our heads in a bit, we were powerless to say no.

Which is why we ended up in Belgium, the country invented to provide Britain and Germany with a neutral ground on which to have a fight.

All we had to do was show these impudent Teutons what was what in off-roaders, race cars, autotests and double-decker cars.

Oh yeah, and try not to mention the war. James might have mentioned it once, but we think he got away with it...

TG TV: Sunday

It felt like a long time since the last series of Top Gear, but the boys were back filming at the studio yesterday and all was right with the world again.

And if they pack as much into each Sunday night as they're about to this weekend, then it will all have been worth the wait.

In the first show of the new series, Jeremy, Richard and James dispense top tips on fuel consumption - who said they don't do proper consumer advice? - and The Stig gets back to what he does best: power testing Ferrari's awesome 430 Scuderia.

It's quicker around Maranello than the Enzo, so how will it do on the test track?

James introduces TG's newest team member, but don't worry, despite what the message boards are saying, the new character isn't replacing any of the presenters.

And the big film at the end of the show sees a new challenge being laid down for them; can they build better police cars than the real ones, while at the same time saving the taxpayers' money? They only get a thousand pounds mind.

There's also a change to the regular Star in a Reasonably Priced Car format that sees the double team of the Sunday Night Project's Justin Lee Collins and Alan Carr trying their best to be the, erm, best.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Series 11 countdown: reinventing the police car

Whenever you watch those 'Police! Smash! Wallop!' type programmes, there's always some German cop doing 200mph in a Porsche or an American sheriff going sideways in his Crown Vic, and something inevitably crashes or explodes or does a jump.

Then they come to footage of a British car chase and what do we offer? A wheel-shuffling Bobby in a diesel Astra failing to catch crims because he daren't drive up a kerb or down an alley in case he scratches the paintwork.

As a result, Britain is a laughing stock on the world stage of Cop! Action! Kill! television.

Top Gear decided it was time to do something about it. Plainly the problem here is that UK police pay too much for their cars and then can't afford to repair them if they get bumped.

So why not start with cheaper cars? Then they could bash them up without a care, looking groovy and stylish on camera while doing so, and if they got broken, they could simply throw them away and get another one.

Jeremy, Richard and James set out to prove this point by each buying what they believed to be an appropriate basis for a cop cruiser for less than £1,000, doing it up to look the part, and then meeting up to test its ability to bring law and order to a morally bankrupt wasteland. Well, our track, actually.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Series 11 countdown: old Rolls v old Merc

You know those stories you sometimes see in car magazines under headlines like 'Classic luxury for Mondeo money!'?

Clearly these had some effect on Jeremy and James, because both of them have gone out and bought moderately ancient barges for the price of a medium-sized Ford.

For Clarkson, a 'Grosse' Mercedes 600, the classic company car of dictators and despots the world over.

For May, the timeless elegance of a Rolls-Royce Corniche coupe, the one-time favourite wheels of, er, Elton John and Zsa Zsa Gabor. Although, as James testily points out, they had the less exclusive cabriolet version.

Our chaps were so proud of their new toys that the Top Gear office invited them along for some vaguely scientific tests at our track and in central London to find out if they would have been better off splashing their cash on a Mondeo.

Who knows, maybe they genuinely like spending their entire time either in a petrol station or causing a horrific traffic jam.

STOP ALREADY
you're getting me too excited !! :eek: :wink:

I know! The wait is intolerable!

And I just realized that none of the "series countdown" blurbs even mentioned the Dubai Veyron segment.

Series 11 countdown: GT-R v Bullet Train

The Nissan GT-R is clearly quite a car.

The kind of car that's built with such obsession that its tyres are filled with nitrogen so they don't suffer excessive pressure change when they get hot.

The kind of car that has an engine hand-built in a hermetically sealed room to ensure absolute precision and cleanliness.

The kind of car that got Jeremy so excited he was prepared to fly all the way to Japan to drive it.

Unfortunately, Richard and James insisted on tagging along too, so the Top Gear office came up with a very special race.

Could Clarkson in his technofest Nissan get from one side of Japan to the other before Hammond and May could do the same trip using public transport?

But not just any public transport. Japanese public transport: the most reliable and, thanks to the famous 186mph Bullet Train, the fastest mass transit network in the world.

As we said, the Nissan GT-R is clearly quite a car. But then, against that sort of adversary, it needs to be.

Just watched this episode and all I can say is WOW :eek:

It just makes it much more interesting the fact that these are places I've been to and that's the same train I took from Kyoto to Tokyo...:biggrin:

It's soooo funny to see them struggle the same way I do in Japan not speaking the language...priceless. I enjoyed every bit of this.

Just watched this episode and all I can say is WOW :eek:

It just makes it much more interesting the fact that these are places I've been to and that's the same train I took from Kyoto to Tokyo...:biggrin:

It's soooo funny to see them struggle the same way I do in Japan not speaking the language...priceless. I enjoyed every bit of this.

I was let down by the last episode, personally. They did very little commentating on the GTR, and too much emphasis on jokes. For a segment that takes up 50% of the show, I felt woefully underinformed on the car.

Last edited:
I was let down by the last episode, personally. They did very little commentating on the GTR, and too much emphasis on jokes. For a segment that takes up 50% of the show, I felt woefully underinformed on the car.

I felt the same way, but I assume they were saving most of it for when they air the proper road test [on a non-speed limited car hopefully] later in the season.

alright, call me an idiot... don't care as long as i can watch the episodes, but i got all the way to the episode list, clicked on a check mark, and then it went to some 'torrent' thing and i can't figure for the life of me how to download the episode...

any help for me and the rest of the computer-dumb fans out there would be appreciated...

torrents are just a link to a server/file.
you need a torrent program to know where to go and get the actual media file.
1) go to www.bittornado.com
2) download the program
3) install the program

THEN just click in the link to the torrent file, and select open (a torrent file is just a tiny file that will direct the torrent program to the server).
after selecting open, the torrent program will automatically come up and ask you where to save the file...... then you just save like a normal file and it will download

you can also search for all sorts of different torrent files on sites like mininova.org.

Back