• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Top speed

What is the fastest top end you can reach on the stock 5 speed and 6 speed transmissions, if you have plenty of HP to max out the gears?

I have heard that the max speed is due to the transmission gears and I have also heard it is because of limited HP.

Has anyone with NOS or FI tried to reach the top end? If so what was your speed?

An indicated 8300-ish RPM with speedo indicated well beyond the last marker (185). This is on a car with 5 speed, and 4.06 gears. Car was making just over 360 rwhp with BEGI TT kit. With enough power, the 6 sp equipped cars should top 200.

The front end will get a tad floaty at high-speeds.

If you plan on doing over 130 on a semi-regular basis, you may want to consider some mods to reduce lift on the front-end. Three possibilities to remedy front-end lift, vented hood(my favorite), front-lip spoiler, and/or front kanards.

It is my understnading that a few years ago Comptech's infamous yellow supercharger geared with 6 speed tried to push the 200 mph for bragging rights for a corporate American Honda enthusiast. It hit over 190 mph but could not cross the 200 mph barrier primarily due to drag given it had a wide body ............. but then again, what do I know ...... I am just reporting what I heard ......

The car is not particularly rock-stable over 165....it does get a tad light on the front. FWIW, the car had only a WW front lip on an otherwise stock body at that time. I've seen mid 170's (GPS) in it's current configuration with a JS extreme front end, burn up vented hood MH skirts, WW spats, and burn-up wing and I didn't detect any difference between this and stock bodywork. I'm in the process of installing a wide body kit.......I'll let you know how it does after that--hopefully the extra track will add a bit of stability.

Best regards,

Ben

I believe there was a story of Paul Tracy racing a AMG Benz on his way home from Las Vegas a few years ago. Paul was on his way home and this Benz wanted to play so he put it down they stayed even until the Benz hit the governer at around 150. I guess he just kept hauling until he saw 189mph his car then was a 2000 Yellow NSX with all the Comptech upgrades including the Supercharger. Pretty funny if you ask me of all the people in the world to mess with you end up screwing around with a professional CART Driver.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Ben-

Have you run your car top-end with the front-end aero mods and without the rear-wing?

With the addition of a large (relatively speaking) rear wing, I would think that the increased drag/downforce on the rear end would make any front-end differences less noticeable.

I would contend that if you did 170 with completely stock body work and then followed that up by repeating that run..... but only with front-end mods, that you would notice a significant improvement in front-end stability.

Sig said:
The front end will get a tad floaty at high-speeds.

If you plan on doing over 130 on a semi-regular basis, you may want to consider some mods to reduce lift on the front-end. Three possibilities to remedy front-end lift, vented hood(my favorite), front-lip spoiler, and/or front kanards.

To me a totally stock NSX feels very well planted at 160. Not at all "floaty ". But once you start messing with suspension, alignment settings, wheel/tires, etc. you risk upsetting the balance and then it's up to you to get it back to as stable as Honda delivered it.

I know this will sound funny, but the red car and the present white car are very stable at around 140ish, but when I lowered the red car, it was less stable at that speed. Not exactly sure why. I now run a vented hood, and will have a splitter and underbody tray soon, so front end floaters should be a thing of the past:D

Turbo NSX said:
What is the fastest top end you can reach on the stock 5 speed and 6 speed transmissions, if you have plenty of HP to max out the gears?

I have heard that the max speed is due to the transmission gears and I have also heard it is because of limited HP.

A stock NSX's top speed is drag (HP) limited, and nowhere close to being gear limited.

With sufficient power, simple math shows that a US 5-speed NSX will top out around 186 MPH and a 6-speed around 202 MPH. The real world numbers would probably be a tad higher than the calculated ones because the tires would get taller spinning that fast.

P.S. Paul Tracy actually claimed be was at 193 MPH in that story. While I'm sure he raced somebody and won and probably went really fast, I think he's blowing smoke about the actual speed. The details in the story just didn't add up.

Re: Re: Top speed

Lud said:
...P.S. Paul Tracy actually claimed be was at 193 MPH in that story. While I'm sure he raced somebody and won and probably went really fast, I think he's blowing smoke about the actual speed. The details in the story just didn't add up.

What, a racer embellish on the facts? Surely you jest! ;)

ncdogdoc said:
I know this will sound funny, but the red car and the present white car are very stable at around 140ish, but when I lowered the red car, it was less stable at that speed. Not exactly sure why.

Some people think I exaggerate the impact of extremely minor changes in front/rear ride height, but if lowering the car and/or changing tires results in the front being even slightly higher than the rear, it can make a difference at those speeds. On the other hand, it is possible that being closer to the ground caused a change in airflow that messed up the balance. And yet when I installed H&R springs + Konis my car seemed at least as stable and of course better controlled when the surface was not dead flat.

Another possible reason for a car feeling different after lowering is a poor balance between springs and dampers. Both over-damped and under-damped combinations can make a car nervous at speed on a less than flat/smooth road. Under-damped (as with H&R + Bilstein) might well feel "floaty" and over-damped a tendency to skip.

On a 97' NSX-T we did a top speed run on our dyno. It is a Dynojet 248c, we managed 190.3 mph. The only mod was a custom Thermal cat-back. Of course their is no drag, but it gives an idea of what the gearing is. Mo - Elite.

I have a European extended speedo that goes up all the way to 320 kph (200 mph). With the car in stock trim (a little lowerec though) the car seems to have little trouble putting 280 kph (174 mph) on the clock and even then the tacho is read about 7200 rpm.
I haven't driven it that often (last Sunday for the last time abd that was with some luggage and my sister) and the car does tend to feel a bit light in the front at such speeds but I do not find it very uncomfortable. So much depends on the quality of the road at such speeds (not to mention wheels and shocks/springs).

I do 140/150 mph regurlarly but never for very long because of my fear of getting caught. At such speeds the car is very stable and, to me at least, very confidence inspiring. Even hard braking doesn't upset it although you have to make sure the tires don't start following every slit in the road.

I'e got RM white dial that have been recalabrated to 220mph
with the nitrous i've had my car a little over 190mph on a flat surface. if i was on a downhill i think i could have got more i did have a passanger also. i found that the nsx with stock trim handels better i had the phase wing and found it put too much down force on the rear end and i only had the ww front lip in the front.
deffently get scarey at those speeds though.

smoore said:
I'e got RM white dial that have been recalabrated to 220mph
with the nitrous i've had my car a little over 190mph on a flat surface. if i was on a downhill i think i could have got more i did have a passanger also. i found that the nsx with stock trim handels better i had the phase wing and found it put too much down force on the rear end and i only had the ww front lip in the front.
deffently get scarey at those speeds though.

Stu, you have mail

Back